Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes it just pays to fix it & enjoy the game. Making a museum piece out of it then makes you too scare to enjoy playing it. IMO

Yeah but playing it with badly cupped inserts would annoy the crap outta me so I have no choice but to fix them. Levelling with super glue did not work so I have to sand them flat instead. First pin I have had to do this to.

I have removed and relevelled inserts on a couple of pins before though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Yeah but playing it with badly cupped inserts would annoy the crap outta me so I have no choice but to fix them. Levelling with super glue did not work so I have to sand them flat instead. First pin I have had to do this to.

I have removed and relevelled inserts on a couple of pins before though.

When I did mine for the Lawman, I just put them in boiling water and pushed them flat with the socket that fit.

They came out nice and flat. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have been plugging away at this resto this week and have finally finished sanding and reinstalling all the PF inserts . :D

Still need to redo the black keylines around them .

Today I have labelled everything on the underside of both playfields and moved all the screws across.

Hopefully tomorrow (time permitting) I will move the harness across (and everything attached to it)

This is my first playfield swap and now I can truly appreciate what a hell of a lot of work it is !

343338985_insertsreinstalled1.thumb.jpg.e2a6b501c0cb6ec6c16d03f457b86378.jpg

2056121990_insertsreinstalled2.thumb.jpg.02d3dc3f59546c7faadadf47495fde80.jpg

812545629_screwstransferred.thumb.jpg.bcdf13b6d3cbe55d8e7ba4542a3b4d22.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update :

After doing a bit here and there I have finally finished the underside of the playfield . :D

I learned a couple of important lessons ...

1) don't do a playfield swap in Summer !!! 2) Try and transfer harness directly from old to new playfield to minimise chances of the loom getting tangled (untangling the loom is a bitch)

I have overhauled both the steppers on the underside (one was almost seized) and installed new coil sleeves and stops and new spring kits

Tested about 15 switches so far and found about 30% not working (either out of adjustment or needing a clean) so will go through them all before installing the playfield back in the cab.

1225203139_stepperbefore.thumb.jpg.b57343a0264a2f03980570d93c026edf.jpg

1024772401_stepperafter.thumb.jpg.913b0e7b211a24feaeeecf96f6c04ede.jpg

1648857081_pfundersidefinished.thumb.jpg.3f2f050317d77063c032f8747abeb5f3.jpg

Try and transfer harness directly from old to new playfield to minimise chances of the loom getting tangled (untangling the loom is a bitch)

Before removing a big wiring harness on anything I mark points on the harness with white isolation tape.

Just a single wrap around of the tape and stick it back on itself so as to form a tag an inch or two long.

Do this at different points of the harness, usually the ends of major branches but a few along the main loom.

Number these tags with permanent marker using different numbers. letters, whatever and mark the same number around where the tags sits using removable stickers or even the same inso tape you previously used but take into consideration that tape will only stick like that for a day or so before it falls off unlike your tags you wrapped around the harness that will stay like that till you pull or cut them off.

Personally I prefer to make up a rough drawing of the thing the harness is on and mark the numbers on it just make sure you mark your "map" correctly and don't loose your map.

Then remove the harness and do as you wish with it, bundle it up in a bag, it doesn't matter because when it comes time to reinstall it, day, weeks, months , years later when you have completely forgotten how you pulled it out, you have the numbers to follow and get it right straight away.

At the time you think I don't need to take the 1/2 hour to mark this all out, I will know how it goes back, well a week or two or a month later and you suddenly wish you took the time to leave a guide for yourself.

Just one of those jobs that adds a little time to save yourself lots of time in the long run.

Before removing a big wiring harness on anything I mark points on the harness with white isolation tape.

Just a single wrap around of the tape and stick it back on itself so as to form a tag an inch or two long.

Do this at different points of the harness, usually the ends of major branches but a few along the main loom.

Number these tags with permanent marker using different numbers. letters, whatever and mark the same number around where the tags sits using removable stickers or even the same inso tape you previously used but take into consideration that tape will only stick like that for a day or so before it falls off unlike your tags you wrapped around the harness that will stay like that till you pull or cut them off.

Personally I prefer to make up a rough drawing of the thing the harness is on and mark the numbers on it just make sure you mark your "map" correctly and don't loose your map.

Then remove the harness and do as you wish with it, bundle it up in a bag, it doesn't matter because when it comes time to reinstall it, day, weeks, months , years later when you have completely forgotten how you pulled it out, you have the numbers to follow and get it right straight away.

At the time you think I don't need to take the 1/2 hour to mark this all out, I will know how it goes back, well a week or two or a month later and you suddenly wish you took the time to leave a guide for yourself.

Just one of those jobs that adds a little time to save yourself lots of time in the long run.

I always make shure i go overboard when labeling and marking things that way there is absolutely no confusion or discrepancys

I always make shure i go overboard when labeling and marking things that way there is absolutely no confusion or discrepancys

Yup. It's like taking photos. Take as many photos as you think you'll need to put it back together right...

Then take that number again from other angles.

I actually learnt that doing car wiring harnesses. Massive bags of wiring and trying to match up plugs really sucked but I do do Gottlieb machines using that process because I don't know them like the others and they like to use the same plugs all over the harness.

I actually learnt that doing car wiring harnesses. Massive bags of wiring and trying to match up plugs really sucked but I do do Gottlieb machines using that process because I don't know them like the others and they like to use the same plugs all over the harness.

I learnt by doing a motorcycle one

Hi all. Appreciate the input.

I did mark on both the harness and the playfield where everything needed to go .. the problem I had was I moved the harness to a piece of timber before moving it again to the destination playfield and somehow managed to get the harness tangled up.

Anyway lesson learned for next time

Hi all. Appreciate the input.

I did mark on both the harness and the playfield where everything needed to go .. the problem I had was I moved the harness to a piece of timber before moving it again to the destination playfield and somehow managed to get the harness tangled up.

Anyway lesson learned for next time

Bugger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have finished overhauling Player 1 score reels .. swapping coil stops from Player 2 reels to Player 1 reels as I go.

First EM I have owned that has every label still intact .

Amazing to think this is probably the first service this machine has had in 43 years !

Sadly nothing is made as robust as an EM any more and hasn't been for a long time .

373536744_Backboxbefore.thumb.jpg.b4159773babae3c1322a1a64f6503573.jpg

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update .

I finally finished overhauling the back box last week after struggling with both time and motivation to get it done.

I then repainted the black keylines around the inserts freehand after debating for a while on how to do it .. never had to worry about this much in the past. I then used my Stanley knife to tidy them up a bit by simply scraping away any excess.:)

Today I reassembled about 90% of the top of the play field so won't be too long now till I can fire this game up and start playing it :cool:

Still need to instal the spinner, the Pop bumper globes , the ball eject coil, the new chime unit , flippers and new flipper kit (I forgot to buy new cabinet switches .. DOH!!!!)

Also will need to have a crack at restoring the backglass and at some stage will probably repaint the cab

1967654082_Playfieldreassembly.thumb.jpg.dfcc61f0c0c6499b26ccdd005dbb42a0.jpg

Hurry up and finish would you

Mate .. I hear ya but now project is stalled because stuffed if I know where I put the flipper rebuild kit I found in my spares when I bought this game 9 months ago !

That is the missing piece to finish it :)

For those still following this thread .. I still can't find my flipper rebuild kit so have reused the old plunger and links and put in new coil sleeves and stops.. .

Have wired up new chime unit so maybe an hour's work left and hopefully I fire this game up for the first time on Wednesday this week

Must have been popular back in the day when it was new because the original OP left a tag on one of the flipper EOS saying full new flipper kit fitted in June '77