Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Buck Rogers SS

BIG Trev

Question

I've had someone contact me regarding repairing their Gottlieb Buck Rogers pinball, it's the old story, it's been sitting in the shed for years and now won't work when I turn it on. If he brings it over I was going to start with fuses and check the power first but was just wondering if there are any other common faults I should keep an eye out for?

I've located some system 1 schematics and will have a look through them and it's already had a remote battery fitted.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

14 answers to this question

Apparently the GI lights up but nothing else happens. I've started reading that write up.

Cheers Trev

If the MPU is battery damaged then that is the likely suspect, if not try reseating the connectors.

The one under the battery gets damaged from battery leakage.

Also check your voltages on the power supply.

If the MPU is battery damaged then that is the likely suspect, if not try reseating the connectors.

The one under the battery gets damaged from battery leakage.

Also check your voltages on the power supply.

I'll be getting some photos this weekend. I should know more then.

Cheers Trev

• Administrators

Silly bugger Trev :punish:, the procedure is.........

1) shake your head as he unloads it, making Hmmmm noises as you go.

2) Open up the coin door and lift the playfield while shaking head more vigorously, make more hmmmm noises, with a possible "oh no" thrown in

3) Point outside the shed while telling him "look, a drop bear" and pull the mains fuse quickly while he is distracted

4) Plug it in and turn it on.....say "bugger....nothin' "

5) Poke around for 10 minutes (more Hmmm noises)

6) Tell him it is stuffed and offer him $200 bucks for it because he seems like a good guy and you would not want him to have to pay to tip it.

7) Call me so we can arrange pickup where I will pay you $300 for the POS, landing you a nice tidy little 50% profit for your troubles.

Got it? Sweet. Waiting for your phone call.

Dave

2) Open up the coin door and lift the playfield while shaking head more vigorously, make more hmmmm noises, with a possible "oh no" thrown in

3) Point outside the shed while telling him "look, a drop bear" and pull the mains fuse quickly while he is distracted

6) Tell him it is stuffed and offer him $200 bucks for it because he seems like a good guy and you would not want him to have to pay to tip it.

7) Call me so we can arrange pickup where I will pay you $300 for the POS, landing you a nice tidy little 50% profit for your troubles.

Dave

Damn I've lost your number. 😉

And you'd just

1) shake your head as I unload it, making Hmmmm noises as you go.

3) Point outside the shed while telling me "look, a drop bear" and pull the mains fuse quickly while I'm is distracted

6) Tell me it is stuffed and offer me $200 bucks for it because I seem like a good guy and you would not want me to have to pay to tip it.

Dave

That was so funny Dave :)

Good luck

Before you power it up Trev, check all the connector plugs for Green staining on the contact pins, it's 99.9% that the machine will need repinning of all connectors. Next, don't power it up with the displays NOT being connected to the board or it will end in even more tears. Also you'll find the slam is N/C & tilt is N/O. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to also mention Trev on the driver board the MPS-U45 transistors are no longer available. however you can use a TIP102 mounted in reverse with the base & collector crossed wired. Not neat but a solution if your stuck.

Like Gemini says, check is the slam tilt switches, they need to be closed, if they are open gottlieb system 1s won't boot up. The ball roll slam tilt switch can often be dirty and cause a problem. Dirty connectors can cause the slam tilt to be open, too. Sys 1 is weird in that the slam is normally closed so if it opens no more game.

I just buy the pascal 4x1 and repin all the connectors. The pascal board rocks, with some cool features like GI attract lighting and 50K pts for special which makes specs all important again, let's face it, with these sys 1 games half the fun was winning free games from specs, so the 50K feature brings element back into the gameplay.

Like Gemini says, check is the slam tilt switches, they need to be closed, if they are open gottlieb system 1s won't boot up. The ball roll slam tilt switch can often be dirty and cause a problem. Dirty connectors can cause the slam tilt to be open, too. Sys 1 is weird in that the slam is normally closed so if it opens no more game.

If the tilt slam switches are tripped then the displays strobe

This one sounds like it's not even getting that far