Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Spider-Man Vault Edition and PinballX

OzStick

Question

I have an odd problem with this table. If I try to load it via PinballX it appears to hang, the ROM does not load (ie there is no output to DMD) and it then drops back to the PinballX menu.

It WAS running fine directly from VPX, however since attempting to run it via PinballX I now have the same "crashing" problem.

I thought that due to it being a new table it needs a new version of something, but what? Is this a known issue? If so can someone please point me in the right direction as I've been searching all the usual Virtual Pinball sites and so far come up empty.

It's rather frustrating as I had it working with the coloured ROM with Sharkky's colour palette and it looked awesome on a PIN2DMD!!!

25 answers to this question

I find pinball x so buggy. Some of my tables I have won't load the rom through pinball x but are completely fine through the editor. Old pinmame or Sam, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and I couldn't find others with the same problem either. Maybe a win 10, vpx and pinball x?

Also get this bug where it loses focus after three tables previews.

I'm trying out hyperpin instead for this reason

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

sounds like a ROM issue, not a PBX issue.

What ROM are you running?

That's what I thought, however the ROM launches fine via VPinMAME first time, every time. It does take about 15 seconds to initiate though.

I'm running the modded smanve_101c.

That's what I thought, however the ROM launches fine via VPinMAME first time, every time. It does take about 15 seconds to initiate though.

I'm running the modded smanve_101c.

Possible the machine is running out of memory, with having pinball X in memory pushing it over the edge? Have you tried running it on lower resolution to lower it's footprint?

Could also be a wayward character in the PBX database. Do you edit the Db manually to add games to PBX or use the Game Manager?

The table loads though, isn't the XML linking the table and then vpx uses the script to search for the rom?

The table loads though, isn't the XML linking the table and then vpx uses the script to search for the rom?

Ah so the table actually loads then hangs, rather than hang in the loading process (so it never actually loads then crashes)

hmmm...

Pbx timing out maybe? As in it waits for the response but does not receive it so then hangs?

Does it take as long to load on the second load @OzStick , could load in vpx then open pbx to load

To trouble shoot I mean.

OK, I've just noticed that Metallica is now doing the same thing, so I'm going out on a limb and saying it has something to do with SAM or the new DMDDEVICE.DLL.

I'll do some more hunting around and see what i can find out.

I've done some more testing and it appears the issue is with the CONTROLLER.VBS file. Star Trek LE and Metallica (VPX version) look like they require the newest version, but Spider-Man Vault edition (which is a newer table) won't work with the newer one but seems fine when I roll it back to an older version.

Go figure!

But it works loading from vpx but not through pbx?

Correct.

I now have Spider-Man Vault Edition running a 15 month old version of controller.vbs (which I have renamed to prevent confusion). The ROM runs perfectly directly from VPM, the table launches fine from VPX (albeit without a backglass) and initialises the ROM correctly. If i try to run it from PinballX it loads the table, does not initialise the ROM, hangs for about 20 seconds, crashes VPX and then drops back to the PinballX menu.

I have Metallica running a newer controller.vbs. Its ROM also runs perfectly directly from VPM, the table launches fine from VPX (WITH a backglass) and initialises to ROM correctly. It does the same as Spider-Man when trying to run via PinballX.

Star Trek LE is now working perfectly regardless of how it is launched, so now all I need to have it locked away is a colour palette for the DMD.

I've made quite a few changes to this setup recently, including installing the newest Firmware for the PIN2DMD so I could take advantage of the colour enhancements. This includes running the new SAM version of VPinMAME that now uses the dmddevice.dll file.

Metallica is the only one of the 3 tables mentioned above that I was running before making these changes and it was running perfectly. based on that I think my problem lies with either VPinMAME.dll or dmddevice.dll

Correct.

I now have Spider-Man Vault Edition running a 15 month old version of controller.vbs (which I have renamed to prevent confusion). The ROM runs perfectly directly from VPM, the table launches fine from VPX (albeit without a backglass) and initialises the ROM correctly. If i try to run it from PinballX it loads the table, does not initialise the ROM, hangs for about 20 seconds, crashes VPX and then drops back to the PinballX menu.

I have Metallica running a newer controller.vbs. Its ROM also runs perfectly directly from VPM, the table launches fine from VPX (WITH a backglass) and initialises to ROM correctly. It does the same as Spider-Man when trying to run via PinballX.

Star Trek LE is now working perfectly regardless of how it is launched, so now all I need to have it locked away is a colour palette for the DMD.

