Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL Personal Challenge Tracker

Excellent work and score. How much further do you think you can take your score? You finished on the same level as before, do you think you will be able to go further in future, and if so, how will you gain those skills and the strategy?

Thanks OOO.

It is possible to increase my score significantly and still finish at the same level I am on.

I estimate I am missing around another million points by short cutting, playing for survival, not having a solid plan for some of the levels and running out of skill on other levels.

To answer your question of 'how will you gain those skills and the strategy?', I think it is a two part answer.

1. I need more pepper to clear the level I am up to. It is just brutal. It is not possible to get out of the lower part of the stage without multiple peppers. I save peppers during my game and was taught by @RMacauley that pepper is more valuable than lives but old habits die hard and I still waste multiple peppers throughout the game for survival. Once I have the discipline to sacrifice a life instead of a pepper I will perform better.

2. I don't use save states when practicing games. I play the same way we did back in the day. Play, learn, get a bit further, play again, learn some more, get a bit further and so on. The problem here is that it takes me almost an hour to get to the million point mark. That is a slow way to learn.

If I really want to work that level out I think I will need to create a save state and practice it. Different players view save states differently. I have never really been a fan of them as it doesn't feel like it is in the spirit of the game. I may change that view if I get frustrated enough.

Here is a link to level 20. This is as far as I can get (so far).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/375981953

Edited by bigredbird

Your suggestions in your points 1 and 2, I suggest, would be helpful to your goal. Without them, well ... it's an ugly story.

May all your BurgerTimes be good ones. A great game and delicious. I like your goal and the other gamers who have posted doing better on the games they love :049:.

:)

FunnyBurger.jpg.d82b070eb980c88f8cb3686a86fbc24e.jpg

Here is a link to level 20. This is as far as I can get (so far).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/375981953

I just had a look and when you did get out you dropped more ingredients on level 20 then I've ever managed to drop when I've got out. Well done.

I haven't played since the Kong Off. Might need to shake off the cobwebs soon

Yeeeeeesssssssss!

Got it!

New PB on BurgerTime but, more importantly, I made it through level 20!

Take that @RMacauley! (Yes, yes... I know you can double my score but you've never been to level 21!)

After reading the question from @OOO about how I would improve my score and giving it some thought, I put those thoughts into action.

Point pressed, got greedy on the rounds that have high risk/high reward to get the extra points I needed to improve my score.

Biggest difference in this game was finally having the discipline not to use pepper unless for grouping (well, most of the time - wasted a few). I had more peppers in reserve than I've ever had before, at one point I had 17 peppers ready to use.

I entered the level 20 'death trap' with 15 peppers in hand. I sacrificed a few men working out a plan and then went for it.

It was messy but I made it. I was live streaming the game on Twitch and @dazzer mentioned I probably should make a save state to practice later. By the time I read that in the chat I was down to 5 peppers. I save stated the game at that point and will do some work on that level later.

I am a bit annoyed that I forgot to save state it at the start of the level when I had 15 peppers. Now that I have seen level 21 I can see that it is as pepper hungry as level 20. I don't think my 5 peppers will be enough to practice with!

Anyway, I am really happy to have got past that level. I finished with a new PB of 1,261,550.

Twitch link here - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/378235135

Language warning! Some celebratory, some pure frustration!

Check out the screenshot - it's written right there on top in red letters - "DON'T WASTE PEPPERS"

1908705435_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1549771525.264388.thumb.jpg.fae09af0bced6f282f8ca17496703741.jpg

Edited by bigredbird

Yeeeeeesssssssss!

Got it!

New PB on BurgerTime but, more importantly, I made it through level 20!

Anyway, I am really happy to have got past that level. I finished with a new PB of 1,261,550.

Hey that's terrific news. Looks like you can improve on this score before level 20 as well. Great stuff. Thanks for streaming on Twitch. I wonder if @RMacauley will be playing as well to improve his score? I think he should try, because he can. It's the MGL off season, so a very good time to game some burgers.

