Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

8ohm speaker help

steptoe

Question

3 answers to this question

Guys

I have an ohm speaker i want to throw in a cab, will 8ohm work off a jamma harness, do i put negative one side and positive other.

Cheers

Yes it will work it will just be quieter than a 4 ohm speaker

A lot of arcade machines do run 8ohm speakers.

Even if your machine game board did run a 4ohm speaker originally, it will work with an 8ohm but as @Boots says, will be quieter. That is because it will draw twice the power.

Sometimes you can get away with this, sometimes no as it "can" overheat the amp driving the speaker because of the twice the power required to drive it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the power the same for both 4 and 8 ohm speakers. The power is delivered by the amplifier, not by the speaker. The only thing changing is the current. This is lower for a 8 ohm speaker than a 4 ohm one. As power is P=R x I^2. So it's safer to use 8 ohm. The difference in (maximum) volume is because the amp cant generate the voltage to drive the the 8 ohm speakers at full current so it generates even less current so less power. This way a 8 ohm speakers is safer to use.