Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PROMs for a Namco PPII PCB

20170621_130652.jpg

Hi guys.

I managed to get my Pole Position II fixed, but I'd like to relace two of the PROMs. They're so damaged I dont know how long they'll last....

THE FIRST CHIP

The problem is the data on the PROM at 2H a DIP20 located on the cpu pcb is unreadable owing to it being a military PROM which has a security feature. Type 10L8.

(Location 7C cpu on Atari pcbs)

Right next to the sound cpu, the z80.

I'm wondering three things here.

Can I use an equivalent?

Can I use a MAME file for the source?

And which file is it?

SECOND CHIP

Not as hard to sort out as it does not have the security feature.

74S287 [DIP16]

Location 2H Video pcb.

(Location 8M on Atari video pcbs

Same question remains though. Does the source data exist in MAME files, and which one is it?

PROMs for PP and PPII differ in some locations. 8M on the video pcb is an upgrade so the source file would have to be PPII file.

My pcb works and I'm very happy. It would just be good and interesting to delve into the area of programing. Be grateful if anyone has any idea, since I don't at this stage. :lol

I know I can't ring Atari, but just so it's Chrystal clear, the part numbers are....including the Atari Designator

ATARI CPU PCB

Location Description Part No.

7C Type-10L8 PAL Logic 3 13279-001

ATARI VIDEO PCB

Location Description Part No.

8M Type-82S129 PROM 136014-189

Edited by taito

Well I placed an order for the PAL and PROM with Stephan from Hobbyroms.com, so that pretty much sorts it.

If anyone knows how to do this or would like to post a comment saying. "Oh man, I could have done that for you!!", please do. I love tragic stories. Also I'm still interested in this area. Would love to expand my knowledge here. Thanks.

Cheers all.

Edited by taito

PROMs for a Namco PPII PCB

Well I placed an order for the PAL and PROM with Stephan from Hobbyroms.com, so that pretty much sorts it.

If anyone knows how to do this or would like to post a comment saying. "Oh man, I could have done that for you!!", please do. I love tragic stories. Also I'm still interested in this area. Would love to expand my knowledge here. Thanks.

Cheers all.

I'm happy to burn EPROMs or PROMs/PAL/GAL etc if you ever come across the need, as long as my burner supports it (Xeltek Superpro 280u) and you either provide the device you need burnt, or are happy to pay for me to order it and wait for it to get here :)

Stephan is great and can supply loads of stuff that others can't/won't so you've gone to the right guy

Thanks xodaraP for your reply. That's good to know Stephans' the guy.

It wasn't 100% necessary to get them but I'll feel better when I got good solid hardware in there.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

PAL10L8 is a PAL while 74S287 is a Bipolar PROM (compatilbe with the more common 82S129).

We on JAMMArcade.net have the GAL16V8 replacement for the PAL @7C:

http://www.jammarcade.net/files/pals/PolePosition-82S153-7C.jed

As for the BPROM, dump is in MAME ROM set, burn it on a 82S129 or other compatible 256x4-bit BPROM.Here is cross reference:

Signetics MMI TI Harris Raytheon AMD National Intel Intersil Fujitsu

--------- --- -- ------ -------- --- -------- ----- -------- -------

TS 82S129 (50ns) 6301-1 24S10 7611-5 29661 27S21 74S287 3621 7052

82S129A(27ns) 63S141 - 7611A - 27S21A - -

OC 82S126 (50ns) 6300-1 24SA10 7610-5 29660 27S20 74S387 3601

82S126A(30ns) 63S140 - 7610A - 27S20A - -

I have a lot of different Pal chips but unfortunately i didn't have the 10L8 type that you needed.

I did have the 74s287 prom though , i have tons of proms of many different types /sizes should you ever need any in the future.

I have a lot of different Pal chips but unfortunately i didn't have the 10L8 type that you needed.

As I said he doesn't necessarily need a PAL10L8 like the original chip (don't know even if the nativel PAL10L8 dump exist ).I posted a link to download a .JED for a GAL16V8 replacement so all you need is a GAL16V8 chip.

I did have the 74s287 prom though , i have tons of proms of many different types /sizes should you ever need any in the future.

Don't forget your programmer must be able to program the exact part.If you try for example to program a 74S287 as a compatible part like the 82S129 it will not work.This is because each BPROM has its own programming algorithm.

As I said he doesn't necessarily need a PAL10L8 like the original chip (don't know even if the nativel PAL10L8 dump exist ).I posted a link to download a .JED for a GAL16V8 replacement so all you need is a GAL16V8 chip.

Don't forget your programmer must be able to program the exact part.If you try for example to program a 74S287 as a compatible part like the 82S129 it will not work.This is because each BPROM has its own programming algorithm.

Yes i know proms are very fussy to program and it has to be the exact part , i have both 74s287 and 82s129 and a couple of other compatible types and 3 x different programmers that will program them all.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the prom and PAL from Stephan. The prom on the video pcb works. No worries.The PAL-3 7C ATARI CPU PCB... or 2H Namco CPU PCB didn't work. When I explained this to Stephan he apologized and offered a refund. I soon worked out though that the chip he burnt for me was correct, it just doesn't work in my pcb because my upgrade is a security/hack, not the official version. So having worked that out it would have been dishonest to take a refund. Especially since he produced exactly what Id asked for, a PP PAL. Anyway these chips are right in the line of fire when the acid leaks so I have spares for my next possible PP repair.

Id recommend Stephan to anyone.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge PP I and II boards awaiting deconstruction for the Namco customs, Z80s, SRAMs, EPROMs, and a few other parts. They are worth more as parts than as whole units to keep Galaga boards running.

Yeah...that's totally sucks huh!

Don't spread it around. Lol.