Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Dragon's Lair Restore

Time to get this Dragon’s Lair up and going. This was another container game that arrived in reasonable condition. Originally it had a Pioneer 7820 laserdisc player fitted and from memory I offered this piece of crap laser disc player for free on the site, but no one was silly enough to take it, so off to the tip it went ;)

Dragon’s Lair was one game I spent a lot of money playing back in the early/mid 80’s. The animation was just magical to me, and I was in awe when I first saw this game in the Arcades. Even though the game play was a rat in a maze type game, it really is an iconic game of the golden age of Video Games.

IMG_1343.thumb.jpg.c108f2ec472fa4bde8551b366d7cbafb.jpg

This particular Dragon’s Lair will have a fair amount of work done to it. First off will be a more modern laser player, and I picked up a number of Pioneer CLD-V2400 commercial players in a bulk buy when I imported my container. To get this to run with Dragon’s Lair I’ll need to match this with a LaserAce converter, as originally Dragon’s Lair either used a Pioneer 7820 or LVD-1000/1

The cab is quite nice, but needs a little work. It has the usual bumps and scratches, but over all nothing major to worry about. At some stage the fan in the base of the cab was moved up to the top, most likely in an attempt to make the game more reliable, but I’ll move it back to its original position. I'll likely replace the hacked panel at the top of the game, but will save the serial number sticker first.

IMG_1356.thumb.jpg.84a5f5a699ae186e038048b6923637ed.jpg

The monitor is a standard G07 which were typically fitted, so this will be rebuilt. Here's the monitor before and after a nice shower to remove the years of dirt that is typical of any game this old.

IMG_1344.thumb.jpg.9f551da3e98a5c3ab8f3687fffe99ca4.jpg

IMG_1345.thumb.jpg.dd5f329b1a243c7b0a9b38c59c5346ec.jpg

IMG_1346.thumb.jpg.3af99cc22157eca5650eb8aaf06cd606.jpg

IMG_1350.thumb.jpg.72ebba20046488fcfaaf9ca41f543ac6.jpg

The control panel will be replaced with a new Stainless Steel one I had made years ago, complete with a new CPO, buttons and a rebuild joystick.

All external metal will receive a fresh coat of paint and new T-moulding and side art will be fitted. The side art always seemed too low to me, so the new owner will have the option to move it to where he thinks it looks best.

I've already configured the new laser player and had a few test games before the cab was stripped down again (sorry, forgot to take pictures). The original power supply will stay.

A few internal pictures before I gave the inside a going over with the vacuum cleaner.

IMG_1348.thumb.jpg.95de8d6a4580543c1c9aec79541b4b26.jpg

IMG_1347.thumb.jpg.db7141ceafe200a83c9aa362f579292d.jpg

IMG_1355.thumb.jpg.933a898b545dc5aea2d28db213d56fa2.jpg

IMG_1357.thumb.jpg.0597c4802e7e9426c20f1a83f4ef87e3.jpg

The game in its current state. The marquee is a reproduction from Quarter Arcade, and looks very nice!

More to follow :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Being a 90s teenager, I remember when this was released on every console in existence. I played it at my mate's place who was one of the approximately 4 people in the country who owned a MegaCD :) It had one of the best versions alongside the Panasonic 3DO.

I remember dying on the first button prompt and throwing up my hands and asking why this was even a game. I imagine seeing it in arcades in the 80s would have been jaw dropping, but to hell with the gameplay on this one. It's like an entire game made up of modern day quick time events. So frustrating.

Will still be watching this restore thread though :) Love seeing these old cabs brought back to their original glory.

Being a 90s teenager, I remember when this was released on every console in existence. I played it at my mate's place who was one of the approximately 4 people in the country who owned a MegaCD :) It had one of the best versions alongside the Panasonic 3DO.

I remember dying on the first button prompt and throwing up my hands and asking why this was even a game. I imagine seeing it in arcades in the 80s would have been jaw dropping, but to hell with the gameplay on this one. It's like an entire game made up of modern day quick time events. So frustrating.

Will still be watching this restore thread though :) Love seeing these old cabs brought back to their original glory.

Thanks Pat :)

This is actually Dragon's Lair number 3.

I got my original Dragon's Lairs up and running a few months back, and my second just recently. Again, both were not working after coming out of storage :092:

It's really amazing what a few years in a hot, cold, damp 20ft container can do to a game, but at least I can repair the damage.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Wow can't wait to see this done when it's finished, I remember when these came out most expensive game to play @$1 with a line behind you waiting to play, honestly, walking up to these games back in the day were very intimidating you knew you weren't gunna last long, Op's would have made plenty on these,

Would luv to own this & SA [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow can't wait to see this done when it's finished, I remember when these came out most expensive game to play @$1 with a line behind you waiting to play, honestly, walking up to these games back in the day were very intimidating you knew you weren't gunna last long, Op's would have made plenty on these,

Would luv to own this & SA [emoji120]

I played the one that was at Hoyt's Cinema in Sydney in the 80's.

