Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Protecting yourself and your pins

Koops

Typically, thieves go for the low-hanging fruit. Laptops, mobile phones, jewellery, any cash lying around, power tools, etc. What thief is stupid enough to steal a pinball machine, other than a pinhead thief?

Michi.

@Michi I live in constant fear that some low life pinny thief will try and get my Centaur !! Luckily I have 3 highly trained attack dogs protecting it. The problem is, is that I cant insure Centaur, because its "priceless" :D Post Note: The dogs are hopeless because they bloody sleep all day and night.....

I take your word for it, but I'm genuinely surprised!

Sure, a pinball machine is worth, say, $2,000 to $10,000. Divide by 2 when fencing stolen goods. A lot of money regardless, but it is not what I'd expect a thief to go for. The dang things are big and heavy, you can't easily carry them, and you need a truck or some such to take them away. And getting rid of the "merchandise" is likely to draw attention. (I wouldn't try and sell a pinball machine to the nearest Cash Converters, for example.)

Typically, thieves go for the low-hanging fruit. Laptops, mobile phones, jewellery, any cash lying around, power tools, etc. What thief is stupid enough to steal a pinball machine, other than a pinhead thief?

Michi.

Yes completely agree. I am very surprised a pinball machine would be stolen in a residential burglary. Like @Mishi states, they are big and heavy that requires substantial transport. Cash and jewellery are the common items of choice, followed by small electrical devices (iPads, laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras, etc). Basically the smallest items of the highest value to be carried in a back pack, small bag or pillow case for that matter. I do however know of a very high end collectible game stolen from a pinball company that was specifically targeted by very organised individuals, but this is quite rare compared to the everyday general household burglaries.

Either way, alarm, CCTV and good neighbours are all good detergents. And sleeping dogs :):)

I agree, there are definitely determined thieves out there but most of these links refer and relate to commercial property burglaries where pinball machines have been stolen or pinball machines recovered. I was stating and referring to typical residential burglaries and the likelihood of a pinball machine being stolen from same. In other words, the majority of AA members who have pins at home. I am sure a pin has been stolen from a house before but it would be very rare.

Thieves who are organised and committed (not your typical druggie house burglar) will most likely target commercial properties to get pinball machine/s.

Very interesting indeed and thanks for posting the links.

Great thread @Koops !

This is now going to prompt me to write down all the serial numbers on my machines as well, not something I would have really thought to do to be honest but I guess if they are ever stolen it is a way to identify they are mine.

Stern LE machines make that a bit easier I guess, although I have a LE here and could not tell you what number it is. Never really cared for that stuff, serial number probably better at the end of the day.

I do have my machines on my home insurance, and I remember putting their value as what I thought it would honestly cost me to replace them at the time. That was roughly 2 to 3 years ago now, scary to think what I really need to change their values to now...

It's easier to to take a few photos of machines and in their location premises and photos of the serial numbers. Store the file away safely and it's then easier to ID if the need arises and the photos are much better proof especially if the board sets don't have matching numbers and tell tale signs of wear or playfieldd oddities. Makes it easier to prove it's yours . This is good practice for all your contents so much easier to take a photo of a room and list contents and file.

It's easier to to take a few photos of machines and in their location premises and photos of the serial numbers. Store the file away safely and it's then easier to ID if the need arises and the photos are much better proof especially if the board sets don't have matching numbers and tell tale signs of wear or playfieldd oddities. Makes it easier to prove it's yours . This is good practice for all your contents so much easier to take a photo of a room and list contents and file.

Yes spot on @hotty. I walked around my house 2-3 years ago (after moving into new place) and just took about 6-8 overall photos of each room showing what contents I had. Also took photos of Mrs jewellery, valuables, computer, etc, in the case the house burns down or we get many items stolen. At least I have proof of what contents I owned and it only took me 10 mins to do. As I have not got a receipt for every item to prove ownership. The photos are on a disc in my locker at work. Peace of mind.

"They would have needed a team of people and either had a really large truck or would have had to do a few trips if they used a trailer."

Wow. Thanks for the links! Not that I enjoyed reading it all :(

So, I stand corrected. There are people who will steal pinball machines, and will even steal six or more of them at a time. Unbelievable :(

Michi.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes spot on @hotty. I walked around my house 2-3 years ago (after moving into new place) and just took about 6-8 overall photos of each room showing what contents I had.

Very sensible thing to do. We do this too, and repeat every three years or so. That's also the time where we review the insurance policy to make sure that the insured value is still appropriate and that any separately listed items are complete and valued correctly.

I seriously hope to never have to lodge a claim. But, if have to, I'd prefer not to have to argue with the insurance company on top of the trauma of having been burgled or worse…

Michi.