State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1008 Post(s)
      Australia

It's Time To Build A Homebrew.

Pretty much since I joined this excellent forum, the thought of making a homebrew machine has been working away in my head.

I don't want to just do another conventional pinball as I doubt I could match the features of current machines on offer but I figure I can do things not attempted before to make people at least look, well that is the plan anyway.

In my thinking pinball hasn't really changed enough to bring in new blood and maybe something a bit different may. To me notable changes in the past were going from EMs to SS.

The introduction of multiball and split level playfields had an impact as did LED lighting but all to a lesser degree to the original EM to SS.

Without giving away to much I have decided on using Williams system 7 board sets as they have some cool features display wise, are 7 digit and after going through all this vintage game programs, ( as I have to use original game rules using these board sets), I have settled on a little know Williams system 7 game called Warlok.

The game isn't super complicated but has some unique features and is more a strategy game. It only used 39 of the available 64 switch inputs these board sets offer.

It has 2 ways of getting extra balls and 2 ways of getting specials, something I really miss in current games design as well as a game based on bonuses and multiplier to earn good scores, again, something I really miss from current pinball design.

It has double playfield scoring and bonus countdown but no multiball.

Multiball simply won't work on what I am planning and honestly I think it has had it's day. I value extra balls far more useful than multiple balls on a playfield at once.

Anyway, I put no timeline on this machine. I am also not loaded and this project must be made as I make money to pay for this "hobby". I will keep changing it till I like what I have but I hope to make an interesting thread about it's development.

For those of you unfamiliar with Warlok, here is a gameplay video showing the game and rule set I have to work around.

is joining the Dark side

Happy

State
      NSW
      Mentioned
      163 Post(s)
      Quoted
      775 Post(s)
      Australia
      I'm really looking forward to seeing progress on this pinball and can fully understand the time and money restraints.😉
      It's great to see another homebrew pinball in the works.
      Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      It doesn't hurt to ask.

is Taking a break from all
      projects.....until the next
      one comes up.

Friendly

State
      westlake, Brisbane
      Mentioned
      148 Post(s)
      Quoted
      370 Post(s)
      Wales
      That is the best "rules" presentation I have seen
      Looks like a good set of rules for a homebrew.

is restoring a Gottlieb Lawman EM

Wtf

State
      Heathcote, NSW
      Mentioned
      27 Post(s)
      Quoted
      211 Post(s)
      Australia
      Got to hand it to you guys, great ideas and projects.
      I'm only just getting and handle on some of this stuff so most of it goes right over my head.

I haven't seen the Warlok before but I like it . Simple layout, some great shots and good rule set.
      Looking at ipdb seems to be a rare pin, don't know if I'd ever see one out here. (might put it on my shopping wish list)

is Trying to finish Battle Pinny
      for Pinfest

Crying

State
      Melbourne
      Mentioned
      91 Post(s)
      Quoted
      437 Post(s)
      Good to see you've jumped into the deep end @Autosteve ! Just remember to keep paddling madly and you will eventually get to the end ! Worst thing you can do on these projects is to set a time frame to complete it in. The major thing I have found with my project is that all my finish this and finish that dates have never been achieved ! So do what you can, when you can , and hopefully one day , enjoy what YOU have created ! A true ,one off Homebrew machine ! Good Luck !

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1008 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by thegrunta666 View Post
      Good to see you've jumped into the deep end @Autosteve ! Just remember to keep paddling madly and you will eventually get to the end ! Worst thing you can do on these projects is to set a time frame to complete it in. The major thing I have found with my project is that all my finish this and finish that dates have never been achieved ! So do what you can, when you can , and hopefully one day , enjoy what YOU have created ! A true ,one off Homebrew machine ! Good Luck !
      Nice encouragement. I appreciate it. Let's hope more people come along for the ride.

I see it as a way of getting ideas out to aid the industry because unlike them, we can make a lemon and still live with it.

For me I have no issues ripping out a playfield and starting over again if something just isn't right as I have no time restraints.