There was a line up but usually you didn't have to wait long for your go.

I also didn't last long back then and it's been one of my grail cabs ever since.

I've played it on Daphne but it's not the same as owning an original piece of arcade history.

Also looking forward to seeing this completed...

John's resto's are quite thorough.

My Crazy Climber he did hasn't faulted since I picked it up and it's spotless throughout.

I played the one that was at Hoyt's Cinema in Sydney in the 80's.

There was a line up but usually you didn't have to wait long for your go.

I also didn't last long back then and it's been one of my grail cabs ever since.

I've played it on Daphne but it's not the same as owning an original piece of arcade history.

Also looking forward to seeing this completed...

John's resto's are quite thorough.

My Crazy Climber he did hasn't faulted since I picked it up and it's spotless throughout.

Thanks Adam :)

I'm glad the Crazy Climber hasn't given you any issues. Having a game look nice is only part of the battle, it must be as reliable as possible too.

Dragon's Lair was a very unreliable game, and the one we had at the Big Top George st Sydney was always broken down. The original Laser Players were a new technology and not designed to run 12 - 18hrs, 7 days a week.

Thankfully better players are available making the game far more reliable, and fun!

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Another weekend, so time to do some more work on Dragon's lair.

All cab work has now been completed. This included repairing some small damaged areas to the base, plus a bodge repair inside the screen area. The cab was then painted with black vinyl paint and new T-moulding fitted.

The upper rear panel that had been hacked due to the fan being moved up was removed and replaced. The fan was moved back to it's original position.

A new control panel (the last of my Stainless steel reproductions) has been fitted along with new buttons.

The joystick was very sloppy as the the internal grommet had well and truly perished with age, so it was disassembled and rebuilt and given a good clean.

The old side art was removed and the glue residue removed with orange power. The cab was then given a very good clean with soap and water and a Non-Scratch Scourer. It was quite amazing the amount of in-built dirt that came off the front and sides of the cab.

IMG_1365.thumb.jpg.63a1e18e40c7141493608531ad144a5c.jpg

IMG_1366.thumb.jpg.71aae7d77af946d910a346640e8c224e.jpg

IMG_1367.thumb.jpg.df779c39c425728bbd3ca1e81bc833d4.jpg

Prepping for some cab repair work. I've used different builders bog over the years, but now only use Selleys Plsti-Bond. It's the only bog I've never had issues with.

IMG_1369.thumb.jpg.7a3e9471b1fd6d7364896a0d1eb707d8.jpg

IMG_1370.thumb.jpg.bf2a08d4728a6b06340dc0a49f41136b.jpg

The modified top rear panel. Removed, and replaced. I still need to reaffix the original serial number.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]110409[/ATTACH]

IMG_1368.thumb.jpg.03b77ab9862090955c5f7dd344b53a37.jpg

IMG_1373.thumb.jpg.5876ca1af2622138972d813e2fdf839a.jpg

The original Joysticks grommet was a mess. Thankfully, new replacements are available for these Wico sticks. The new grommet has the old stick playing like new!

IMG_1375.thumb.jpg.f6c106a1b810c7be634007fbdd914f0f.jpg

IMG_1376.thumb.jpg.6332f39b7919b2135493aa2b1eaaf281.jpg

The brand new control panel complete with a new overlay, buttons, and the re-built joystick.

IMG_1378.thumb.jpg.66781a3e83d3863db4e74dbbbf83bf91.jpg

The internals being refitted. The monitor will be fitted once the new side art in in place, as the monitor mounting bolts go through the side art.

IMG_1379.thumb.jpg.7e993bfe70ee945c5f84e16a5dbc4342.jpg

The game in it's current state. Not much more to do other than fit the monitor and side art. I will also replace the monitor plexi once I find the reproductions I had made. After which I'll give it a good soak test and it will be ready to go :)

IMG_1377.thumb.jpg.f9a564d6063e1857d0e40b869a5ef26e.jpg

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

IMG_1356.thumb.jpg.32820ef4f051f01d0451b5ab9ef6015e.jpg

bloody awesome progress of late mate, well done :)

I agree about the plasti-bond. It's the king of bogs in my opinion.

Thanks mate!

I seem to have a bit of a spark for getting these up and going at the moment, but it is taking its toll. I got a bit sloppy when doing up that Asteroids (in another thread) the other night. It was very late and I'd been at work all day. I'd just re-built the High Voltage board and was setting the 12KV on the anode. While removing my HV probe the Anode lead came off. In a rush to refit it, I decided to find the hole with my finger. Lets just say I woke up real quick! :lol

Dragon's Lair Restore

Hi John, love your work on the restoration :) out of interest is there any reason you're continuing to use the LD players rather than opting for one of the solid state replacements?

I understand the argument of originality but in the case of those players is it worth the effort of having to have multiple spare players lying around for when (rather than if) they fail?

