Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

ACS 2018 Adelaide

AMD presents The IFPA Australian Championship Series 2017

Adelaide 9-11 February 2018

2018 is Adelaide's turn to host the ACS. We plan to put on an amazing event for you!

AMD, Australia's official Stern pinball distributor, is the major sponsor for the event and is providing $3,000 in prize money for the players.

Amusement Worx, Adelaide's distributor of Jersey Jack, Planetary Pinball, Stern and American Pinball machines, is a gold sponsor, supplying in kind support via transportation & tech support over 5 days.

We have found the perfect venue for the ACS right in the heart of the Adelaide CBD. The venue has plenty of room, lots of power, a hipster bar, a funky little restaurant. The proprietor loves pinball so we are getting a crazy cheap rate - The Jade is a Silver sponsor!

The Jade

142-160 Flinders St, Adelaide SA 5000

+61 473 260 048

https://goo.gl/maps/rvhsHrEo6jQ2

1,000's of rooms of accomodation are within walking distance, as are hundreds of restaurants and cafes.

Food: Phat Buddha Rolls at our venue will be open for lunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:30am - 2:30pm. Friday. (NB: They don’t do breakfast. The Cambodian Cheeseburgers are particularly great!)

The venue has no issues with people bringing in food for breakfast and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday, they ask that people are courteous and clean up after themselves. The venue opens at 8:30am.

The Flinders Street Project (276 Flinders St, the Hutt St end) is just down the road and they serve breakfast from 8am on the weekend. There are a hundred restaurants within 1km so plenty of options.

Parking station round the corner from the venue, flat rate $8 fri after 6pm and all day sat/sun. Thu/Fri early bird in by 9:30am $18. Closes midnight.

UPark Pirie/Flinders Street

191-207 Pirie St, Adelaide

Enter / Exit Sudholz Place off Flinders Street

https://goo.gl/maps/udJamfGXuBU2

We will run 4 comps, the first will be a flip frenzy starting at 7pm on Fri 9 February. The fourth and final comp will be another flip frenzy ending at 5pm on Sun 11 Feb.

We have chosen Flip Frenzy for these two to make it easy for people flying in and out. Adelaide airport is a 15-20 minute drive from the venue. See google maps directions: http://bit.ly/2z8y0Ad

The ACS main event qualifying is Saturday day. A strikes tournament on Saturday night. Main event finals sun morning.

Accommodation:

Serviced apartments with kitchen: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255093-Adelaide_Greater_Adelaide_South_Australia-Hotels.html

Backpackers: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g255093-Adelaide_Greater_Adelaide_South_Australia-Hotels.html

Tournaments:

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 9

7-10.30pm: Flip Frenzy 1.

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 10

9.30am-6pm approx: ACS Group Matchplay Qualifying (6 rounds of 3 matches).

(10:30am Side/Novelty Tournaments for those who don't qualify for ACS)

7-11pm: Group Knockout (2 or 3 strike depending on numbers). Tournament format subject to change.

SUNDAY FEBRUARY 11

9.30am: ACS Finals for top 16 qualifiers. Single Elimination Bracket.

(10:30am Side/Novelty Tournaments for those who don't qualify for ACS Finals)

2-5pm: Flip Frenzy 2.

List of machines for main event (subject to change)

OLD

Top Score 1975

Jacks Open 1997

Strikes & Spares 1978

Joker Poker 1978

Close Encounters 1978

Pinball Pool 1979

Nine-Ball 1980

MID

F14 Tomcat 1987

Mousin’ Around 1989

Creature FTBL 1992

White Water 1993

The Flintstones 1994

Baywatch 1995

Monster Bash 1998

NEW

Spiderman 2007

Iron Man 2010

Tron Pro 2011

X Men LE 2012

Star Trek Pro 2013

TWD LE 2014

Kiss Pro 2015

Guardians OTG Pro 2017 confirmed

Dialled In, AFMR and the new JJP POTC will be in the Flip Frenzies and the Strikes tournament but not the main event.

