State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted
    609 Post(s)
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    Excellent work and score. How much further do you think you can take your score? You finished on the same level as before, do you think you will be able to go further in future, and if so, how will you gain those skills and the strategy?
    Thanks OOO.

It is possible to increase my score significantly and still finish at the same level I am on.

I estimate I am missing around another million points by short cutting, playing for survival, not having a solid plan for some of the levels and running out of skill on other levels.

To answer your question of 'how will you gain those skills and the strategy?', I think it is a two part answer.

1. I need more pepper to clear the level I am up to. It is just brutal. It is not possible to get out of the lower part of the stage without multiple peppers. I save peppers during my game and was taught by @RMacauley that pepper is more valuable than lives but old habits die hard and I still waste multiple peppers throughout the game for survival. Once I have the discipline to sacrifice a life instead of a pepper I will perform better.

2. I don't use save states when practicing games. I play the same way we did back in the day. Play, learn, get a bit further, play again, learn some more, get a bit further and so on. The problem here is that it takes me almost an hour to get to the million point mark. That is a slow way to learn.
    If I really want to work that level out I think I will need to create a save state and practice it. Different players view save states differently. I have never really been a fan of them as it doesn't feel like it is in the spirit of the game. I may change that view if I get frustrated enough.

Here is a link to level 20. This is as far as I can get (so far).
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/375981953
    Last edited by bigredbird; 1 Week Ago at 06:29 PM.

My Twitch stream - twitch.tv/bigredbird1

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1099 Post(s)
    Australia
    Your suggestions in your points 1 and 2, I suggest, would be helpful to your goal. Without them, well ... it's an ugly story.

May all your BurgerTimes be good ones. A great game and delicious. I like your goal and the other gamers who have posted doing better on the games they love .

FunnyBurger.jpg

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredbird View Post
    Here is a link to level 20. This is as far as I can get (so far).
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/375981953
    I just had a look and when you did get out you dropped more ingredients on level 20 then I've ever managed to drop when I've got out. Well done.

I haven't played since the Kong Off. Might need to shake off the cobwebs soon

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted
    609 Post(s)
    Australia

MGL Personal Challenge Tracker

Yeeeeeesssssssss!
    Got it!

New PB on BurgerTime but, more importantly, I made it through level 20!

Take that @RMacauley! (Yes, yes... I know you can double my score but you've never been to level 21!)

After reading the question from @OOO about how I would improve my score and giving it some thought, I put those thoughts into action.

Point pressed, got greedy on the rounds that have high risk/high reward to get the extra points I needed to improve my score.

Biggest difference in this game was finally having the discipline not to use pepper unless for grouping (well, most of the time - wasted a few). I had more peppers in reserve than I've ever had before, at one point I had 17 peppers ready to use.

I entered the level 20 'death trap' with 15 peppers in hand. I sacrificed a few men working out a plan and then went for it.
    It was messy but I made it. I was live streaming the game on Twitch and @dazzer mentioned I probably should make a save state to practice later. By the time I read that in the chat I was down to 5 peppers. I save stated the game at that point and will do some work on that level later.

I am a bit annoyed that I forgot to save state it at the start of the level when I had 15 peppers. Now that I have seen level 21 I can see that it is as pepper hungry as level 20. I don't think my 5 peppers will be enough to practice with!

Anyway, I am really happy to have got past that level. I finished with a new PB of 1,261,550.

Twitch link here - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/378235135
    Language warning! Some celebratory, some pure frustration!

Check out the screenshot - it's written right there on top in red letters - "DON'T WASTE PEPPERS"

ImageUploadedByAussie Arcade1549771525.264388.jpg
    Last edited by bigredbird; 1 Week Ago at 08:41 PM.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    343 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1099 Post(s)
    Australia
    Yeeeeeesssssssss!
    Got it!

New PB on BurgerTime but, more importantly, I made it through level 20!

Anyway, I am really happy to have got past that level. I finished with a new PB of 1,261,550.
    Hey that's terrific news. Looks like you can improve on this score before level 20 as well. Great stuff. Thanks for streaming on Twitch. I wonder if @RMacauley will be playing as well to improve his score? I think he should try, because he can. It's the MGL off season, so a very good time to game some burgers.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by OOO View Post
    I wonder if RMacauley will be playing as well to improve his score? I think he should try, because he can. It's the MGL off season, so a very good time to game some burgers.
    I might think about it since there's nothing on TV tonight worth watching

I realized something in my 2.6M game that might get me through 20 depending on how many peppers I have when I get there. As for 21 from what I saw on bigredbird's twitch recording and JD Lowe's youtube video a while back it's a whole new ball game from here on. To get to that "kill screen" will require dealing with one more fast loop. Easier said than done

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted
    609 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by RMacauley View Post
    I might think about it since there's nothing on TV tonight worth watching

I realized something in my 2.6M game that might get me through 20 depending on how many peppers I have when I get there. As for 21 from what I saw on bigredbird's twitch recording and JD Lowe's youtube video a while back it's a whole new ball game from here on. To get to that "kill screen" will require dealing with one more fast loop. Easier said than done
    Level 21 looks just as crazy as level 20.
    I have rewatched my recording of level 21 and I have a few ideas of how to get to the top.

