Thread: Super Combat

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Super Combat

Another one I picked up a few years ago. Rare but probably not valuable, made by London Coin Machines Pty Ltd. No info on machine or manufacture on the Internet.
    Big machine standing at 2 metres. All 240VAC motors and relays.
    super2.JPG

super4.JPG

super3.JPG

super5.JPG

super1.JPG

The control relays and sound unit are in the head behind the marquee requiring a ladder or milk crate to service...

super6.JPG

I started this a couple of years ago until I found all the motors were badly worn and had to be replaced. They operate continously when the machine is on- attract mode.

Unable to buy any with the all the right specifications, I bought 10 microwave motors in a package. The original shafts are 4mm, the new ones are 7mm requiring the cam plate to be bored. There is still just enough thickness.
    EM score motors wanted: nonworking or working
    Sega Sub Roc 3D periscope mech. needed except motors.
    Wanted, Mitsubishi 60" RP (vs 6041) complete TV gun assembly. (R Proj TV/monitors and parts taken away).
    Take Five pinball machine PCB wanted.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

The cam plates have been drilled. The hole in the shaft lines up with the one through the sleeve.

motor2.JPG

motor3.JPG

motor4.JPG

motor5.JPG

The relay unit. Bear in mind this is all 240V. Perhaps the unit is up in the head for safety reasons.

motor6.JPG
    Wanted, Mitsubishi 60" RP (vs 6041) complete TV gun assembly. (R Proj TV/monitors and parts taken away).

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

For random target operation, the targets are wired in series to this spinner. When all the targets are in home position, this spinner spins pulsing the targets until one eventually moves off home position. The target opens the circuit to the other targets and spinner until it homes.
    The original motors were onedirectional, the new motors are randomly bidirectional. If the motor starts backwards, the cam plate travels backwards until it hits the backof the microswitch blade then reverses. This means the target appears twice.
    Doesn't really affect gameplay other than occasionally the target appears twice in a row.

sup1.JPG

The sound unit has had a few mods, caps added, component leads cut. It was faulty with blown o/p stage and speaker. Replaced the O/P transistor and driver, now ok.
    The white noise generator failed while testing. Transistor ME4102 was faulty. Not easy to find , I will try a 2SC3329, when it arrives.
    It has a really loud 50Hz hum isolated to its own P/S.
    P/S is basic halfwave rectified. Tried adding caps (not the caps in pic1, they are trigger timers) but not making much difference. Replacing diode made some difference.
    I was thinking of fitting a regulated supply but that takes away fron originality.
    Perhaps the hum adds some 'ambience'.

sup2.JPG

sup5.JPG

The cabinet is made from strips of light pine sandwiched between thin ply. It is lighter than plywood.
    The damaged ply peels off easily making this reasonably easy to repair.

sup6.JPG

sup7.JPG
    Last edited by arcadus; 20th June 2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: ummm

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)

Reclad the easy bit, the back and top.

sup com back.jpg

Spent some time tracing the artwork. The green blob is a tank..still haven't worked that out properly.

sca1.jpg

sca2.jpg

acc.jpg

Might take a break from this for a little while. It's freezing in the shed . I could warm up over a couple of W.G. monitors sitting in the workshop.

State
    Redlands
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1937 Post(s)
    Fantastic work. Keep the updates coming!

State
    western australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    love it how it has actual g.i. joes in it, e-m games are my fav, love to see more.

State
    victoria
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    276 Post(s)
    Great job keep up the great work

Thread Information