Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

RFM Playfield cleanup

Hi all, wondering if anyone has some suggestions on cleaning up my RFM Playfield. It's mostly disassembled right now, and I'm in the process of polishing all the metal and plastic parts.

However there's a few spots where it looks like the inserts are starting to poke through on the edges and a few places where scratches and etc are visible up close.

There's also a few places (like the right orbit - top right of the first pic below) where the dirt/grime seems to be ingrained and either won't come out, or the playfield seems to almost have a bit of a small rut in it where the ball is typically shot.

Any suggestions on what to do and/or products to use to fix some of this up? Does my playfield need a new clear coat or something??

Thanks for any suggestions!

7a38b37972bdd971dee7f892ef661bfa.jpg2a6ed4ff9640c99e3314ad3123bd1349.jpg516f3dd3ebd70209efc3593503ecf634.jpg673ad5e7efdccf3848c3f7ef9df7bb25.jpg54bd5687dfa58862069352c1bd893cfa.jpg

Hi

Your playfield is actually quite good - the wear that it has is rather minimal compared to what it could be.

If you're any good with an airbrush, you could go that route by sticking some frisket down and making a sort of stencil to then spray over some new paint and that would get rid of the outline for example on the "attack mars" insert. This is amateur advice and some may say this isn't at all the way to go but I think your playfield needs not too much work. If you want a new clearcoat to make it shiny, @Savage or @humpalot are two members on here who can assist you, although they may not like being mentioned in the same sentence :laugh: Both are really great blokes who do some killer playfield work. They would return it looking perfect.

I would be most focussed preserving the state of the art as it is. Perhaps have a look at a playfield protector? These are made of plastic and are non-adhesive such that they just go onto your playfield now that it's all stripped down and then you reassemble on top of it. They will run you about $150 and they look great.

Good job with the tear down and let me know if you have any more questions :)

Max

RFM Playfield cleanup

Have you given the playfield some grief with a magic eraser? They work a treat.

I've even used 2000 grit wet dry paper with caution. I stress caution and with a light spray of water.

And like Maxi suggested, the playfield does look pretty good. You need to weigh up how perfect you want it, to effort needed to tidy up.

Clean and polish will make a world of difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. I guess my main concern is keeping everything in the good order that it is currently & therefore not letting anything get any worse - prevention, rather than a cure kinda thing.

I've used mothers aluminium polish and some magic eraser on the metal ball guides, which has worked wonders to make them nice and shiny. Novus 1 on the plastics turns them out all lovely too. I've used some mill wax previously on the playfield, but it didn't seem to last very well :(

Any particular products that you guys have used to get that shine and protect onto my playfield? Or perhaps I just didn't put enough elbow grease in the first time round? How many coats should I be doing?

I also noticed a small chunk out of the right large alien claw a few inches above the right flipper after I bought the machine - I certainly didn't do it, and the previous owner reckons it wasn't there when he sold it to me, so we came to a stalemate :(.. I can be a bit handy, but really don't want to mess my machine up & i think a full repair is beyond my capabilities.. But does anyone have any advice on what to do to help it not get any worse?

Thanks champs!

Considered a playfield protector ?https://www.cloudshops.com.au/epages/shsh8245.mobile/en_AU/?ObjectPath=/Shops/shsh8245/Products/PP%231009

I didn't know those existed tbh... Pro's/Con's?

Do they stick down like Mylar? Or are they just a layer over the top? Do they warp when you screw posts and etc down to the playfield?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I didn't know those existed tbh... Pro's/Con's?

Do they stick down like Mylar? Or are they just a layer over the top? Do they warp when you screw posts and etc down to the playfield?

There are two camps. :-)

Some feel these are like using protection, don't feel it etc...

I'm firmly in the camp where these are a godsend and protect playfields perfectly. As long as you keep your machine clean, new balls etc like you should, should last for a long time without scratching so you notice them..

They sit, layer on top, don't stick to the playfield and don't go under any posts, all around, so don't warp.

YMMV, but short of a clear coat, don't see why you wouldn't install one if you want to protect your playfield.

I mentioned these in my post. I have purchased over 15 of these and have had good experiences. They do scratch more visibly than a clear coat but they above all protect your playfield, where clearcoat can lift and crack and become fuzzy which is at times irreparable. For a good original playfield, go protector, but if you're getting it restored, a clear coat seals the restoration in place.

The choice is yours!

P.S. They do not stick down, they are held down by the parts when you reassemble so they move slightly once on but shouldn't warp as they are quite thin. Dust gets under them but the ball does not make contact with the playfield.

Max

Okay. Where's a great place to buy these from then? djc listed one above, is there other places in Aussie too? Are the protectors all identical or are some better than others?

Does anyone who's firmly in the "don't do it" camp have an opinion?

My machine has a few small bits of Mylar down in a couple of places, will this fit right over the top? Or do I need to remove those?

Okay. Where's a great place to buy these from then? djc listed one above, is there other places in Aussie too? Are the protectors all identical or are some better than others?

Does anyone who's firmly in the "don't do it" camp have an opinion?

My machine has a few small bits of Mylar down in a couple of places, will this fit right over the top? Or do I need to remove those?

The link I provided is the only local Aussie one I am aware of. Will cost ~$70 more if you order from Europe. There is only one company making them, so should be identical, but I understand they started using a slightly different material late last year, so what you get will depend on age of stock.

As long as you are happy with the look of the mylar, no need to remove.

And are these compatible with the cliffy protector I've got on my ball popper / Stroke of Luck hole? I assume this protector just slides under the cliffy?

And are these compatible with the cliffy protector I've got on my ball popper / Stroke of Luck hole? I assume this protector just slides under the cliffy?

Yes. I generally install the playfield protector over cliffys, but can go either way.

The place that sells playfield protectors is a gas spring company in qld. Precision gas springs I believe and go to their online store and then to pinball. You should find your title there and if you don't then you can ask the german guys if they have it. His name is mirco and I buy from him. No need to remove mylar if it's still in good nick

The place that sells playfield protectors is a gas spring company in qld. Precision gas springs I believe and go to their online store and then to pinball. You should find your title there and if you don't then you can ask the german guys if they have it. His name is mirco and I buy from him. No need to remove mylar if it's still in good nick

Does anyone else find it weird that a gas spring company also sells pinball playfield protectors??:huh: No judgement, just seems a little weird.. I've got one on order either way :)

just order it from mirko hes a good guy

More reliable and postage is faster too. The guy in qld is pretty hopeless with sourcing and shipping.

Well I already ordered it from Precision Gas, so we'll see how long it takes..

Thanks team

I ordered one from them about 2 months ago and it arrived same week with no dramas.

Well I got mine on Thursday afternoon - 4 days. So I'm pretty impressed.

Looks really good - there was a couple of small places where the plastic protection sheet came off during transit, but I imagine it won't be much of a problem.

Only thing I've gotta overcome now is removing and then replacing the flippers on my RFM, so I can fit the protector.

Anyone got any tips on not failing at removing & reinstalling the flipper bats??