Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Whitewater - Williams

I have had my Whitewater for about three years. In the past year or so I have had the oppertunity to play several other copies of this title, and each time had the feeling I was lucky to have a machine that plays like mine does now. There are a few tips and bits I have found, specific to this game, that seem to make a big difference.

Disaster Drop - The metal ball guide on the right side of the ramp entry, above bounceback targets: It appears some operators would kink/bend this guide so that a drop shot that falls short will come back SDTG. I examined this part on my own game after playing a horrible machine and it is dead straight, factory I would say. My half hearted drop shots land centre of right flipper every time, as intended by design I would think.

Lost Mine kickout - direction variance: Some copies I have found will shoot the ball at centre of right flipper, where it bounces at high speed onto the bottom point of the slingshot, and then toward drain generally. This does not "go with the flow" or the game designers intention I think. My copy shoots it at the last 10mm or so of the flipper rubber, at the heel, where it then rolls up the right inlane giving you a river letter or two. In some cases it will roll all the way up the right inlane, and the spin off the metal lane guide will encourage the ball to roll staight over top of guide and down the right outlane. If the kickout shoots too high, the ball has a dead bounce off the metal guide straight above the flipper and often follows an arc straight into the guts.

Pop bumpers - sensitivity, or lack of: I had a bumper switch that had large gap, the lower pop. When the ball goes half way up the Boomerang Bend and rolls slowly down it often touches the lower bumper skirt on the way out. As it is deflected without the pop trigering it heads out of the boulder garden SDTG. You want the bumper to pop in this circumstance, making the boulder garden spit balls out more randomly and not consistently SDTG.

Spine chiller - Joint where ramp runs onto top playfield, just before the No way out VUK drop point: Games often have a step here, which can cause ball hang-ups. I have noticed the severity of this varies. Mine only takes a little wobble to move ball along if it stops here on a dead roll. I have seen machines where people are tipping the machine sideward to dislodge this hangup, tilting the machine.

There are some others I don't recall right now, but these are some of the main mechanical playability issues I have discovered since I have owned and been playing this game. :)

• 10 months later...
Updating, a good mate just aquired a WH20 and the lost mine scoop has a decent bulge in the back from so many kickouts. This seems to make the kickout from the mine pretty random in it's direction, sending the ball anywhere from the tip of the flipper or to the metal inlane guide above the flipper, and anywhere in between. Good for spreading the wear I guess, but I think it is in line for a new scoop weldment.

I have had my Whitewater for about three years. In the past year or so I have had the oppertunity to play several other copies of this title, and each time had the feeling I was lucky to have a machine that plays like mine does now. There are a few tips and bits I have found, specific to this game, that seem to make a big difference.

Disaster Drop - The metal ball guide on the right side of the ramp entry, above bounceback targets: It appears some operators would kink/bend this guide so that a drop shot that falls short will come back SDTG. I examined this part on my own game after playing a horrible machine and it is dead straight, factory I would say. My half hearted drop shots land centre of right flipper every time, as intended by design I would think.

Lost Mine kickout - direction variance: Some copies I have found will shoot the ball at centre of right flipper, where it bounces at high speed onto the bottom point of the slingshot, and then toward drain generally. This does not "go with the flow" or the game designers intention I think. My copy shoots it at the last 10mm or so of the flipper rubber, at the heel, where it then rolls up the right inlane giving you a river letter or two. In some cases it will roll all the way up the right inlane, and the spin off the metal lane guide will encourage the ball to roll staight over top of guide and down the right outlane. If the kickout shoots too high, the ball has a dead bounce off the metal guide straight above the flipper and often follows an arc straight into the guts.

Pop bumpers - sensitivity, or lack of: I had a bumper switch that had large gap, the lower pop. When the ball goes half way up the Boomerang Bend and rolls slowly down it often touches the lower bumper skirt on the way out. As it is deflected without the pop trigering it heads out of the boulder garden SDTG. You want the bumper to pop in this circumstance, making the boulder garden spit balls out more randomly and not consistently SDTG.

Spine chiller - Joint where ramp runs onto top playfield, just before the No way out VUK drop point: Games often have a step here, which can cause ball hang-ups. I have noticed the severity of this varies. Mine only takes a little wobble to move ball along if it stops here on a dead roll. I have seen machines where people are tipping the machine sideward to dislodge this hangup, tilting the machine.

There are some others I don't recall right now, but these are some of the main mechanical playability issues I have discovered since I have owned and been playing this game. :)

Thanks for all these tips.

I have been playing mine for a few months now and I have had a couple of issues that i am working through.

The Spine Chiller/VUK exit area: mine kept getting ball hang ups. I haven't pulled out all the ramps to get to this section to see what was going on, but I did manage to get a small piece of mylar to cover the gap. This has almost totally stopped the ball from getting stuck, if it does stop there, it only takes a small nudge to get it rolling again.

Lost Mine kickout: I find that by holding the right flipper in the up position, the ball always shoots up the inlane, then back down again. Occasionally, it will overshoot the top but rarely ends up in the outlane. I think I'll check the scoop after reading these comments.

Pop Bumpers (Boulder Garden): I don't think my bumpers are set sensitive enough, often the ball travels slowly down and doesn't register before draining. I will look into this.

I have an unusual problem with the lower boulder, the ball gets stuck under the lip of the boulder just above the pop bumper, It hangs here until it does a ball search. The weird thing is when you take the glass off, the problem disappears. It seems the glass is touching 'Big Foot's Cave' Boulder, that then pushes down on the clear ramp below it, which then in turn pushes down the lower boulder, reducing the clearance of the edge of the boulder where the ball hangs... I'm not sure if that boulder is original or a copy replacement, there seems to be 2 colour variants of boulders on my machine, some have a more reddish tinge than others. I guess I need to have a look at other machines.

I'm planning on spending an afternoon taking apart the ramps etc, to clean everything up and put some LED's in it. See If I can fix up a few niggling issues.

• Like 1