:041:

I wonder if RMacauley will be playing as well to improve his score? I think he should try, because he can. It's the MGL off season, so a very good time to game some burgers.

I might think about it since there's nothing on TV tonight worth watching ;)

I realized something in my 2.6M game that might get me through 20 depending on how many peppers I have when I get there. As for 21 from what I saw on bigredbird's twitch recording and JD Lowe's youtube video a while back it's a whole new ball game from here on. To get to that "kill screen" will require dealing with one more fast loop. Easier said than done

I might think about it since there's nothing on TV tonight worth watching ;)

I realized something in my 2.6M game that might get me through 20 depending on how many peppers I have when I get there. As for 21 from what I saw on bigredbird's twitch recording and JD Lowe's youtube video a while back it's a whole new ball game from here on. To get to that "kill screen" will require dealing with one more fast loop. Easier said than done

Level 21 looks just as crazy as level 20.

I have rewatched my recording of level 21 and I have a few ideas of how to get to the top.

Just need one ingredient to help get there though...

IMG_3933.JPG.c45cd510c323bb13bc8f5b7fb021d8fc.JPG

I have spent hours using the save state I created part way through the dreaded level 20 to try and work out how to survive more than a few seconds.

I sprayed a LOT of pepper and tried so many ways to get out of the bottom section and just could not work it out.

This might sound crazy (it know it does) but the answer came to me in a dream!

I was in bed visualising the level and everything I had tried. I must have gone to sleep thinking about it. I woke sometime during the night and had a moment of clarity. I knew what I had to do.

I had a game the following morning starting from my save state at level 20.

It worked!

Instead of using multiple peppers and failing to get out of the bottom area, I have worked out a way to do it with just two peppers! I used a few more as the level went on and cleared it again!

I am sure with practice and working out a strategy, I will be able to clear the level using just the two peppers. What a breakthrough!

I have also managed to clear level 21 and I have cleared all but one top bun on level 22.

947714751_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1550055334.767806.thumb.jpg.b25455bc37b7e70059974ef977210083.jpg 2012989649_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1550055352.016808.thumb.jpg.052f63dc05f4cf0d19bb90b45048a1e2.jpg

These were achieved by using save states and playing over and over again.

All that practice helped because I had a game (from the start) tonight and managed to clear level 20 again! (Then fell to pieces and forgot all I'd practiced on level 21.)

@RMacauley I know if you watch my game back on Twitch and use my method on level 20 you will be well on the way to the 'kill screen'. The strategy I came up with is similar to the one you taught me for the start of level 17.

As it turns out, the level we had the most trouble with is the easiest of the whole game to group the ingredients!

My game tonight also had a glitch I had not seen before.

When I was approaching the million point mark (around 980k I think) the game starting playing the 'extra' sound multiple times every time I dropped an ingredient. I have heard this happen before but not to the extent that happened in this game.

I haven't rewatched my game yet to count the men but I estimate it must have been around 50 extra men.

When I got to level 22 and ran out of pepper I just let the game play out without touching the controls. It took 14 minutes to lose all the extra men.

There is still a lot of work to do to get to the level 28 kill screen but I have made a big breakthrough over the last few days.

I have spent hours using the save state I created part way through the dreaded level 20 to try and work out how to survive more than a few seconds.

I sprayed a LOT of pepper and tried so many ways to get out of the bottom section and just could not work it out.

This might sound crazy (it know it does) but the answer came to me in a dream!

I was in bed visualising the level and everything I had tried. I must have gone to sleep thinking about it. I woke sometime during the night and had a moment of clarity. I knew what I had to do.

I had a game the following morning starting from my save state at level 20.

It worked!

Instead of using multiple peppers and failing to get out of the bottom area, I have worked out a way to do it with just two peppers! I used a few more as the level went on and cleared it again!

I am sure with practice and working out a strategy, I will be able to clear the level using just the two peppers. What a breakthrough!

I have also managed to clear level 21 and I have cleared all but one top bun on level 22.