I guess the same could be said for CRTs (where the answer is yes because no better solution exists) but the laserdisc drive replacements available on KLOV (or just a laser replacement if you prefer to keep the drive installed for the look) seems like a good option

Hi John, love your work on the restoration :) out of interest is there any reason you're continuing to use the LD players rather than opting for one of the solid state replacements?

I understand the argument of originality but in the case of those players is it worth the effort of having to have multiple spare players lying around for when (rather than if) they fail?

I guess the same could be said for CRTs (where the answer is yes because no better solution exists) but the laserdisc drive replacements available on KLOV (or just a laser replacement if you prefer to keep the drive installed for the look) seems like a good option

That's a very good question, thanks for asking! :)

The main reason I'm sticking with a Laser Player for this game is two fold.

Firstly, I picked up 4 Pioneer CLD-V2400 when I brought my container over, so it made sense to utilise these Laser Players in this game, which was always my intention. This was before the option of a Dexter (laser Player replacement) and I also happen to have a LaserAce available. The original 7820 fitted to this game didn't work, and I really didn't want the new owner of this game to have to put up with an unreliable Laser Player.

The Pioneer CLD-V2400 is an industrial player, and the new owner will also get a spare with this game. I'm hoping the player will be trouble free, especially in a home environment, but the extra player adds some redundancy in the event of a failure.

Secondly, I wanted to try and keep this game as original as possible, but reliability is also a major factor in any game I restore and sell, or keep. Some people like the sound of a laser Player spinning up, so this was a good compromise. This isn't a cheap game, so I also feel I owe the new owner a certain level of expectation on said purchase. I could have found an original LVD-1000/1 or looked at repairing the original 7820, but a games not much fun when it's not working.

I try and keep a game as original as I can, but it must work first and foremost. Some things I won't compromise on (LCD for instance ;)) or a 60 in 1 (or any other multi) as a replacement for an original PCB. The one exception would be an SD card or Jrok, etc, but only if I couldn't find an original PCB.

Mind you, I did in fact purchase a Dexter myself, as the option to replace a player if required is very nice, and I really wanted to see what this replacement could do. In my own Dragon's Lair I'm running a LaserAce coupled with a Pioneer 4300D, and a new limited edition Disc with a spare tucked away just in case.

I hope this makes sense :D

Cheers!

Johns-Arcade.

It does, I understand originality and I hope that it remains original for as long as possible :)

Dexter seems to me to be a replacement made for those people who care about originality as well (uses original wiring, original loading times are retained etc) so at least that option is available to a future owner :)

It does, I understand originality and I hope that it remains original for as long as possible :)

Dexter seems to me to be a replacement made for those people who care about originality as well (uses original wiring, original loading times are retained etc) so at least that option is available to a future owner :)

Very true, and this is one of the reasons I purchased one. :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Loved Dragon's Lair and the sequel Space Ace as a teen, I have both of these games on Mame but as we all know it's NOT the same thing as the original laser disc game. Keen to see the finished product :) I have restored a couple of machines (Super Sprint, Super Hang On) but this one would be a tad out of my league.

All the Electronics are now done. I finished repairing the monitor this afternoon, and it also received a re-build. The monitor had a vertical collapse on initial fire up, and after checking everything I couldn't fault any of the components. So firing the monitor up again I started tapping on the frame with the back of a screwdriver, up came a full picture. Constant tapping would cause the picture to collapse again and so on. The problem turned out to be a hair line crack in the vertical drive section. for anyone wondering, the monitor is a Electrohome G07

I through the rejuvenator on the tube to check it, but all 3 colours showed very good emissions, so nothing further was done.

Here's a few pictures of the game working (under the control of LaserAce)

IMG_1397.thumb.jpg.b180f8d780c8124a5601b032a341e02f.jpg

IMG_1400.thumb.jpg.09f5afa5ccc37acbd1fd9b2a7e7cfed1.jpg

IMG_1402.thumb.jpg.b6a064d6bbd1fab3b801b6babc99461b.jpg

And one for @Gemini2544 as he seems to be into this sort of stuff ;)

IMG_1398.thumb.jpg.e204b47b01ec4b208a585cc95eb1b36c.jpg

I'm very happy with the picture quality, it looks very nice considering it's running an original disc made in 1983

Not much more to do now, just the side art and fit the monitor and this one's done :)

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

• 2 weeks later...

The Dragon's lair restore is now complete.

Here's some final pictures of the game plus a short vid showing the game fully working.

Side art applied, and looking nice!

IMG_1435.thumb.jpg.add627094becdb6a6cc5a37e8e7a5510.jpg

IMG_1437.thumb.jpg.1b2661c0a46c52e918542be8bbeab75d.jpg

The original monitor refitted after being rebuilt and adjusted. The picture is very nice.

IMG_1430.thumb.jpg.d581e9cf6ceb6731e23335e111768e7a.jpg

And finally a test of the game running.

[video=youtube_share;--Yv4Ymaq_4]

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.