I intend on having the thing run as a white board to get a "feel for the layout" so basically no switches, sound or lighting and boards hooked up, just the coils and flippers at the start.

Only then can I judge how difficult a shot is and the appropriate reward determined from the game I have choosen's set of rules.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1008 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by thejudge View Post
      Got to hand it to you guys, great ideas and projects.
      I'm only just getting and handle on some of this stuff so most of it goes right over my head.

I haven't seen the Warlok before but I like it . Simple layout, some great shots and good rule set.
      Looking at ipdb seems to be a rare pin, don't know if I'd ever see one out here. (might put it on my shopping wish list)
      The system 7 Williams has a nice collection of unique games as the developers tried to rain in lost ground to videos and although they were low production numbers, they have some original game rules not seen before or after.

The 3 rows of 7 bonus lights on Warlok reminded me of Stern's Meteor, about the only early Stern I liked, but I also liked the way the rules run together on this machine.

While you can only get 21 bonuses, you can get massive multiplier and the multiplier "can carry over". It is settable.

The orbit lane is another nice feature jacking up every shot from 20000 to special before returning to 70000 points, again it is carry over or only that ball. It is settable.

I choose Williams because drop targets can be replaced with rollovers or targets, not just drop targets.

I also like Williams because while they only used solenoid drivers to power one voltage devices, 28vDC, you can use any voltage and a lot of my stuff is 12vDC like actuators and motor drives.

Another game ruleset I liked was Barracora, again a little known system 7 machine but it has features I really don't want to start with on my first homebrew and during the game play review is quoted to be maxing out the capability of the system 7 and having a deeper ruleset than most modern Stern's.

This is Barracora..

Maybe my next game's ruleset.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1008 Post(s)
      Australia

Seems a waste having behind the flippers not being utilized and beside the sling shot always having one return lane I think.

I have always found the exit lanes on modern pinballs to be of little value but this idea is to make these lane/ lanes an actual part of the machine sequence you 'must" get.

Maybe time to try something different.

I may use this idea but maybe not. Who knows yet. It could appear on the left or the right or I may just trash the idea. Depends on how it flows with the overall machine layout.

It requires the player to lift the flipper in time for the ball to pass through.

You miss it and the ball hits the backside of the flipper and you loose.

Maybe the rebound post behind the flipper could retract?.

I would think it best not to have a guaranteed ball return should you raise the flipper, more the ball speed determines whether the ball bounces high enough to for the player to save the ball.

Thoughts on this one?.

is having a status just so he
      doesn't have no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      80 Post(s)
      Quoted
      595 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
      Thoughts on this one?.
      I really like that idea! This is truly creative! A bit like the post in the outlane of machines that have an open inlane, such as Trident.

I suspect that this would take a fair bit of tinkering to get just the right percentage of saves. Somewhat like the TOTO roll-overs on WoZ. The spacing and positioning has to be just right to make it not too easy and not too hard. But, with some experimentation, I think this really could work. Think of it as a legal death save

Michi.
      May the pinballs tumble in your direction!

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      131 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1008 Post(s)
      Australia

Just to give you all some idea of what I'm thinking. This is by no means set in stone, just an effort to get away from the normal fan layout simply by adding two vertical flippers to provide sideways shots making full use of a fat wide body design.

If these vertical flippers were used they would be only active when the ball drains onto them from the feeds to each of them and be momentary one shot flippers.

As you can see, the playfield isn't even full length in this drawing yet, but the idea is to get far more use from the player's flipper skills rather than the player only having control of the ball when it is at the normal flippers.

While other machine layouts utilize multiple flippers, they often only have one shot on offer.

I have delibrately gone out of my way to make multiple shots as seen by the projected shot map and I haven't started on the center of the playfield or the top.

This hand draw picture is close to scale but not perfect and is not complete by any means so you need to use a bit of imagination as with the elevated ramps that take the ball over the playfield.

This is like I said more to show what I'm thinking rather than exactly as this would be.

I guess I'm after a bit of feedback on what looks like it would work and what wouldn't, what look like rewarding shots and what isn't.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information