Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Warning to newbies about buying site unseen.

Arcade King

• Administrators

I've resurrected much much worse than this but I prefer doing it from machines we own rather than taking on somebody else's. My estimate was based on similar machines I've worked on in this condition.

I'm only going to do enough to this machine to get it working reliably and playing. Most would be very reluctant to take on a job like this (including myself) because even if you do everything you can to make it reliable, due to the age and neglect there's no guarantee it wont fail in a week or month.

We need to get the word out to new comers that what you think is a bargain could end up costing you a lot more then it would buying a working machine from a fellow hobbyist or dealer, in this case a $2100 + freight machine is going to cost this fellow closer to 3k+

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to get the word out to new comers that what you think is a bargain could end up costing you a lot more then it would buying a working machine from a fellow hobbyist or dealer, in this case a $2100 + freight machine is going to cost this fellow closer to 3k+

Most don't comprehend the parts and labour cost that can go into these machines.

Add to that the long list of unobtainium parts and things get even more complicated.

Too many treat it like buying any other electrical appliance and shop around for price not condition.

These people should be named on this site to help those unaware from making similar mistakes.

Scoundrels

Seller is a operator selling under different user account than his main one.

Sadly been bit shonky long as i been collecting and been stung my self with a "just needs a power supply" old line when was bit green

Shame when people get stung big as kills off the hobby for newcommers

To be honest I think it could end up being a great looking machine would have been better at say $1000 purchase price and put about 2K into it redo the cab new 3 in 1 board and heaps of work and time, but definitely not a newbies first machine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've resurrected much much worse than this but I prefer doing it from machines we own rather than taking on somebody else's. My estimate was based on similar machines I've worked on in this condition.

I'm only going to do enough to this machine to get it working reliably and playing. Most would be very reluctant to take on a job like this (including myself) because even if you do everything you can to make it reliable, due to the age and neglect there's no guarantee it wont fail in a week or month.

But Trav all it needs is "Needs service rubbers and globes"

Totally agree Trav about the advice for newcomers which is why ol'mates daughter has given my phone number to some noobies and I in turn will encourage them NOT to buy off Ebay etc.

I'm a big fan of keeping games in the AA family to help each other out AND encourage noobies that if they buy a game from a fellow hobbyist they'll get a truer blurb on the said game.

Read the whole thread and learnt nothing new from buying and selling in this game.

Like anything, not doing enough preparation and you're at the peril of your choices.

Seller has exhibited some nice selling techniques though. A few examples include, using proper key terms to help keep the listing at the top of 'most relevant' default lists in eBay.

Soft lighting - showing the pin amongst other pins (shows others you know what you're doing) - showed the BG lit up - kept glass on. Description adequate without revealing too much. Enough for a clue to what's going on. Next step it to either ask for more pics if interstate or ask to see in person.

Regardless of the possible shill bidding, I thought the listing wasn't deceptive.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

after about 16 hours work it lives.

IMAG0024.thumb.jpg.b9dc4189220b2af76a9fcdb969c110f7.jpg

Still needs to be shopped however its 100% playable now :D

CPU needed repairing

Driver, several bad transistors and one major burnout which actually warped the board. I had to heat the board up and put it in a vice to straighten it.

PSU

Battery pack

Needed a new cap for the main logic supply.

New bridge for the solenoids.

Line filter blew up so had to replace.

All fuses replaced to correct values. All fuses were 20 amp :rolleyes

4 Coils were completely wrong for the outhole (which was burnt out) and the 3 kick out holes. 1 and 2 are connected 2 is separate but all 3 are suppose to have interdependent switches except 1 was jumped to 3.

Coiled used were A-1496 which are far to strong at 2.95 ohms, the correct coils are A-16570 which are 15.5 ohms. With kickout hole 1 and 3 tied together this half's the ohm reading to 1.47! no wonder the driver board was warped.

Anyway correct coils installed.

Burnt coil for knocker replaced.

Replaced all non working bulbs found 1 bad socket.

Rewired the 1 kick out hole so switch works correctly.

3 Displays replaced.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks to @wiredoug for the manual.

• 11 months later...
Here is My Experience from someone i THOUGHT i trusted ,so the moral of the story is to look or get someone with experience to look at the machine for you[ATTACH=CONFIG]137395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137398[/ATTACH]

Let me guess a Melbourne seller ?

Here is My Experience from someone i THOUGHT i trusted ,so the moral of the story is to look or get someone with experience to look at the machine for you[ATTACH=CONFIG]137395[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137396[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137397[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]137398[/ATTACH]

Jesus, those fuses. If those boards are in good condition, what's bad?

Jesus, those fuses. If those boards are in good condition, what's bad?

They are very popular in Europe the NO-blow fuses:lol

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess a Melbourne seller ?

All the Melbourne sellers are dodgy:lol

Wow, like....... wow.