Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Greetings from Brisbane

Been hanging out in the depths of Netherworld and partaking in some of the Brisbane Pinball Club's competitions while there. Several of the people I have met have mentioned this forum so I thought it is a good time to drop in and say hi.

Been contemplating to DIY build my own arcade cabinet, so looking for some inspiration and tips.

Cheers,

S

Hi Kaizen.

I am going to go with a vertical screen setup as the bulk of the games I enjoy are in that configuration. (may have to make a horizontal cabinet in the future if the first one goes well) All I know is that I want to get motivated and give something like this go. There is a huge amount of info here so I guess i will find out about the best configuration, but if you have any recommendations I am listening.

I had actually thought a virtual pinball might be what I wanted to attempt, but after reading through your entire Defender build I feel that making a stand up arcade cabinet might be the best starting point to get my head around the project, terminology etc. That thread is actually really great and has been bookmarked for future reference.

I have no problems with the building of the cabinets etc, it is the electronics and programming etc I have nil experience in, so thinking keeping it simple is a great starting point.

Thanks for the welcome,

S

Edited by simonsrat

If you're going with a scratch built cabinet with a vertical screen and want to keep the electrical side of things simple then a 60in1 with an LCD and Jamma harness would be one of the easiest options.

When designing your cab you could give yourself the option to make it wide enough to fit the LCD horizontally so if you want to rotate it in the future you know it will fit.

Hi Kaizen, I took the plunge and ordered a 60 in 1 Jamma vertical board etc. Good idea about the cabinet being setup for a possible horizontal orientation, I will keep that in mind. After reading a heap of the builds on here I am really looking forward to getting stuck into it. Was thinking of making a box so I can set up joystick etc and having a bit of a dry run with the layout before i get into the cabinet.

Thanks again for your input,

S

Hi Kaizen, I took the plunge and ordered a 60 in 1 Jamma vertical board etc. Good idea about the cabinet being setup for a possible horizontal orientation, I will keep that in mind. After reading a heap of the builds on here I am really looking forward to getting stuck into it. Was thinking of making a box so I can set up joystick etc and having a bit of a dry run with the layout before i get into the cabinet.

Thanks again for your input,

S

That's a good way to get started, you'll learn a fair bit by just doing that.

A box of stuff turned up today. Got a 60 in 1 jamma kit, looking forward to the build and learning some new skills.

Feeling a bit daunted, but I guess it can not be that hard, can it?

cheers,

S