[ATTACH]142877[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]142878[/ATTACH]

These were achieved by using save states and playing over and over again.

All that practice helped because I had a game (from the start) tonight and managed to clear level 20 again! (Then fell to pieces and forgot all I'd practiced on level 21.)

@RMacauley I know if you watch my game back on Twitch and use my method on level 20 you will be well on the way to the 'kill screen'. The strategy I came up with is similar to the one you taught me for the start of level 17.

As it turns out, the level we had the most trouble with is the easiest of the whole game to group the ingredients!

My game tonight also had a glitch I had not seen before.

When I was approaching the million point mark (around 980k I think) the game starting playing the 'extra' sound multiple times every time I dropped an ingredient. I have heard this happen before but not to the extent that happened in this game.

I haven't rewatched my game yet to count the men but I estimate it must have been around 50 extra men.

When I got to level 22 and ran out of pepper I just let the game play out without touching the controls. It took 14 minutes to lose all the extra men.

There is still a lot of work to do to get to the level 28 kill screen but I have made a big breakthrough over the last few days.

Level 22? My only response to that is

:sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1::sm1:

I can explain to a certain degree the glitch you saw. Between the last extra life before rolling the score and reaching the rollover at 1 million the game gives an extra life every time points are scored. Why this happens I have no idea but a lot of games from that era have this bug. From what I've read Defender gives the extra lives until 1 million then won't give another extra life until you've earned enough points to "pay" for the lives you've earned. I don't think that applies to Burgertime. Circus Charlie has the same bug in 2 places between 900K and maxing the score at 999,999.

I save stated level 20 the other day from the recording I made in MGL and while my method got me out I used a lot more peppers and died 3 times before clearing the level. Had 1 pepper left on 21 and quit after using it up. I'll have a look at your game on Twitch and we'll see what happens. I hadn't even thought about level 22. Looks like I've got some work to do.

BURGERTIME 2,630,750 L21

FINALLY.....LEVEL 21!!!!!!!!!!!

btime.png.68f04cdb7cb405b95be5bd532d6c6b13.pngbtim0003.png.3aa8a62ddaaab0e445fb00de12eea8ac.png

It's been a long time coming (over 15 years I'm guessing) but despite playing a very ordinary game to get there using the method @bigredbird used when I got out I stayed out and cleared the level. The down side was using more than 2 peppers to group the enemies I only had 2 for level 21. Dropped a few ingredients before running out of peppers. I need to watch again and perfect that grouping technique using less peppers.

Absolutely over the moon right now. Can't thank bigredbird enough for the solution to a massive roadblock in this game.

The game was recorded but won't be submitted to TG due to a lot of crap happening in the background causing the gameplay to stutter badly quite often. Made the game a lot harder when it happened but didn't cause any deaths. Probably wouldn't pass the average 95% speed rule.

One step closer to the "killscreen"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]143303[/ATTACH]

It's been a long time coming (over 15 years I'm guessing) but despite playing a very ordinary game to get there using the method @bigredbird used when I got out I stayed out and cleared the level. The down side was using more than 2 peppers to group the enemies I only had 2 for level 21. Dropped a few ingredients before running out of peppers. I need to watch again and perfect that grouping technique using less peppers.

Absolutely over the moon right now. Can't thank bigredbird enough for the solution to a massive roadblock in this game.

The game was recorded but won't be submitted to TG due to a lot of crap happening in the background causing the gameplay to stutter badly quite often. Made the game a lot harder when it happened but didn't cause any deaths. Probably wouldn't pass the average 95% speed rule.

Over 15 years you say, and now this! Awesome! More burgers, my favourite!

Congratulations. How much further will you take the score, how exciting, we’ll see ...

:023:

Over 15 years you say, and now this! Awesome! More burgers, my favourite!

Congratulations. How much further will you take the score, how exciting, we’ll see ...

:023:

15 years easily. From what I can find J.D. Lowe posted his level 1 walkthrough around 2002-2003. That's what improved my game into 6 then 7 figures from 20k or so on a good day.

