Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern cabinet issues?

Ryza

Saw a thread on pinside last week about about cabs splitting apart at the corners. Out of the box and sometimes after a couple of weeks. Of course everything everything is exaggerated online but more and more people seem to be posting pics.

Has anyone with an Aerosmith or a new Metallica Ghostbusters etc had any issues?

People seem to be installing brackets to add suppprt but it's not much use if it's f**ked out of the box.

If you prefer not to post you can PM me.

f091137d5e56c4e36214ea3dc89087bb.jpg532a61c7ffd6631aa002ad4b5e675d07.jpg64c74396708133747a452ffae7d9afab.jpg

Saw a thread on pinside last week about about cabs splitting apart at the corners. Out of the box and sometimes after a couple of weeks. Of course everything everything is exaggerated online but more and more people seem to be posting pics.

Has anyone with an Aerosmith or a new Metallica Ghostbusters etc had any issues?

People seem to be installing brackets to add suppprt but it's not much use if it's f**ked out of the box.

If you prefer not to post you can PM me.

f091137d5e56c4e36214ea3dc89087bb.jpg532a61c7ffd6631aa002ad4b5e675d07.jpg64c74396708133747a452ffae7d9afab.jpg

Probably a combination of shit glue, sub-par prep work and rough handling while in transport.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Administrators

That is a fully keyed joint split along its length. Either that is the worst ply ever made or it has had the crap belted out of it, possibly a little of both. See on the last pic in post 2 how there is a square of timber visible in the end of the front panel? That looks like the keyed jointing separated from the front panel. Would take a hell of a hit to do that! @Ryza are we talking one or two pins or many (sorry I don't get time to mod AA and read Pinside too)?

Dave

Staple gun out of staples and no one bothered to check?

Hot off the press " Upon thorough investigations through our Quality Of Service we suspect a manufactured fault in our staple gun has caused this. We have now rectified the cause and can assure you that this is no longer an issue. For those machines affected we will be sending out a repair kit comprising of a tack hammer and nails".

d2217ce4ea513a24c8ccd771b7816db900064ba7.png.6a6e406763e75c32f8a080b56c9638b3.png

Edited by hotty

Many. Thread is almost at 1000 posts. Mostly bitching but lots of pics. Half seem to be onsite.

You can skip all the posts and view the pics here with no context.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-new-cabinets/page/20?gallery#g

I checked those out and the pic's seem to be of no more then a few different recent games? Looks like the same machine the GB and AS pic's come from display a few times also..

I first heard rumors of Stern using Indonesian wood and the playfields made in Indonesia over 5 years ago.

When rumors of inserts rising out of the playfields after little to no use, I was suspicious this Indonesian playfields story may have some merit to it.

As furballx said......

"That is a fully keyed joint split along its length. Either that is the worst ply ever made or it has had the crap belted out of it, possibly a little of both. See on the last pic in post 2 how there is a square of timber visible in the end of the front panel? That looks like the keyed jointing separated from the front panel. Would take a hell of a hit to do that!"

This is quite true but looking at the picture with the glass lock down mold removed, that indicates the front coin door panel coming off by being pulled forward at the top.

The only way I can see that happening through abuse would be someone trying to rip the front panel off by the lock down molding itself.

All the cabs I have repaired have always separated at the bottom of this panel, never the top or at least not at the top till the bottom of the panel is fully released already and that was as a result of the machine being dropped on it's front legs.