Just need one ingredient to help get there though...

IMG_3933.JPG

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quoted
    609 Post(s)
    Australia

MGL Personal Challenge Tracker

I have spent hours using the save state I created part way through the dreaded level 20 to try and work out how to survive more than a few seconds.
    I sprayed a LOT of pepper and tried so many ways to get out of the bottom section and just could not work it out.

This might sound crazy (it know it does) but the answer came to me in a dream!
    I was in bed visualising the level and everything I had tried. I must have gone to sleep thinking about it. I woke sometime during the night and had a moment of clarity. I knew what I had to do.

I had a game the following morning starting from my save state at level 20.
    It worked!
    Instead of using multiple peppers and failing to get out of the bottom area, I have worked out a way to do it with just two peppers! I used a few more as the level went on and cleared it again!
    I am sure with practice and working out a strategy, I will be able to clear the level using just the two peppers. What a breakthrough!

I have also managed to clear level 21 and I have cleared all but one top bun on level 22.

ImageUploadedByAussie Arcade1550055334.767806.jpg ImageUploadedByAussie Arcade1550055352.016808.jpg

These were achieved by using save states and playing over and over again.

All that practice helped because I had a game (from the start) tonight and managed to clear level 20 again! (Then fell to pieces and forgot all I'd practiced on level 21.)

@RMacauley I know if you watch my game back on Twitch and use my method on level 20 you will be well on the way to the 'kill screen'. The strategy I came up with is similar to the one you taught me for the start of level 17.
    As it turns out, the level we had the most trouble with is the easiest of the whole game to group the ingredients!

My game tonight also had a glitch I had not seen before.
    When I was approaching the million point mark (around 980k I think) the game starting playing the 'extra' sound multiple times every time I dropped an ingredient. I have heard this happen before but not to the extent that happened in this game.
    I haven't rewatched my game yet to count the men but I estimate it must have been around 50 extra men.
    When I got to level 22 and ran out of pepper I just let the game play out without touching the controls. It took 14 minutes to lose all the extra men.

There is still a lot of work to do to get to the level 28 kill screen but I have made a big breakthrough over the last few days.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quoted
    622 Post(s)
    Australia
    I have spent hours using the save state I created part way through the dreaded level 20 to try and work out how to survive more than a few seconds.
    I sprayed a LOT of pepper and tried so many ways to get out of the bottom section and just could not work it out.

This might sound crazy (it know it does) but the answer came to me in a dream!
    I was in bed visualising the level and everything I had tried. I must have gone to sleep thinking about it. I woke sometime during the night and had a moment of clarity. I knew what I had to do.

I had a game the following morning starting from my save state at level 20.
    It worked!
    Instead of using multiple peppers and failing to get out of the bottom area, I have worked out a way to do it with just two peppers! I used a few more as the level went on and cleared it again!
    I am sure with practice and working out a strategy, I will be able to clear the level using just the two peppers. What a breakthrough!

I have also managed to clear level 21 and I have cleared all but one top bun on level 22.

ImageUploadedByAussie Arcade1550055334.767806.jpg ImageUploadedByAussie Arcade1550055352.016808.jpg

These were achieved by using save states and playing over and over again.

All that practice helped because I had a game (from the start) tonight and managed to clear level 20 again! (Then fell to pieces and forgot all I'd practiced on level 21.)

@RMacauley I know if you watch my game back on Twitch and use my method on level 20 you will be well on the way to the 'kill screen'. The strategy I came up with is similar to the one you taught me for the start of level 17.
    As it turns out, the level we had the most trouble with is the easiest of the whole game to group the ingredients!

My game tonight also had a glitch I had not seen before.
    When I was approaching the million point mark (around 980k I think) the game starting playing the 'extra' sound multiple times every time I dropped an ingredient. I have heard this happen before but not to the extent that happened in this game.
    I haven't rewatched my game yet to count the men but I estimate it must have been around 50 extra men.
    When I got to level 22 and ran out of pepper I just let the game play out without touching the controls. It took 14 minutes to lose all the extra men.

There is still a lot of work to do to get to the level 28 kill screen but I have made a big breakthrough over the last few days.
    Level 22? My only response to that is

I can explain to a certain degree the glitch you saw. Between the last extra life before rolling the score and reaching the rollover at 1 million the game gives an extra life every time points are scored. Why this happens I have no idea but a lot of games from that era have this bug. From what I've read Defender gives the extra lives until 1 million then won't give another extra life until you've earned enough points to "pay" for the lives you've earned. I don't think that applies to Burgertime. Circus Charlie has the same bug in 2 places between 900K and maxing the score at 999,999.

I save stated level 20 the other day from the recording I made in MGL and while my method got me out I used a lot more peppers and died 3 times before clearing the level. Had 1 pepper left on 21 and quit after using it up. I'll have a look at your game on Twitch and we'll see what happens. I hadn't even thought about level 22. Looks like I've got some work to do.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information