As for how much further thanks to the massive speed increase it's a whole new game from here and everything I know is wrong. I'll need to learn new survival strategies and play better earlier to gain and conserve more peppers. As for level 28.... I hope I'm not another 120+ years older before I get there. 15 years+ per level might take a while

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]143303[/ATTACH]

Congratulations Rob!

I am so happy for you. 15 years is a long time to wait to make those burgers!

A lot more hard work ahead to get to level 28.

You are going to need more pepper!

I'm still in shock. A new PB by a looooooong way.

Decided to try Burgertime on wolf166 instead of my usual wolf106. No stuttering in the gameplay and since the game was recorded hopefully above 95% average speed. I'll check later. Despite a few mistakes along the way this is by far my best performance on this game. Allow me to go all "Bruce McAvaney" for a minute and bombard you with needless stats. :lol

Score after level 6 (1st loop): 862,850

1st rollover: level 7

Score after level 12: 1,774,100

2nd rollover: level 14

Most peppers: 20 at the start of level 16

Score after level 18: 2,888,600

3rd rollover: level 19

Started level 20 with 3,100,200 and 17 peppers, wasted 1 by throwing 1 left instead of up. Grouped on the next life, made a few drops then the grouping broke apart. Died, regrouped and cleared the level despite having to break my golden rule of never using pepper as a weapon. It did regroup them though so all good.

Started level 21 with 3,293,550 and 8 peppers. got down to 2 peppers left and somehow managed to fluke a grouping with my last pepper. Cleared all except 4 burger parts.

Very happy with this one. Still a long way to go though.

Beer time. I think I've earned it :40s::40s:

0000.png.ab93f67f09d6e19af750ba41e3fef40b.png

0001.png.98acb63b97fddd7e98f87c6e2a9da2ec.png

0002.png.58ca31f0f20096e23db7e0f7ba614ecf.png

I'm still in shock. A new PB by a looooooong way.

Beer time. I think I've earned it :40s::40s:

WOW! Just WOW!

Congratulations Rob, that is a massive increase and a massive score overall.

Enjoy that beer, you have definitely earned it.

910094630_beerpouring.gif.b10fd37847a6ef2a606028b90dd0e822.gif

What is the strategy going forward?

Are you going to run boards and clear quickly or continue with the point gathering?

I know you really want to get to level 28 but it will be tough to maximise points on every piece at the increased game speed.

I think you have plenty of pepper to do it.

Using save states I have cleared level 21 with 5 peppers and I have cleared all but one piece of level 22 with 5 peppers.

If you are starting level 20 with 17 peppers then I think you can do it easily by running boards... however, your 3.3 million score tells me that you are not a running boards kind of guy.

So... what are you going to do? :unsure

WOW! Just WOW!

Congratulations Rob, that is a massive increase and a massive score overall.

Enjoy that beer, you have definitely earned it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]143372[/ATTACH]

What is the strategy going forward?

Are you going to run boards and clear quickly or continue with the point gathering?

I know you really want to get to level 28 but it will be tough to maximise points on every piece at the increased game speed.

I think you have plenty of pepper to do it.

Using save states I have cleared level 21 with 5 peppers and I have cleared all but one piece of level 22 with 5 peppers.

If you are starting level 20 with 17 peppers then I think you can do it easily by running boards... however, your 3.3 million score tells me that you are not a running boards kind of guy.

So... what are you going to do? :unsure

The beers are going down nicely.

Right now I haven't thought too much about 22 and beyond. Now that 20 isn't the massive roadblock it once was I'm looking at 21 and thinking I can get past it sooner rather than later. It won't take over 15 years this time.

Most of my point pressing will come from before 20 though. If I can (accidentally or not) group on 21 or above I'll be dropping as many pieces at once as I can trying to clear the level. The pepper count this time was higher than my average. The first time I cleared 20 I had 8 or 9 peppers going into the level.