The machines will be set up very tough. We are aiming for half hour game times for a group of 4.

Cheers, Greg

Edited by onetaste
corrected error

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That date sounds good to me Greg. Venue sounds great as well. Could you say the suburb you were thinking of holding it? I have found that Airbnb has been a cheap option for accomodation for trips to Brisbane and Melbourne recently. Ends up being cheaper than a hotel room.

Does it have air conditioning in there? Could be a scorcher in Adelaide in February :)

Not even sure if I will qualify for this year but sounds like you have done a lot of work so far organising this.

That date sounds good to me Greg. Venue sounds great as well. Could you say the suburb you were thinking of holding it? I have found that Airbnb has been a cheap option for accomodation for trips to Brisbane and Melbourne recently. Ends up being cheaper than a hotel room.

Does it have air conditioning in there? Could be a scorcher in Adelaide in February :)

Not even sure if I will qualify for this year but sounds like you have done a lot of work so far organising this.

Thanks, Pat. I hope you make the cut, it won't be the same without you :)

The suburb is Adelaide, 160 Flinders St https://goo.gl/maps/YQRmSgLxKDu AirBNB and loads of serviced apartments, probably cheap because uni students aren't back yet. Yes, it has aircon.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/thejadeadl/photos/?ref=page_internal

http://barcentral.com.au/venue/jade-monkey/

https://www.yelp.com.au/biz/the-jade-adelaide-2

- - - Updated - - -

Some photos of the venue

Beer garden for the smokers...

13103467_10153566478046409_7618078349590821025_n.jpg.128a22fdbb796dfdae78cfb40e352272.jpg

The bar (no pinnies in here, just beer, coffee and people

18922547_10154610753751409_5810997913754156995_o.thumb.jpg.fc0d15aafd709f807d5be910ad648777.jpg

13668791_10153767895171409_504041613717383175_o.thumb.jpg.acbbabb54279c21878d4dc2ae4f99899.jpg

The Cambodian food shack in the beer garden. There are loads of other awesome restaurants, all very close

12375218_10153283247966409_1202172672325420725_o.thumb.jpg.d47b74521954a870b3b059b255fb446b.jpg

more beer...

10858464_10152559116076409_8978583879326070126_n.jpg.be08a80ce8a3d518f692c072b494286d.jpg

the proprietor Zac pulling a beer. The Sinbad on their Facebook page is his.

10325203_10152134827751409_2956468644917073141_n.jpg.dbe65dd52b1e4ef888c7378cbf38731a.jpg

One of the possible pinball locations inside, although we'll probably use a bigger location inside that was once a nightclub, it has seating, heaps of power, good aircon

10259709_10152471134536409_2388548622839037364_n.jpg.2fbe15483c593d1d9e41fd9e10fa5745.jpg

Edited by onetaste

Looks great and I appreciate all of the effort you and the guys are putting in to host it this year. Great work.

I won't be competing this year as I've taken the year off chasing points, but I'm 99% sure I'm coming along anyway for the SA hospitality!

Looks great and I appreciate all of the effort you and the guys are putting in to host it this year. Great work.

I won't be competing this year as I've taken the year off chasing points, but I'm 99% sure I'm coming along anyway for the SA hospitality!

We'd love to have your presence, Mark, there will be 2 tournaments for all comers (probably Fri and Sat nights) in addition to the ACS.

Last year, I floated the idea of holding the ACS a little later, in March. That's because, generally, we don't have the final IFPA rankings until the second or third week of January. Especially for people on the cusp, where they cannot be sure whether they are in our out (depending on points and cancellations by other people), that can make it difficult to find accommodation and flights at a reasonable price.

So, I'd still suggest, say, the first week in March rather than February.

Cheers,

Michi.

Changing it to first week in March might interfere with Pincade for people wanting to go to this awesome event

Well, make it second week in March then, or last week in February. It's simply about allowing people who are eligible to attend but only find out fairly late to still get reasonable accommodation and flights, and to make room in their schedule.

