Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Terminator 2 Arcade PCB Sound Issue

Roxbury

Question

I am currently fixing/ restoring a T2 arcade shooting game.

Firstly the sound was randomly playing a small bit of music randomly. The diagnostic test showed that it was unable to detect sound board IRQ. I think I have fixed that by cleaning the pins that the interconnecting ribbon cables connect to. Now the test is successful, and you get the single tone as expected when running the diagnostic.

The problem I have now is that all the sample like sound effects are crackly and distorted. However the game music is fine and sounds perfect.

Has anybody come across this before? Thought I would ask before going over everything in case anybody knows what could cause the problem.

4 answers to this question

Sounds like a failed OKi if your getting music but no SFX sounds seen this before on Midway and other PCBs that use that chip its a small surface mounted chip

I have tested the ROMS & ribbon cable with a sound board from NBA Jam and it all worked fine. Your theory sounds like it is probably spot on.

is there anything else you can check to ensure that it is the Oki M6295 at fault?

Otherwise in terms of replacements I am looking at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Lot-U6295-Manu-OKI-Encapsulation-QFP-44-/261861805624?hash=item3cf82e0e38:g:nIQAAOSwymxVN17D

unless you got a logic probe or oscope no

another quick test just check the pin connections that none have lifted from age you can try a reflow but if still the same just replace it cant comment on ebay ones if there real or fake counterfiet but worth a try