Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Monster Bash Restoration

Well have had this one sitting stripped down for a couple of years now, and with too many other projects in the road, never got around to it. With 1 more weeks leave, i thought i would make a start on this one and try to get a chunk of the cabinet work done. Not ideal conditions with 36 degree days and 90% humidity in Townsville, but have the fans cranking in the shed!

Started this arv with this...

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/rjmilla/20170227_144832_resized_zpsnyhpy8w6.jpg

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/rjmilla/20170227_144842_resized_zpsrptg1sge.jpg

I had previously stripped the playfield to have touched up and cleared by Savage, and it has been boxed away waiting to be rebuilt.

Ripped all the old bits out, and started organising them into bits to be cleaned and/or replaced and working out what parts i might need.

Cab itself is solid enough, but has quite a few chunks and gouges

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/rjmilla/20170227_144846_resized_zpsqfgph5ff.jpg

Basically stripped everything out, then got onto removing the headbox decals

Before

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/rjmilla/P1040010_zpsuzjfw5nw.jpg

Without exaggeration, 30 seconds later

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz299/rjmilla/P1040011_zpsr1mzndli.jpg

I only recently got this Metabo sander, and it is AWESOME. It has an aggressive mode, and just eats the artwork off, taking the glue residue with it. Both sides of the headbox were sanded to bare timber in just over 5 minutes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, no unfortunately. We are lucky as we live on 2 acres outside of town. I wanted to dig a dam, and my wife wanted a Balinese Gazebo. We had previously planted a rainforest type garden in the background, hired a small excavator and bobcat for the day and $300 later had a whopping hole in the ground which filled up pretty quickly with our wet season. Then built the Bali Hut. Its 9 years old now, at the time, ones in the size we wanted (5.5m x 5.5m) were hideously expensive (around $20k as they didn't make kits in that size). So I built it myself for just under $5k, including hardwood decking. Was a really fun project and is awesome sitting out there having dinner during a tropical storm.

- - - Updated - - -

Great stuff Rob!

Interested in what you say about the sander, may have to invest in one. What paper grit did you use for taking off the decals?

I did a reasonable amount of research, and all the woodworking guys either go the Metabo or Festool. I got mine from total tools http://www.totaltools.com.au/trade-tools/brand/metabo/cat1/powertools/cat2/powertools_polisherssanders/0

I used 80 grit paper - i have heard of some using 60, but 80 works . Obiously need to take it easy and not hook in past the adhesive layer and start taking too much wood off.

I bought a heap of various grades of sanding discs from smith and arrow (online), all in boxes of 25 and they seem quite good quality and very well priced.

The Festool I used on AFM was great and definitely opened my eyes to ways of accelerating the cabinet prep process...but you really couldn't justify the price unless you were in the trade. Each side of the cabinet took about 30 mins with 80 grit with the decals prestripped.

Did you just sand the cabinet decals as per the headbox?

What sort of timing did you get with the Metabo on the main cab?

Yep, just took straight to the decals with the sander. The first bit to come off is the art, then the adhesive reisdue comes next. Total time to do the main cab front and 2 sides was under 30 mins. Obviously needs finer grades of sanding but this is just decal removal.

At $330 its very worth it...particularly when i think about previous efforts burning fingers with a heat gun and scraper and using glue remover multiple times to get rid of adhesive residue.

The action on better brands is so much more effective than ozito and similar budget stuff. There is no way i could have done it like this with thr ozito.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is my first attempt at using fibreglass resin to repair corner damage. Apparently it is much stronger than bog.

First step was to make a guard to stop it running everywhere. Got a 1mm thick aluminum strip from bunnings and bent this and nailed to the cab. This was coated with wax prior to nailing to ensure the resin didn't stick to it.

Then mixed a small quantity of resin and hardener in the kids medicine cup and dropped in with their syringe....hopefully they don't get sick tonight!

It goes off to a state where it won't run in a few minutes and then i removed the aluminum. Will leave overnight before sanding it.

