Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lamb found on the road.

I'm known to accept orphan lambs from the lamb meat breeders around here. Anyway there is one farmer up here that breeds RAMS specifically for the wool market. His RAMS sell up to $30K each and he is very particular about his genetics & won't allow any males off the property without being sold as breeders.

Now the lucky part, a motorist saw a small defenseless lamb on the road and stopped to pick it up. This person dropped it off at the General store who called me to collect it. Anyway the lamb survived the night & is drinking & functioning brilliantly. I later found out where the lamb came from and the farmer was told by the shop keeper it was Female & so he didn't care that I had it.

This lamb is a Male & will be our new breeding Ram when he grows up, Lucky me! ;)

Second photo is what he will grow up to be like.

Edited by Gemini2544

I'd be getting a written receipt:lol

Does make you wonder if being a breeder he doesn't know a male from a female lamb.

Seriously though Doug, good on you sir. As said above karma has come and given you a wooly pat on the back.

I thought it was just Mary that had a little lamb? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Silence of the Lambs :)

Director of this movie, Jonathan Demme died today :( Look for this movie to be on free to air in the coming week/s. Great movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Long as you don't make any 'dinner' jokes about this one...:o :cry :laugh:

I feel bad every time I have chicken or eggs on toast for dinner and the budgies are in the same room as me :lol

I'd be getting a written receipt:lol

Does make you wonder if being a breeder he doesn't know a male from a female lamb.

Seriously though Doug, good on you sir. As said above karma has come and given you a wooly pat on the back.

How exactly is it Karma? Karma would be if the lamb was returned to the farmer and he then "gifted" it to the OP or offered it's services further down the track. As far as I can tell, the farmer was only told it was a Ewe lamb by the shopkeeper so he is unaware that the lamb is a Ram?

Hmmmm, a classic case of "theft by deception".

If you want positive karma, do the RIGHT thing and hand the obviously Male lamb back to it's owner.

The owner has poured money & labour into breeding his lambs and is now missing one.

Being misinformed by the shopkeeper that it's female and having the farmer not want the FEMALE back doesn't make this situation right when you damn well know it's male and witholding it from returning to it's rightful owner.

You are an opportunist and will get no good karma from keeping it.

- - - Updated - - -

How exactly is it Karma? Karma would be if the lamb was returned to the farmer and he then "gifted" it to the OP or offered it's services further down the track. As far as I can tell, the farmer was only told it was a Ewe lamb by the shopkeeper so he is unaware that the lamb is a Ram?

Yes, good karma would be receiving $1k reward for returning the lost lamb, instead of keeping the lamb under misleading reasons.

Edited by Marty Machine

I guess you won't be letting the farmer know that it's a Ram lamb then?

Well as the shop keep thought it was a girl & told the breeder that, he's not looking for it. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmmm, a classic case of "theft by deception".

If you want positive karma, do the RIGHT thing and hand the obviously Male lamb back to it's owner.

The owner has poured money & labour into breeding his lambs and is now missing one.

Being misinformed by the shopkeeper that it's female and having the farmer not want the FEMALE back doesn't make this situation right when you damn well know it's male and witholding it from returning to it's rightful owner.

You are an opportunist THIEF and will get no good karma from keeping it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, good karma would be receiving $1k reward for returning the lost lamb, instead of stealing it.

I can tell you for a fact that if I gave it back he would kill it, no way would he bottle raise it. It's also smaller than it should be for it's age too which is probably why it's mother left it. I'll spend my time feeding & raising it so it has a long happy life. Anyway, he knows I have it & could come over anytime he wants, So how is it theft? Also it was the school headmaster that found it, So I'm the third person to get it. I didn't steal it & the breeder doesn't want it back regardless of it's sex. I saved it's life!

Edited by Gemini2544

Well as the shop keep thought it was a girl & told the breeder that, he's not looking for it. :lol

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you for a fact that if I gave it back he would kill it, no way would he bottle raise it. It's also smaller than it should be for it's age too which is probably why it's mother left it. I'll spend my time feeding & raising it so it has a long happy life. Anyway, he knows I have it & could come over anytime he wants, So how is it theft? Also it was the school headmaster that found it, So I'm the third person to get it. I didn't steal it & the breeder doesn't want it back regardless of it's sex. I saved it's life!

It's theft by deception, you haven't alerted the owner to the fact that it's a male which he would want back. You're just taking the opportunity to keep a free lamb as long as the owner 'think's it's a female that's gone wandering.

When he does his next count or health checks etc, he'll THEN know he's one male sheep down and more than likely come knocking on your door for it.

Do the right thing and ring/visit the owner and let him know you have the male lamb and let HIM decide to take it back or let you keep it, but it has to be HIS decision, not YOURS via deception.

I don't care how much spin you put on it, you are deceiving the owner for your own gain.

Maybe someone will visit your house shortly and "find" your car to take home with them, and there's nothing you can do about it because your description of the colour may differ form the person who took it, and that's all ok by your screwed up logic.

Edited by Marty Machine

I don't think you'll be invited to the barbie, besides possession is 9/10ths of the law and do you know the legal costs involved when prosecuting an owner for a wandering piece of livestock, it's lots of $$$$.

Would people be so upset if the title or description did not have $30,000 in it?

He saved this lambs life which I am willing to bet NO ONE would have cared less if it did not have the $30,000 tag attached.

Wish someone would look after me just to breed! :laugh:

I don't think you'll be invited to the barbie, besides possession is 9/10ths of the law and do you know the legal costs involved when prosecuting an owner for a wandering piece of livestock, it's lots of $$$$.

i wont either then cos i agree with marty.. its the wrong thing to do.

instead of asking in town and cherry picking the good answer you want to hear just be decent and go see the bloke in person.

Better that than him in your driveway with a shotgun on the front seat of the ute ready to fix it the oldschool way.

Its theft.

- - - Updated - - -

Would people be so upset if the title or description did not have $30,000 in it?

question makes no sense. if it WAS a female and he didnt want it .. no. the issue its its not.. its a male from a protected breeding line.. thats the whole point.

price isnt the issue. theft of breeding stock through an opportunity to run away with it ( basically "i got away with it so its ok") .. is still theft.

decent bloke would go see a bloke, walk down the yard and say listen mate about that lamb... not crow about it online

A few people should calm down and understand the definition of 'theft by deception' as it applies in legislation - below:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ca195882/s81.html

In this instance, it is the store owner that might have mislead the farmer. No one else committed deception.

As to whether keeping the lamb upon receipt of this knowledge is morally right, well that's an entirely different issue.

I've been reading extracts from several Acts and there's quite a few of them, he did not steal the animal so there's no need to call him a thief, he was given it and in doing so has complied with the Animal Welfare Act 1993 and taken care of it which is an obligation otherwise he is guilty of animal cruelty , yes that's another Act. He is rightfully eligible from the owner for compensation for caring for this little fella. If the owner is not looking for it then it's not an issue if he is he also needs to comply with more regulations in another Act. It's a complicated thing being a farmer especially with straying livestock.