I've made quite a few changes to this setup recently, including installing the newest Firmware for the PIN2DMD so I could take advantage of the colour enhancements. This includes running the new SAM version of VPinMAME that now uses the dmddevice.dll file.

Metallica is the only one of the 3 tables mentioned above that I was running before making these changes and it was running perfectly. based on that I think my problem lies with either VPinMAME.dll or dmddevice.dll

Odd. I can replicate the same issue as you where Spiderman LE crashes, BUT only when using rom "smanve_101". May be memory related though as it did also give the same crash message when launched direct from VPX when I had a heap of other programs loaded. Shut these programs down and it started fine, but still crashed from trying to start with PinballX. Metallica LE and Star Trek LE all work even with lots of programs in memory.

If I edit the script to use ROM "smanve_101c", Spiderman LE launches fine in PinballX. Note that it appears the same colour DMD images are displayed no matter what ROM you use, provided the pin2dmd.pal file is located under the ROM name in the altcolor directory. i.e It's not necessary to mod the ROM, although I am using the modded ROM in this case.

I have Windows 7, PinballX v2.29, and all the latest files including VPinMAME.dll v2.9 dated 13/03/17 and DMDExt v1.5.2. Running a virtual DMD.

So in summary, double check you are using ROM "smanve_101c".

Odd. I can replicate the same issue as you where Spiderman LE crashes, BUT only when using rom "smanve_101". May be memory related though as it did also give the same crash message when launched direct from VPX when I had a heap of other programs loaded. Shut these programs down and it started fine, but still crashed from trying to start with PinballX. Metallica LE and Star Trek LE all work even with lots of programs in memory.

If I edit the script to use ROM "smanve_101c", Spiderman LE launches fine in PinballX. Note that it appears the same colour DMD images are displayed no matter what ROM you use, provided the pin2dmd.pal file is located under the ROM name in the altcolor directory. i.e It's not necessary to mod the ROM, although I am using the modded ROM in this case.

I have Windows 7, PinballX v2.29, and all the latest files including VPinMAME.dll v2.9 dated 13/03/17 and DMDExt v1.5.2. Running a virtual DMD.

So in summary, double check you are using ROM "smanve_101c".

Thanks @OzBlackKnight - I did mention in an earlier post that I am indeed using smanve_101c. I've also tried other ROMs as you suggested, with similar results.

After some more testing (getting SICK of testing!!!) I found that every third or fourth attempt I could get Spider-Man to run, pretty much in keeping with what someone else had reported over at VPinball a couple of weeks back:

http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/problem-vpinmame-2-9-pinball-x-pindmd3/

He's indicating that it was happening to him with ALL colour modded Stern tables, whereas it's only occurring on my setup with Metallica and Spider-Man Vault Edition. Metallica is a little different in that it will not run via PinballX AT ALL - it fails to initialise the ROM and crashes VPX every single time I have tried it via PinballX. Oddly enough, it runs correctly without fail via VPX.

I will put up with it for the time being as not having Metallica is hardly a showstopper and Spider-Man is a bit of an inconvenience having to re-attempt running it 3 or 4 times before it works.

Thanks @OzBlackKnight - I did mention in an earlier post that I am indeed using smanve_101c. I've also tried other ROMs as you suggested, with similar results.

After some more testing (getting SICK of testing!!!) I found that every third or fourth attempt I could get Spider-Man to run, pretty much in keeping with what someone else had reported over at VPinball a couple of weeks back:

http://vpinball.com/forums/topic/problem-vpinmame-2-9-pinball-x-pindmd3/

He's indicating that it was happening to him with ALL colour modded Stern tables, whereas it's only occurring on my setup with Metallica and Spider-Man Vault Edition. Metallica is a little different in that it will not run via PinballX AT ALL - it fails to initialise the ROM and crashes VPX every single time I have tried it via PinballX. Oddly enough, it runs correctly without fail via VPX.

I will put up with it for the time being as not having Metallica is hardly a showstopper and Spider-Man is a bit of an inconvenience having to re-attempt running it 3 or 4 times before it works.

Sure is frustrating. I has issues where the ROM would crash when testing in VPinMAME, but worked in VPX. %%*!%*#%*%^&! This was fixed with the VPinMAME.dll from VPinMAME SAM v2.9 r4245 from Virtual Pinball Universe, and the DmdDevice.dll from DMDExt v1.5.2, which is the combination I am using now. If you already use both of those, maybe try an older Spiderman LE ROM. Every game I have tried now works within PinballX so I'm leaving things alone for as long as possible. :-). Good luck!

