Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Glass Mini Playfield

I have a couple of problems to overcome with this idea and I'm interested if anyone has any ideas.

I need to put some post bolts through the glass, not in the direct path of the balls, on the sides of the glass to hold the balls from falling off so not balls will be hitting and stopping dead.

What is a good way to insulate the metal post bolts from the glass?.

There will be no bumpers, flippers or mechs of any type on the glass section of the playfield.

I need to attach the glass section of the playfield to a wooden section as in to the end of the playfield to mount the flipper mechs too. Any ideas how to do this?.

I'm thinking silicon myself.

And lastly, if the glass is 6mm, what type of glass would be suitable for such an application?.

The size of the glass will be roughly half the length of a playfield by 150mm.

I'm not interested in using any type of plastic because plastic just doesn't remain clear for long with a ball rolling over it.

Clear silicon grommets should work. Not as visually intrusive as rubber, and they should last a while, too.

I would strongly recommend tempered glass. As far as I know, it's impossible to cut or drill tempered glass, so you need to get your glass cut and drilled and have it tempered once you are happy with the dimensions and locations of any holes. If you are going half a playfield, the same thickness as a normal pinball cover glass (4 mm?) would work. Tempered glass is insanely strong, as long as you do not have impacts against the edges or corners. (Those are deadly, even quite minor ones.) Depending on the look you want, 6 mm might look better but, in terms of strength, 4 mm should be fine.

Michi.

• 4 months later...

I also was thinking of using glass, have you got any pictures you are willing to share ?

I have a couple of problems to overcome with this idea and I'm interested if anyone has any ideas.

I need to put some post bolts through the glass, not in the direct path of the balls, on the sides of the glass to hold the balls from falling off so not balls will be hitting and stopping dead.

What is a good way to insulate the metal post bolts from the glass?.

There will be no bumpers, flippers or mechs of any type on the glass section of the playfield.

I need to attach the glass section of the playfield to a wooden section as in to the end of the playfield to mount the flipper mechs too. Any ideas how to do this?.

I'm thinking silicon myself.

And lastly, if the glass is 6mm, what type of glass would be suitable for such an application?.

The size of the glass will be roughly half the length of a playfield by 150mm.

I'm not interested in using any type of plastic because plastic just doesn't remain clear for long with a ball rolling over it.

I've asked my Mrs as she used to sell glass fittings and she recommends using silicone tubing over the screw where it passes through the glass, the metal screw should not be in contact with the glass at any point. She also said using toughened glass is a must.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
Toughened glass is definately much stronger. However, the tempering process makes it loads more susceptible to scratching. Unlike plastic, you will never polish scratches out of toughened glass. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck with the idea.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Yep, as more parts are going on it I think poly-carbonate is the easier way to go.