Cheers,

Michi.

Last year, I floated the idea of holding the ACS a little later, in March. That's because, generally, we don't have the final IFPA rankings until the second or third week of January. Especially for people on the cusp, where they cannot be sure whether they are in our out (depending on points and cancellations by other people), that can make it difficult to find accommodation and flights at a reasonable price.

So, I'd still suggest, say, the first week in March rather than February.

Cheers,

Michi.

March is the worst time to try and hold an event in Adelaide it's called mad march for a reason. Accommodation, flights will be real expensive at short notice if you can get them. No chance of getting a venue either

ACS 2018 Adelaide

Great idea, Michi. As Grant mentioned, there are tourists everywhere in Adelaide from mid Feb for the festival, womad, Clipsal 500. Accommodation (if you can get it) will cost double to triple and flights probably double. And we won't be able to find a venue because there are more than 400 fringe events on.

...there are tourists everywhere in Adelaide from mid Feb for the festival, womad, Clipsal 500. Accommodation (if you can get it) will cost double to triple and flights probably double. And we won't be able to find a venue because there are more than 400 fringe events on.

I agree with keeping costs down for interstate travelers, however if some Adelaide locals can put the work in, is it possible to approach Fringe and push for the pinny's to be part of the show?

https://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/manifesto

I don't think it's too far a stretch to believe there's plenty in the Adelaide pinny community who'd be happy to billet out pinny mates from other states.

Cheers,

G

Great idea, Michi. As Grant mentioned, there are tourists everywhere in Adelaide from mid Feb for the festival, womad, Clipsal 500. Accommodation (if you can get it) will cost double to triple and flights probably double. And we won't be able to find a venue because there are more than 400 fringe events on.

Sounds like we have no choice then. Something to keep in mind for next year? A little later would probably make it easier for people on the borderline.

Cheers,

Michi.

ACS 2018 Adelaide

Doubt that I'd have played enough to make it in, although a road trip sounds good, via Hashmans place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One or two wins by dec is all it takes, Eddy. I think 45-50 is usually the cutoff. If you come I'll bring my Xmen :)

I agree with keeping costs down for interstate travelers, however if some Adelaide locals can put the work in, is it possible to approach Fringe and push for the pinny's to be part of the show?

I don't think it's too far a stretch to believe there's plenty in the Adelaide pinny community who'd be happy to billet out pinny mates from other states.

Cheers,

G

Good idea re billets, Greg, i'll add it to our list of tasks to set this up.

We might be a bit early in Feb to get on the Fringe programme but I'll look into it.

Sounds like we have no choice then. Something to keep in mind for next year? A little later would probably make it easier for people on the borderline.

Cheers,

Michi.

Safe to say, think you have made the cut Michi, now look out for some cheap flights

Safe to say, think you have made the cut Michi, now look out for some cheap flights

I'm not worried about my own spot. I'm pretty sure I'll qualify. It's an issue for people though who can't be sure whether they'll be invited because getting a spot depends on other people higher up in the rankings choosing not to attend. (I was in that situation last year…)

So, I'd still suggest to move to early March or late February for 2018.

Cheers,

Michi.

Cheers,

G

I am happy to help with accommodation if their is a group of interstaters together. I live probably 25min drive from the venue but it's a pretty easy drive down one of 2 main roads into Adelaide City Centre.

• 2 weeks later...
The venue has made a special arrangement and we can have the following weekend Fri 9th Feb through to late Sun for the comp. Shall we move it to this date? This will allow an extra week for those on the cutline to make arrangements. We need to give them an answer ASAP because someone else wants the venue on the 10th.

The venue has made a special arrangement and we can have the following weekend Fri 9th Feb through to late Sun for the comp. Shall we move it to this date? This will allow an extra week for those on the cutline to make arrangements. We need to give them an answer ASAP because someone else wants the venue on the 10th.

That date works for me Greg.