Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

US company busted for selling multiboard arcade machines?

My 2 cents because you all didn't ask:

It's illegal.

But many think it's not because the games are so old, the company's whom own the games originally are long gone (appears not), and there is a feeling of genuine love of the old games....how can it be wrong!

But if someone still owns the IP, it's illegal.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Mabie you havn't been reading the posts. Because that's what's being said all along through this thread.

https://www.coinopstore.com/

Multiboard cabs is one part of their business... it's not like these reported riches were made just from selling multiboard pirated games. They also sell genuine PCB's, arcade furniture, and original arcade games.

No one ever sites these machines (outside of china lol) they are HUO. Sited machines you see out in pubs etc will be PCB's ie 60-1's cause they are way more reliable (no hidden windows OS) but also legal to site.

Am I reading this wrong - how is it legal to site a 60-in-1? Did the guys manufacturing 60-in-1's licence Pac-Man, Galaga etc from Namco/Midway etc? Just because it happens and just because no one gets prosecuted, doesn't make it legal.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you are saying here.

• Administrators
Am I reading this wrong - how is it legal to site a 60-in-1? Did the guys manufacturing 60-in-1's licence Pac-Man, Galaga etc from Namco/Midway etc?

They are all bootleg versions of the games, this has been discussed many times since the very first 4 in 1 of these boards surfaced on AA.

Its not legal but there's nobody enforcing it either.

The tell tail sign is there is no copyright or manufacturers name anywhere in game.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Edited by Arcade King

Personal opinion - own one (a 60in1) if you want, I do - but personally I wouldn't sell them, nor site them. Namco is still around as is Nintendo plus several other companies who made arcade games BITD - I would rather argue my taxes with the ATO over a fight in court with either of them over profiting from their IP on illegal hardware.

:)

Am I reading this wrong - how is it legal to site a 60-in-1? Did the guys manufacturing 60-in-1's licence Pac-Man, Galaga etc from Namco/Midway etc? Just because it happens and just because no one gets prosecuted, doesn't make it legal.

Sorry if I've misunderstood what you are saying here.

see Post #14...

I always thought 60-1's were legal, licenced versions of the roms on a PCB.

When you have large reputable resellers selling the Hankin 60-1 and advertising it and prizing it in raffles and comps etc (which is very cool, don't get me wrong here) i was under the false assumption that the 60-1 boards were legal.

I now know better :)

see Post #14...

I always thought 60-1's were legal, licenced versions of the roms on a PCB.

When you have large reputable resellers selling the Hankin 60-1 and advertising it and prizing it in raffles and comps etc (which is very cool, don't get me wrong here) i was under the false assumption that the 60-1 boards were legal.

I now know better :)

They are fine for home use, Similar to the way Media Shifting laws were socially considered inconsequential (ie. Mix tapes).

And even sited free play apparently (x2 Cocktail tables have been added to the kids area at the local Westfield shopping center).

They are not technically legal - Nor are they commercially viable enough to chase individual operators around the world for licensing breaches.

The worst you might get as an operator is a cease and desist.

Is it illegal to have the 60 in 1 board if you have all the original boards in your possession ?

I know the boards are illegal to distribute, but wondered if there would be a grey area to operate a machine if you owned the real boards.

This has been talked about for quite some time. It has never been tested in court to my knowledge which tells me the IP owners are not clear about it either.

Realistically, who is going to have the 60 exact games that are in a 60in1? I guess you could turn off the games for which you do not have a board??

It may come down to it was illegal to purchase the 60 in 1 board from the manufacturer if they don't also hold the original boards?

Im sure the lawyers for the licenced owners could argue that the 60 in 1 board cant be distributed because they are not original boards being sold?

It may come down to it was illegal to purchase the 60 in 1 board from the manufacturer if they don't also hold the original boards?

Im sure the lawyers for the licenced owners could argue that the 60 in 1 board cant be distributed because they are not original boards being sold?

I have an instruction booklet here somewhere for a 412in1 and it clearly says you are buying HARDWARE and that NO ROMs are included in your purchase price so who knows ??

"If a bullet cost $5000 there would be no more innocent bystanders" - Chris Rock

Not sure what my point is here, if a multi board cost $5000 (which I guess some theoretically could if all the games were licenced) nobody would buy them.

The core of the discussion reminds me of pirated content on YouTube, all responsibility for copyright infringement is put on the uploader (and to a lesser extent the viewer) and the site hosting the material absolves themselves of all responsibility even while profitting off the advertising they put on the content. You can't stop YouTubes hosting, it's all automated which is unavoidable due to the shear amount of content being uploaded. Nobody will stop the manufacture of multiboards, occasionally a reseller will be punished, perhapps the odd shipment seized but if you were Namco or Nintendo (or another copyright holder who is still selling content relevant to this discussion) who could you persue to stop the manufacturing?

In the case of 60in1s on ebay I have heard some sellers report each other so as to have less listings to compete with, just rumors I don't actually know anything, wonder if something similar happened here?

I bet any US based multiboard retailers are very nervous at the moment.

• Administrators

In the case of 60in1s on ebay I have heard some sellers report each other so as to have less listings to compete with, just rumors I don't actually know anything, wonder if something similar happened here?

Oh yes, I know of one individual who reported other sellers all while selling them himself.