Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Forgetton MAME Gems? What are people playing?

After many years I'm getting my 4 player MAME cab finished.

Recently found Cowboys of Moo Mesa... Great game Id never heard of.

What other Gems are out there?

Not just 4 player stuff!

Cheers

SCOTTO

Hey @Scotto

I am not sure if these are everyone's idea of 'gems' but these are some of the games that we have played recently in the MGL section of this site.

I hadn't heard of most of these before playing them in the MGL but got some enjoyment playing and learning these games.

Lasso

Guzzler

Bagman

Nibbler

Rainbow Islands

Pooyan

Astro Invader

Mario Bros

Check them out, you might find something you like.

Today someone mentioned Salamander 2 to me, I hadn't heard of it before and it's awesome. I liked Salamander and didn't know it had a sequel.

Escape Kids is a fun 4 player game you don't hear about much. Also for four player I always wanted to try Snow Bros 2 with four players... (must build a 4 player cab someday...)

Hard to justify the space for the 4p cab at times but its great when it's in full flight. NBA Jam always popular. Sunset Riders also.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I generally play the games I played in Arcades or at the movies or bowling in the 80s.

The only thing I play now that I didn't play back then is Snow Bros.

Not sure it is a hidden gem but I had never heard of it 5 years ago and play pretty much every week.

That game has used up way too many hours of my spare time.

Snow Bros is a great game. I was trying to chase the Twin Galaxies record for a while a few years ago, my best score would have put me at 3rd at the time but I haven't played it much in the last couple of years. It has some nice depth to the scoring, although if you don't get the red power up quickly you're kinda screwed points wise. I think it was the last game I played in the wild for 20c a credit too.

Played Pang heaps. I'll have to check out Snow Bros.

Jeebus, if you haven't heard of Snow Bros. there might be a huge list of stuff to recommend you :)

Black Tiger is a perennial favourite. As is Xain'd Sleena. Both are one player games though, or just one player at a time.

All the CPS1 and CPS2 beat-'em'ups and platformers are good - we've all heard of Final Fight, Alien vs Predator and SF2, but there's Dynasty Wars, The Punisher, Captain Commando, Armored Warriors, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Knights of the Round, King of Dragons, Ring of Destruction, the D&D games, Warriors of Fate, Willow, Three Wonders, Nemo, Magic Sword, and more. Try the ones in italics first IMO. Bit of variation there.

Other obscure beat-'em-ups might be Undercover Cops: Alpha Revision (make sure you get UC:AR, not the normal US version), The Gladiator/Road of The Sword, and Guardians/Denjin Makai II.

This is a great thread, keep 'em coming.

Mine probably aren't 'forgotten gems' because i'm too young to know what were big in the glory days, but i LOVE Wizards of Wor. It's my go-to 2P game when friends come over.

I was introduced to a whole heap of great games in the MAME Gamer's League; favourites are Bank Panic and UN Defense Force: Earth Joker.

Hey @Scotto

I am not sure if these are everyone's idea of 'gems' but these are some of the games that we have played recently in the MGL section of this site.

I hadn't heard of most of these before playing them in the MGL but got some enjoyment playing and learning these games.

Lasso

Guzzler

Bagman

Nibbler

Rainbow Islands

Pooyan

Astro Invader

Mario Bros

Check them out, you might find something you like.

As a fellow MGLer I will agree with BigRedBird with one small exception.

NO Astro Invaders!!!!!!! :p

To add to the list.

Ladybug

Bubbles (not so much a "forgotten" gem)

Radical Radial (a rough gem)

Moon Cresta/Eagle

Juno First (already mentioned?)

Eggs/Scrambled Eggs

and one of my personal favorites...

Space Zap (not a "gem" in the truest sense of the word but boy does it get your heart rate up there!)

Demon Front looks awesome, it was IGM trying to copy NeoGeo's metal slug titles for it's own PGM system. Meant to be pretty good. Most of the PGM stuff is kinda undiscovered to me, I've never even heard of one in the wild, though i've seen dragonlee selling a few bits now and then. Edited by buttersoft

Anyone else use light speed and the all killer no filler list? Found every game on that is good and of a decent quality. Might not be my cup of tea though but worth that try

Sent from my HTC 2PZF1 using Tapatalk

I use the Internet Archive Launcher in Kodi and have found this list to be ace. Highly recommend to anyone.

Some good stuff in this topic. I have a bunch of stuff to look up now.

I also agree with Juno First. I only found out about that recently. Its so fun and I love the look of it. Probably my favourite vertical shooter, even though the graphics are so simple.

Chicken shift!

Hell yes

got a friend who has one of the top scores in the world on this game though he doesn't play much of any other games and is more a pinball guy, he is a master of chicken shift.

If you can stomach the music, it's a fun game that will have you getting your right and left hands completely messed up :D

If you like Snow Bros, Nightmare In The Dark is vary similar but less cutesy.

I have many fond memories of playing Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo at parties with friends.

Also Captain Tomaday for its oddness (Who doesn't love a mutant flying tomato as the main character?).

Ninja Spirit, In The Hunt, possibly more from Irem.

Chicken Shift is a favourite too. So simple, but so difficult.