Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

AMD card for VPX?

I’ve been looking for a 4k playfield monitor and there seem to be a lot with amd freesync and quite a bit cheaper than the gsync equivalents. Sync type aside I’m currently running a GTX580 3 gig which I’m guessing will need upgrading for 4k. Just wondering if anyone has experience with AMD cards for VPX? All the spec discussion is GTX centric. Edited by g5k

AMD card for VPX?

Great I guess I wanted to make sure there wasn’t a reason they didn’t work or work as well first up. I’m thinking trying to run 4k adaptive sync will become important as I’d imagine you’d be on the edge FPS wise. Are you running 1080 or 4k on your playfield?

I’ll do some amd model research. Sounds like you want to be somewhere in the 1060-1080 range gtx wise for 4k.

Edited by g5k

Personally I'd hold off on upgrading your video card just for now.

There aren't that many 4k tables at the moment. Those that do exist can be run at 1920x1080 and they still look awesome.

More importantly, the goal posts for virtual pinball keep moving and it's easy to keep updating to suit every shift in direction as it happens, only to find that if you'd waited there may have been a "better" option.

Be careful when using benchmarks to evaluate the strength of video cards, as performance (in Visual Pinball especially) is very dependent on other components as well.

The Nvidia Vs ATI thing is interesting and I think it goes back a few years to when there were a lot of people plagued with driver related issues that seemed to never end. I know that i stuck with a particular set of Nvidia drivers for a long time as it was widely reported that they appeared to work more reliably that any other version. At one point when doing a new PC I even had to hack the INF file to manually add in a new model video card that the driver didn't officially support!

Fortunately that doesn't seem to happen any more, but as a result everyone seems to favour Nvidia.

If you do decide to upgrade, for some reason manufacturers seem to be swapping over to Display Port so you now only get 1 each of DVI and HDMI and at least one or more DP. I don't know if I've been living under a rock for too long, but last time i checked there aren't a heap of monitors out there that support DP and the cost of DP cables (if you don't get one with the monitor) is ludicrous.

The nvidea amd discussion is about architecture. This impacts on things like resolution and decryption, which is where Amd has a niche. Amd has focused on multi monitor and high resolution setups for at least 5 generations. I have both by the way, depending on purpose.

As my understanding goes, the tvs are the issue with 4k, creating loads of lag due to post processing. Plus imo Hannibals mods have some interesting physics.

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

@OzStick I agree on the 1080. My thinking is a bit around where it’s all heading. In the time I got into this at the beginning of the year to now there’s been some pretty decent steps forward in terms of quality and my understanding is the new release tables are being produced with higher res than 1080. I’m running my testbed setup making use of a couple of old 23” samsung LEDs and at 1080 they look awesome. I’m probably going to stay in a mini setup either 27/28” or 32” play field and planning on using an iMac panel 1920x1200 I have for the backglass which is 16:10 a good ratio for backglass I reckon.

@redferatu I’ve recently switched to a 4k screen for work and that uses display port to get 60hz, only had 30hz on hdmi so I think you are right on that assessment.

I’m thinking I’d initially continue to run 1080 on the 4k monitor but can’t think it is too far away before we will be wanting to run 4k, those that are say it’s a big step up from what I’ve read. When that happens I guess I want to make sure whether I needed to go a g-sync monitor or free sync now to make that work well down the track. I know gsync will work as the majority are using nvidia but there is a pretty big cost overhead going that path over amd/freesync from my looking.

My other line of thinking is to go a 2560x monitor for now which are pretty well priced and I may still get away with my existing card syncing at 50 or 60. It will also maintain similar pixel density at a larger size to my 23s which do look damn nice.

I think the 4k tvs you would need to ensure it is 60hz or higher, a lot of the cheaper ones only run 30hz at 4k, and 60 at 1080. It would be so much easier if you could try first.

If you are staying with a mini setup then IMO 4K is overkill on a smaller monitor (ie less than 40"). It's the sort of thing you'd want to see "live" on someone else's cabinet using the same size monitor before dropping $$ on it yourself, just in case it's not what you expect it to be......

I will try it out to confirm on one of the 4k screens at work if I can. What I do know is when I upgraded to a laptop with retina display there is no going back, the extra detail that resolves is very nice. That is a 15" (2880x1800) display. After using it going back to my old laptop it looks soft and you see all the anti-aliasing.

• 2 months later...

AMD card for VPX?

Just reporting back to the thread, if you’re not going to read anything more upgrade to 4k when you can.

I ended up testing a 32" 4k monitor (an IPS panel) and it was great. I did quite a bit of research on LCD types before pulling the trigger and ended up going for a VA monitor. I decided to go VA over and IPS as from my research it sounds like they are a bit more responsive have nearly as good viewing angles but the clincher was a lot better black levels and contrast. The control panel has a black stabiliser control that you can pull down to get nice inky blacks. The images are amazing, 4k is a big improvement over 1080 for tables that have been made with the extra detail. The downside is the tables that haven't been made with the higher resolution artwork and looked great on 1080 are now showing their flaws at 4k. I'm a quality over quantity anyway so will cull some tables and wait for the steady stream of new tables that have been coming out this year and beyond.

The thing I notice the most on the good tables is it is nearly not looking digital anymore. Because you can't see the pixels the play fields look almost real and the VA panel may be a part of this.

The thread started on question over AMD and freesync. As a part of the hardware shuffles and upgrade, video card wise I managed to swap out the GTX580 for an old AMD R9 290 we had not in use which is a step up in card seems to be roughly the equivalent of a GTX1060 6gb according the benchmark link below. With the monitor I got that uses freesync and this card, 4k is working great. Input lag is non existent and frame rates are great. I can't run with 4xAA at a decent frame rate, but as others have said this isn't a big deal at 4k, you don't need 4xAA at that res. Although it does look a little bit nicer but not something that has me rushing out to get a better card....yet [emoji6]

So in summary my experience; 4k is worth the upgrade IMO and looks amazing on my 32". AMD card working awesome with VPX and Freesync monitor. I love the VA panel, looked better than the IPS panel I tested which was a lot more expensive monitor too (designed for color critical work).

LG 4k Monitor I bought

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32UD59-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

IPS vs VA

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd

GPU benchmark

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-R9-290/3639vs2171

Not sure if a photo of monitors do them justice but the detail is virtually real. Hats off to the developers recreating these tables they have produced some amazing work.

b015959655610c34c5cd9f704338afc1.jpg