Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Question regarding Arkanoid spinner settings in MAME

I didn't get much response to this question when I posted it a while back on the MAME Action Replay Page, so I thought I'd see what kind of responses I can get here.

Nothing is like original controllers. With that said, being that I don't own or have access to a dedicated Arkanoid machine, all I can do is play it in MAME. The problem is, I've tried to tweak the settings in MAME on and off for years now and cannot seem to find that "sweet spot" where the paddle movement would mimic that of the arcade spinner as best as possible when using a mouse. I do have a trackball mouse too, with the ball diameter being a little smaller than that of a golf ball. At one point, I was trying to figure out in the settings menu, how to reset all settings (only for that game and not global) so that I can start from scratch again and then go from there, but couldn't figure it out. Right now, my settings are all over the place.

There are players out there who have completed the game and can score in excess of 1M points. I have the #2 record on the arcade version with 1,466,460 points since 1999. I have yet to break 150k on MAME. Now can feel my frustration. Perhaps others who are reading this can chime in and share what settings they play their game on and what controller their using as well. Perhaps I may be able to mimic the same settings and controller of another player and it just may work for me.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It's too bad an arcade spinner to use with MAME (their out there and I've seen them) wasn't so damn expensive. it's between $150 and $200 (US funds) which is out of my price range right now. Hell, for another $150 ~ $200 I could get a dedicated machine!

I think the problem using a PC trackball mouse it that it does not have weight behind it like a spinner. I don't think you will ever tweak to get it to feel like the arcades. I have an old Taito spinner on my Mame cab and it is night and day compared to a mouse. Might have to just try and snag an old spinner second hand or an Spintrak? (haven't used one though)

http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.htm

I think the problem using a PC trackball mouse it that it does not have weight behind it like a spinner. I don't think you will ever tweak to get it to feel like the arcades. I have an old Taito spinner on my Mame cab and it is night and day compared to a mouse. Might have to just try and snag an old spinner second hand or an Spintrak? (haven't used one though)

http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.htm

I put one of the commercial arcade spinners on my cab mainly to play Arkanoid and a few others. I can't remember which one it is I will have a look at home if I remember. I also bought a small steering wheel that you can attach. Even though the spinner is good quality and has weight it is still difficult to get set up and isn't as good to play with as the original Arkanoid. I hardly ever use it, one day I will try tweaking the set up and have another game. But my scores were poor compared to BITD in the arcade so I was disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• Administrators
Found it this is the one I bought a couple of years ago http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268

Thats the same one I have and its awesome.

I bought the extra weight (they call it an "energy storage" cylinder and technically true as it's kinetic energy :rolleyes) and put a proper dial on top of it (Blue Inset)

The spinner games just play awesome with it. Tempest, Arkanoid, Tron etc

Brad

Thats the same one I have and its awesome.

I bought the extra weight (they call it an "energy storage" cylinder and technically true as it's kinetic energy :rolleyes) and put a proper dial on top of it (Blue Inset)

The spinner games just play awesome with it. Tempest, Arkanoid, Tron etc

Brad

Have you tried the steering wheel attachment? Be interested to know how that went for some of the driving games

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

• Administrators
Have you tried the steering wheel attachment? Be interested to know how that went for some of the driving games

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Yes I have and it works fine. But since I have a sit down driver already I don't use it much at all.

Brad

Sounds like I should put some more time into tweaking mine and getting used to it.

I also bought the weight and wheel.

I have not used the wheel much as I put the spinner on my vertical cab which only has three buttons per player so I run out of buttons for gears and brake and accelerate. I might have to try pl1 &2 start for gears.

Does anybody recommend a good tutorial for setting up the spinner in mame?

• Administrators
Sounds like I should put some more time into tweaking mine and getting used to it.

I also bought the weight and wheel.

I have not used the wheel much as I put the spinner on my vertical cab which only has three buttons per player so I run out of buttons for gears and brake and accelerate. I might have to try pl1 &2 start for gears.

Does anybody recommend a good tutorial for setting up the spinner in mame?

Just remember that its really only good for 360 degree drivers. You can use it for 270 but it'll never feel "right"

But for spinner games its a winner.

Brad