I guess I just play it by ear, clear whatever levels I can and if eventually I start making it to 28 regularly then I start thinking about pressing more. I still can't group on the level 5 screens so maybe I'll work on that for a while. Decisions, decisions.

One thing is certain. Cracking another beer right now :40s::40s::40s::40s::40s::40s:

Most of my point pressing will come from before 20 though. If I can (accidentally or not) group on 21 or above I'll be dropping as many pieces at once as I can trying to clear the level. The pepper count this time was higher than my average. The first time I cleared 20 I had 8 or 9 peppers going into the level.

I have worked out an quick easy grouping for 21. It can be done in the first 10-15 seconds. The problem for me is the enemy speed, I haven't worked out where to go to keep them together.

I think you will breeze through 22. It plays the same as that level as it does for the rest of the game - get up, group in the usual spot and you'll be onto 23 in no time.

Looking forward to your continued progress.

Edited by bigredbird

I'm still in shock. A new PB by a looooooong way. Allow me to go all "Bruce McAvaney" for a minute and bombard you with needless stats. :lol

Great score and great stats. Congratulations on the 700K improvement.

:cheers:

Currently uploading the 3.3M Burgertime score to TG. It's been a long process. Playing back the input while recording took 1hour 30 minutes and the upload is currently at 71% at 38kb per second. After all this the bloody thing better get accepted :lol

More useless stats.

1 hour 31 minutes total game time

16 minutes 53 seconds killing off 118 lives at the end of the game

I've been back into Bagman recently. I hadn't really played this since way back in MGL 27.

I set myself a target of clearing level 1.

This is a tough game and it has taken many credits but I made it tonight. Twice!

I was live streaming on Twitch at the time and the link is below if you would like to watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/390660369

I've been back into Bagman recently. I hadn't really played this since way back in MGL 27.

I set myself a target of clearing level 1.

This is a tough game and it has taken many credits but I made it tonight. Twice!

I was live streaming on Twitch at the time and the link is below if you would like to watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/390660369

Watched your Twitch game. That was fun. Also it's pretty amazing that most gamers jump off a cliff instead of letting those nasty chasers enjoy their dirty work. Then it's Ay yi yi ... :082: ... :laugh:

I'm always happy with a new PB - especially when it's a Mr. Do! PB!

I've been playing this game a fair bit over the last couple of weeks.

Had some tips from Dazzer and falcor yesterday while they were watching me play. There is always something to learn!

I'm really happy with this new PB and have now set a target of breaking 200k on this game.

Twitch link below if you would like to watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/392683847

644145474_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1552118077.304977.thumb.jpg.1506552bb7a93f033a7b7b5496360f28.jpg

I was attempting to beat some of my old TG scores this morning without success and in a moment of madness decided to have a crack at Mr Do on tournament settings.

Medium difficulty, hard extra, hard special, 5 lives maximum. The game ends after your 5th death no matter how many lives you earn. I have a score on there from way back when of 191K. My 1st attempt today had a score in the 250K range after 5 lives with 2 left. I decided to play on and fell in a crumpled heap at around 270K. Even though I'm guessing the score after 5 lives would've been accepted I didn't submit it and have since recorded over the inp. After over an hour of clown related torture tonight so far my best is a low 160K.

Should've quit while I was ahead this morning. :headbuttwall:

At least the beers are going down well :40s::40s::40s:

Now back to that evil clown I guess :evil:hairpull:

Edit: Got what I wanted although not as good as this morning's game. 213K. Will submit it tomorrow

Edited by RMacauley

I hit my target today!

New PB and 200k+ achieved on Mr. Do's Castle today.

Finished with 208,760.

Many thanks to falcor and especially to dazzer who stayed in my stream and watched me try over and over again and gave some tips on strategy on how to deal with the unicorns better and taught me a new technique to use involving switching the ladders.

Twitch stream below if you want to see some unicorns get smashed.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/394778629##

393653452_ImageUploadedByAussieArcade1552463023.543788.thumb.jpg.0f39e21f1dde5c5a749b1107fcc8ef71.jpg