Is VP10 running better now for people? The couple of VP10 tables I run just don't play or feel right - horrible ball spin and bad physics. That is Spiderman Stern and Demolition man. I haven't tried the latest 10.2.1 though. Also where is the Spiderman Vault table??

Is VP10 running better now for people? The couple of VP10 tables I run just don't play or feel right - horrible ball spin and bad physics. That is Spiderman Stern and Demolition man. I haven't tried the latest 10.2.1 though. Also where is the Spiderman Vault table??

I think the physics is about the authors. I agree though, walking dead for instance I don't really play because of the spin. I recommend the tables on monsterbashpincab, some of the newer tables from flupper like diner have awesome physics. Try a few of those and see where you stand

So I have just managed to get around to trying Spiderman Vault Edition with the color rom and it looks great.... but as per this thread, it crashes when I attempt to launch it via PinballX.

I will have a play and see how I go, but thought I'd check in to see if @OzStick has perhaps found a solution??? My problem could possibly be that I don't have VPinMame 2.9 and I can't seem to find it. I find mentions of it on forums but I can't find a download for it.

Edit: I think I found 2.9 here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2933-sambuild29-beta-thread/

So I have just managed to get around to trying Spiderman Vault Edition with the color rom and it looks great.... but as per this thread, it crashes when I attempt to launch it via PinballX.

I will have a play and see how I go, but thought I'd check in to see if @OzStick has perhaps found a solution??? My problem could possibly be that I don't have VPinMame 2.9 and I can't seem to find it. I find mentions of it on forums but I can't find a download for it.

Edit: I think I found 2.9 here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2933-sambuild29-beta-thread/

I don't think that will do it @JustAnotherRat as I have tried with 2.9 but I still does the same thing! Spiderman VE seems to work every 3rd or 4th attempt regardless of what support files are used.

I ended up persevering with my problem. Pbx is now working. Not with the dmd and backglass in pbx but everything else is fine the table loads. I went with pictures for convenience at this stage, just screen shots. I ended up having multiple problems. The Sam tables are all loading fine. I have the stable non beta installed if that helps. Took me abort 4 hours to get working though.

I finally got the the bottom of my little issue, not sure if it will help anyone else but here goes:

Just prior to adding Spiderman Vault Edition and a few other tasty new tables I got around to updating my test bench PIN2DMD to the latest firmware, re-patching all the relevant ROMs etc so I could start using the latest VPinMAME and take advantage of the new "ALTCOLOR" method of colourising the DMD. Due to it being a test setup I opted to use the DMDDEVICE.DLL file from the latest version of Freezy's excellent DMDExt utility, so that way I could easily switch between the PIN2DMD and using the VirtualDMD on a third LCD screen.

Somewhere in all that I managed to be running the wrong DMDDEVICE.DLL file!!! Once this was correct I now have every table, except for Spiderman VE, running perfectly well via PinballX.

Back to the common problem which seems to be occurring with Spiderman Vault Edition, I found another VPX version of Spiderman which runs a different ROM (SMAN_261) and it runs correctly first time every time both via VP and also in PinballX. I tried it with the colour modded SMANVE_101C ROM and it worked the first time, but then after that it exhibited the same behaviour as the Vault Edition table. I then tried SMAN_261 with Vault Edition but it still did the same thing!!

So I've now washed my hands of Spiderman Vault Edition until the problem is addressed, presumably with a future version of VPinMAME.

For anyone that wishes to persist, grab the other version of Spiderman from here:

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/3631-spider-manstern2007ninuzzuv11vp10/

Then run that with the SMAN_261 ROM. If you're feeling game, see whether you can run the colour patch on that ROM and then use the palette file to see if it works. THe worst that will happen is spending 10 minutes creating a corrupted ROM.......

I think I've stumbled across a solution.

I just downloaded the new Beta version of ACDC LE and found that when running the table, the ROM would not initialise then VPX would crash. Someone on one of the virtual pinball Facebook groups mentioned they had this same thing happen with for ACDC LE and Spiderman VE and another guy suggested to run the tables with the "Colorize ROM' option UNCHECKED.

I did that, as well as swapping to unmodded ROMs for both tables and voila - they both run perfectly directly from VPX and also PinballX.

I have no idea why it's not working with the modded ROM and colour palette, but if it means these two tables run properly with just the "boring" default colour palette then I'm still happy.

I will keep an eye on Facebook and other forums to see if others report the same problem and hopefully those who attend to these things will work out a suitable fix so we can enjoy that awesome full colour mod for Spiderman VE!