Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Universal Cosmic Guerilla upright

A while back I picked up a not working Cosmic Guerilla with a lot of incorrect parts but great condition side art. The control panel is from Cosmic Alien and has extra button holes and an MCA joystick modded onto it as well as missing instructions, the monitor bezel art is also from Cosmic Alien. The marquee and other backlit section were low quality repro's of the Electrocoin version of Cosmic Guerilla, correct game but wrong version of the artwork (and painfully low print res too). The cab came without any game board inside and was rewired to JAMMA standard, not expecting to find a Cosmic Guerilla board anytime soon I will be keeping it JAMMA - at least for now.

ucg_before.thumb.JPG.9b107b080bebe8dc12c99d1b0fdf4f0b.JPG

Today I replaced the low quality repro Electrocoin bits with freshly printed repros on translight. I found a scan of the correct marquee online and just cleaned up the colours a bit, it looked like the scan was done without cleaning the marquee first but was great otherwise. I couldn't find anything online for the lower backlit panel so I did what I could to reproduce it from a scan of the original release flyer. Working from the flyer I got the characters and space background but couldn't make a decent version of the swirly colourful bits at the top and bottom. Not finding anything I could work from to remake the coloured bit from scratch I settled on just the blue space background for now. The makeshift piece in the lower backlit area turned out to be a sticker on top of cardboard (which looked to be a space backdrop, possibly from some other game, it was damaged removing the sticker so I'm not sure) that had been doublesided taped & nailed (!) & screwed (!!!!) into place. Behind that mess the beam for mounting the backlight had also been removed leaving only some nails or staples behind. The backlight for the marquee was also completely gone, not even any wiring left in place. I scored and snapped a piece of perspex to nearly the right size to replace the cardboard/sticker hackjob but it's about 6mm too tall so will need to be trimmed a bit sometime. Here's how it looks now:

ucg_after.thumb.JPG.8d374bd50a35bc1286eae409511ba057.JPG

Looks a bit better with the new art, still needs lots of other things done as I find the time. The back panel looks better than before but I would still like to improve the image if I can find good scans or photos or even an original part. Not sure if I will replace the Cosmic Alien bits at the moment, the monitor surround actually sort of matches the back panel without the extra colours in it. I could also change all the art to Cosmic Alien as that is easier to find nice copies of and some of it is there already but the cab is Cosmic Guerilla (but Cosmic Alien is ok in MAME and Cosmic Guerilla is a buggy mess...) so I'm not yet sold on that idea.

Other things to come is a monitor fix or replace (leaning toward replace with newer CRT), some sort of backlighting for the marquee, new T-moulding, tiny bit of filler work on the edge of one side and the front, repaint the metal bits... I'm sure I'll find more along the way. For now it will sit as is until I find a few more hours to put into it.

If anyone happens to have some Cosmic Guerilla parts they'd like to part with please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice cab, do you have any pictures of the side art on your cab?

I just played Cosmic Guerrilla in MAME and it seem to play fine for me. As Cosmic Guerrilla originally used a B/W monitor with an overlay, maybe a MAME set up on a newer CRT (as you mentioned) would be the way to go.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

I've had a lot of trouble with the game sticking in MAME, everything except the UFO locks up seemingly randomly and once I could still shoot but not move and could shoot the UFO when it appeared but otherwise the game was locked up. It's been a version or so since I've tried it so I'll have to try it again in whatever the current version of MAME is. Do you know which version of MAME you ran it in?

I don't have a good pic of the sides as my cabs are quite close together at the moment, I snapped one with my phone before bringing the cab home but it's a bit blurry:

2121387147_blurryside.thumb.jpg.38bafa182fdb43d671a05832a2b45c57.jpg

Due to the photo quality you can't quite make out the "SUPER VIOLENCE" at the bottom. The other side isn't quite as good but close enough, the area needing filler doesn't reach the artwork so if I can match the vintage creamy white-ish colour of the side it should cover up reasonably.

I don't have a copy of 137, I'll have to look for one. Tried 139 but still had the same issues, plus would reset if you hit b2, plus had no sound too (later MAME versions are using samples for sound on this game).

Maybe it's a Linux issue as the game seems to work fine for other people. I've tried both desktop and Pi and quite a few MAME versions with the same issues but only on Linux...

Interestingly, if it freezes on the attract mode inserting a coin will unfreeze the machine and let you start a game but the same will not work if it freezes during gameplay.

EDIT:

seems to work fine in MAME106, I think when I previously tried it I didn't have the samples and thought the sound didn't work. I found a thread on a different site where others had the same issue on Windows so it may be an issue in only later versions of MAME?.. No matter, I'm very happy I've got a working version now. Thanks @Johns-Arcade and @Woody for testing Cosmic Guerilla, I thought it was just broken in MAME.

Edited by dee2eR