3b288e4d788f5837a04f09d3dde4471d.jpg

7351b3ac4c68da6de979fb9919b5cc67.jpg

cc2fe45c5c66e882b15e6881aa1cd758.jpg

Had a pretty big day today in very hot weather! Started by sanding down the fibreglass resin and some bogging done last night.

0e5006d2a0d122edf28ad471528888f7.jpg

Then more bogging and sanding and removed the rear rails on the back of the cab.

a0e0fd839ee6f1e6f8a32d0f18f6285e.jpg

Then after more bogging and sanding was happy. Final sand with 600 grit

b834bffc7b38639c16c5b8bd7f0e37fd.jpg

Put the rear rails back on after a sand and primer coats.

4402779e1027bcedb5aaef64a0fb9acc.jpg

Then just finished a couple of coats of satin black on the inside, rear and edges.

6922bab106cf2064de24948fc4db3767.jpg

Will let the black cure for a week or two until i put the decals on....time to head to the air conditioning now!

Had a pretty big day today in very hot weather! Started by sanding down the fibreglass resin and some bogging done last night.

0e5006d2a0d122edf28ad471528888f7.jpg

Then more bogging and sanding and removed the rear rails on the back of the cab.

a0e0fd839ee6f1e6f8a32d0f18f6285e.jpg

Then after more bogging and sanding was happy. Final sand with 600 grit

b834bffc7b38639c16c5b8bd7f0e37fd.jpg

Put the rear rails back on after a sand and primer coats.

4402779e1027bcedb5aaef64a0fb9acc.jpg

Then just finished a couple of coats of satin black on the inside, rear and edges.

6922bab106cf2064de24948fc4db3767.jpg

Will let the black cure for a week or two until i put the decals on....time to head to the air conditioning now!

I'm curious, since I'm about to give my first resto a go, as to why you only paint the edges of the cab and not the full cab?

Is it just because it's not seen and not really needed?

Great progress @robm at this rate you will have it up and running before you go back to work!! Then when you get sick of it I'll ship it south to my place for you. Just for safe keeping 😉. BTW how is the MM project going? Have not seem any updates.

Congrats on the new addition as well. Hope all is well with Mum and bub.👍

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Great progress @robm at this rate you will have it up and running before you go back to work!! Then when you get sick of it I'll ship it south to my place for you. Just for safe keeping 😉. BTW how is the MM project going? Have not seem any updates.

Congrats on the new addition as well. Hope all is well with Mum and bub.👍

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Ha. Things will slow down a bit now. Got a heap of appointments the next few days with bub, then back to work next week. I'm stoked ive got the cab done while on leave as doing it late arvos after work everyday is a pain with kids, dinner and other jobs that need doing.

The MM is being played a lot, its done pretty much except for the flashers and cabinet art....i just can't be bothered at the moment since it plays perfectly! So it still looks like an nba fb from the side.

While waiting for the cab paint to cure, started cleaning and polishing some of the metal cabinet bits, painting cabinet bolts etc.

Also gave the transformer a tidy up and gave its legs a quick polish.

f963afcc70a53eb77c2dded9224f08e6.jpg

Started to clean some of the playfield stuff as well, you never can trust what monsters get up to once all soaped up....

6aa7d90bae512609399e5dfad9526239.jpg

I gave the figures a coat of clear by hanging them from a ladder

41fdd68e9d395cbc3f34d38d411103b6.jpg

A couple of places on them went a bit cloudy as it is so humid here, so i sanded those spots back and gave it a quick touch up with clear again in my makeshift spray booth...otherwise known as the laundry tub! At least inside it was air conditioned and a lot dryer and the clear was much better.

07707de92077ba089a2aa8b230c261b6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well we are totally prepared for cyclone Debbie, although it looks like it will now go well south of us now, so may as well get into the decal job!

Got my toothless helper on board today.

17491e6b705f55e57746f58f1a5ec909.jpg

Love the colour in these decals.

d0588632141567779469c29620facb65.jpg

ec3d87b502040a96eb91ca983860b29a.jpg