Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 32 - Game 1 ~ Space Invaders Part II (closes 18-Jun)

36 players - someone less lazy than me can probably tell everyone if this is a record number of players for a single game in an MGL? Be pretty close if it isn't. Hazard a guess a better game like Bump 'n' Jump would have cracked 50 players ;)

The record number of gamers for a single MGL game was Game 2 in MGLXXIX with 38 players. The game was Bubble Bobble.

The second highest number of gamers for a single MGL was in several other recent MGLs, including this one, with 36 gamers. Game 1 - Space Invaders Part II and Game 2 - Rainbow Islands both had 36 gamers ... :rolleyes

We last played Bump n Jump in MGLXXVIII and 30 gamers drove like maniacs over the speed limit. No tickets were issued. The body shop was full.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wait - so can somebody explain to me what the shotgun technique is?

When the invaders are on the bottom row - the one immediately prior to landing and thus ending your game - they don't fire. This means you can move under them safely at will.

So you shoot a layout that has an invader on the top row at the outside column. Then shoot out an entire adjacent column and leave the remainder in block formation. Play around in the column gap, counting if your can to maximise UFO values. Then when the invaders hit the bottom row you swiftly move along under them plucking off the bottom row in safety and wait for them to drop downm the row and repeat. If you get it wrong it's game over as landing ends the game. You can also loose a ship as the row above the bottom row still fires as soon as you kill the bottom invader. You need good timing to achieve success.

In this version of SI the UFO spits out extra aliens and adds them to the top row to disrupt this technique - I'd guess it was a response to gamers having long game times and the technique becoming widely known bitd on the original game.

The record number of gamers for a single MGL game was Game 2 in MGLXXIX with 38 players. The game was Bubble Bobble.

The second highest number of gamers for a single MGL was in several other recent MGLs, including this one, with 36 gamers. Game 1 - Space Invaders Part II and Game 2 - Rainbow Islands both had 36 gamers ... :rolleyes

We last played Bump n Jump in MGLXXVIII and 30 gamers drove like maniacs over the speed limit. No tickets were issued. The body shop was full.

Thanks for the count and statistics OOO - always good to see the OCD types using facts and figures in calm rational completely reasoned ways to support what they say.

I had a drunken play of my favourite SI clone last night Space War - Sanritsu and as I was playing I noticed that there were enemy bullets falling from the right hand side of the screen where there were no invaders, then suddenly I heard the free ship sound and was awarded two free ships (but no extra score) and some invaders appeared which doesn't usually happen in this game. The ones that appeared are the top single one on the left and the two low ones on the left, the lower ones were stationary (frozen) and I could not shoot them, they reacted like a barrier does and I just shot away a bit of them as you would when shooting a barrier. This is cool I thought, but it was short lived as it only lasted about 30 seconds then some invaders which had been many lines up suddenly were at the bottom and I was invaded game over. I took a quick shot with my phone when it first happened (before they invaded me) pity I wasn't recording it but as I use Groovymame which is not accepted by TG I don't bother recording anything.

http://i.imgur.com/DpBJ3uoh.jpg