Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Any interest for a Theatre of Magic shooter rod?

maxi

Hey folks

To those of you who are TOM owners, I was investigating getting a custom shooter rod out of the US but for $80USD plus shipping it made it about $150 which just about killed it, but I still really like the idea of a custom plunger.

So, I'm thinking about making my own, a resin model of the trunk from TOM which will be coloured black and gold like in the game. Plus, since I can round the corners of it, it will be nicer to hold than that awkward spherical one on the original.

If anyone else is interested in this, or another shooter for another game for that matter, drop a comment on this thread so I can get an idea of interest, as the materials for this have to be bought in reasonable quantity, so I'll have to make a few to make it feasible.

If I have enough people to participate, I'll put pics up here of the project for show and tell.

As for cost, I'm unsure as to what the price will come in at, but it should be under half of the landed cost from the US.

Thanks!

Max

Thanks for the interest so far guys.

I have worked with resin and various epoxies before but not as much for pinball applications. Prototypes are modelled with clays or in CAD depending on complexity and detail, so anything that is reasonably solid at its core and will keep its shape is possible. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't be practical is a very long, thin and structurally unsound model, and even then, the resin is quite strong and flexible, but since its on a shooter rod and is being constantly handled, I will make these so that they can take a beating.

Keep the interest coming! Happy to answer questions

Max

• 2 months later...
@maxi, Max have you made any progress with the trunk shooter rod?

Thanks for the free bump Simon ;) I've been smashed with HSC but have done some modelling and will do a test hopefully with the trunk, genie for TOTAN and a CV ringmaster. Things always come to a bit of a halt in exams and trials are coming up for me but I will update this thread when progress is made :)

Max