Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Price Check Fish Tales

Yeah, 3-4K is fair for a standard one. Low 3K and your doing well.

Don't buy one without the topper. Boat plastics are nearly always broken. Look for wear around ball drops, the 4 main fish on the stringer and boat ramp flap. Low fade on cabinet artwork will draw a premium price.

I've owned 2 fishtales, good game but will never be an A grade machine just because people ask for A grade prices. Don't worry about, faded cabinets because for around $400 you can completly re decal a machine if you don't value a price on your labour. As with a topper it's a noisy bugger after a few games, bet you'll unplug the solenoid to the tail it's easier to do than argue with the missus, granted it looks good but any singing Billy Bass fish will do, I'm personally not a big fan of toppers so I don't see why you should pay an extra 2-3K for machine ohh that also has $100 worth of LEDS to add another $500. But hey your money if a fully shopped pimped out fish tales is what your after be prepared to be asked for big $$$$$.

Don't worry about, faded cabinets because for around $400 you can completly re decal a machine if you don't value a price on your labour. ohh that also has $100 worth of LEDS to add another $500. But hey your money if a fully shopped pimped out fish tales is what your after be prepared to be asked for big $$$$$.

I agree. There are many who place high emphasis on the cabinet and there are not too many FT machines around without faded cabinets. Personally, as long as the game plays and functions as it should and the playfield and backglass/translite are real good, the rest is basically cosmetic. I just purchased a TFTC and am in the process of re-daclling the cabinet myself and powder coating all trim. Yes, time consuming and hard with two kids running around but fun at the same time. Very rewarding once all complete. Decals cost $285 and other supplies (primer filler spray, spray pain cans, sandpaper, masking tape, new scalpel blade, etc) cost about $80 - all up $365 and it's coming along a treat.

Yes I agree with what most have said, definitely about $3K and as high as $6K, possibly $7K depending on condition and where you buy from.

I was thinking i could do minor repairs i am a noob so way out of my depth but it would be a very good machine to learn on as i had so much fun with it as a kid. I think i would look at between 3-4k and then maybe hopefully fix things myself on it bit by bit if needed.

Youtube and google are god :)

I was thinking i could do minor repairs i am a noob so way out of my depth but it would be a very good machine to learn on as i had so much fun with it as a kid. I think i would look at between 3-4k and then maybe hopefully fix things myself on it bit by bit if needed.

Youtube and google are god :)

Spot on. It's a fun game to play and good family machine. You should pick something up for $3-$4k privately but add more from commercial sellers of course as they have costs, GST, warranty?, etc. I am only new into pinball ownership also (2 years now) and I have learn't heaps from members here on AA and you tube. I have stripped the top of a playfield (Getaway HS2) for clear coating, done minor repairs including soldering, etc, re-decalled two cabinets and done some nice restoration/improvement work. Absolutely shit scared of board work and anything like that but really enjoy the rest. It's so rewarding comparing that purchased machine on day one to the same machine a few months (or years) later.

I've had one FT since 1994 and a couple of others as well but regardless of the title the PF is the 1st thing I check on any machine I buy and then the underside of the PF as in wood condition/carbon buildup/soot on loom and then I've got a pretty good idea if its mutton dressed up as lamb or just genuine low games with a faded cab - that I can fix.

In older games like Bally SS, after the PF check is the BG - after that, it's all fixable.

Point is, don't worry about the cab. The ball doesn't run on the cab faces. Look at the PF as @jono suggested.

I'm thinking given the ridiculous prices of DMD games these days, 3 - 3.5 with a goodish pF and faded cab. That would make mine be worth about 7k:D

I have noticed on here people are very helpful i agree with you on the board work but the rest can be done with some help now the hunt begins on that Fish Tales :)

I had a few machines i loved from the early 90's but Fish Tales was your right a great family game and its not overly expensive like say an Addams Family.

The most important check on the cabinet is underneath it. That's normally the first sign of water damage if thats evident then start looking everywhere that moves open and shuts. My first FT cabinet was really faded and decals weren't available so I airbrused it. This is airbrushing of a Black Rose and Fishtales when you couldn't buy decals . As you can see they weren't completley finished at that stage so no tricks here.

2020523220_blackroseairbrush_NEW.thumb.jpg.f90d17a681bc571baafacaa4cc4c8c7e.jpg1119826929_fishtalesAirBrush_NEW.thumb.jpg.e8581799f268ea56923a5db118fcea8b.jpg

Edited by hotty

The most important check on the cabinet is underneath it. That's normally the first sign of water damage if thats evident then start looking everywhere that moves open and shuts. My first FT cabinet was really faded and decals weren't available so I airbrused it. If I can find the pics I'll post them.

Yeah pics would be good - keen to see that.

Thanks heaps guys so play field and water damage very important. Would appreciate some pics if you get time. If i come across a Fish Tales will take some pics and post on some opinions of worth before i hand over my sons education money :)

Price Check Fish Tales

Fun game FT - my god haven't pin prices gone stupid[emoji15] my FT was by memory $1500 a few years ago lol and $1800 for my WH20[emoji1] and the prices at Auctions in the early 90's wow oh the good old days. But as I said fun game good luck on your search[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You gotta buy to suit your skill set

If you suck at electronic fault finding and repairs then good electronics would be important

Some people have not got the skills or tools required to restore a cabinet so that is important to them

Each to his own

Very rewarding once all complete. Decals cost $285 and other supplies (primer filler spray, spray pain cans, sandpaper, masking tape, new scalpel blade, etc) cost about $80 - all up $365

Agreed but don't forget the 20 + hours of labour to do it properly.

FT come up pretty regularly. All I know for sure is that everytime I see one on gumtree that looks decent and is listed at 3.5K it is generally gone in a day. I'd put a wanted ad up on AA. I'm sure someone on here might be willing to sell one to you in the range discussed.

Fun game FT - my god haven't pin prices gone stupid[emoji15] my FT was by memory $1500 a few years ago lol and $1800 for my WH20[emoji1] and the prices at Auctions in the early 90's wow oh the good old days. But as I said fun game good luck on your search[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGREED. A mate of mine (another AA member but doesn't post too much) got a nice FT mid last year for $3.5K off a private seller/collector. It has bad cab fade but he stripped and cleaned entire PF including new plastic ramps & plastic set from RTBB, polished all metal, LED's, new rubbers, etc. Came up like new for only about an extra $400-$500 spent. One day he may do the cab but jeez it plays nice and looks fantastic.