Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Tips for Tasmania transport / Freight

Hmmmm, not sure. Nielsen & Johnston are superb for getting stuff across Bass Straight, but you'd have to get the pin to them in Melb. @prowler could do that, mb? EDIT: ninja'd by doug! +1 N&J, though.

Bell's Removals are also good, the TSO use them to move concert Steinways and stuff. You'd be paying about $800 minimum charge for this though, most moving companies are around that, and they might have to backload it for when-in-area delivery.

Recently it was the sellers choice who he sent with Northline from Brisbane to Launceston, he got them to pick up from him and I picked up from depot my end. It cost a bit over $600 which I said was too much but the seller (sponsor here) uses them because he trusts them and their insurance, so I agreed. He packed it flat on it's base which would have also added to the cost, it was a Centaur2 though which is trickier because of the backbox.

I have used e-go transport a few times before and not had much trouble with them, they are the cheapest I have found, you can't ring them which is a pain but they answer emails quickly. You should be able to get a pin strapped to a cut down pattle sitting up on it's back from depot to depot Vic to Tas for about $300. I would wrap it REALLY well and make sure it's as protected as possible, I go three layers, cardboard then bubble wrap then cling wrap and strap securely. I would not trust that e-go would pay out on their insurance there were so many loop holes but I paid it anyway as it was only about $30 more. Make sure your pallet is not bigger than it needs to be as you will pay a cubed rate on the whole size including the pallet.

Good luck, the more pins in Tas the better :)

I just recently sent a mountain bike in a large carton from NSW TO TAS . It was depot to depot with E-GO , they charged me $145 . This did not included insurance .There insurance cover is only up to $1000 so it was purchased elsewhere as it was a $8000 bike.

I just recently sent a mountain bike in a large carton from NSW TO TAS . It was depot to depot with E-GO , they charged me $145 . This did not included insurance .There insurance cover is only up to $1000 so it was purchased elsewhere as it was a $8000 bike.

That's interesting as we ride MTB's and have taken them to the mainland and NZ a few times and might in future send our bikes home without us while we continue our holidays elsewhere. Where did you end up getting insurance and how much was it?

@Rat . I used transit cover insurance with http://www.removalsinsurance.com.au . It was a pain finding someone to provide cover and at a reasonable price . I think they charged $245 for $8000 insured and 3 weeks of cover . It arrived in 6 working days .

The bike box , cardboard , arrived in great condition unlike my sons box in going to Montreal for a World Cup it had a hole in the box with someone's boot print all over the box . No damage luckly but a great way to treat a 12k+ bike and its not like the airport doesn't charge for the privilege of sending it.

Thanks for that kkb, that's dearer insurance than I expected, would end up costing us $400 per bike x2 so $800 to get the bikes back without us, at that cost we would work our holidays out so we didn't need to do that. I'm sure my local bike shops don't pay anywhere near that, I will chat to them and see if there is a way to sneak our bikes into one of their shipments from a mainland distributor.

Sorry for the diversion, back to pinball and arcade now :)