Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

T 2 Solenoid fuse keeps blowing

richyrich

Question

I had a similar issue with a T2 in November where the transistor for the plunger solenoid was fried resulting in the plunger solenoid locking on as soon as the machine was switched on (until the fuse went pop) but once the transistor and pre-driver for the solenoid was replaced all back to normal again.

To help will need a little more info....

Which fuse?

Are any of the solenoids hot or engaged when the fuse blows?

I had a similar issue with a T2 in November where the transistor for the plunger solenoid was fried resulting in the plunger solenoid locking on as soon as the machine was switched on (until the fuse went pop) but once the transistor and pre-driver for the solenoid was replaced all back to normal again.

To help will need a little more info....

Which fuse?

Are any of the solenoids hot or engaged when the fuse blows?

Hi, its F 103 so pop bumpers,{ lights are fine} top outhole kicker and the plunger {gun}

The cannon still fires from the gun trigger, however, it will not shoot ball onto playfield>

I did pull all the ball eject area out and clean it as it was filthy.

I assume it is something to do with that.??

Does this look correct?

It blows as soon as you turn on228.thumb.jpg.d53acfdcaaf79374e7535c9e08eceb96.jpg227.thumb.jpg.5cec2c2f930f2c3ea50db6383ebc92f6.jpg

Edited by richyrich
adding pic

Check for a short between the lugs on the shooter coil & the bracket itself.

Often, a stray winding can rub on the bracket & blow the fuse.

Seen it many times & it catches people out, because the fuse only blows when the playfield is down (WTF?!) :confused:

(Apron touches the bracket, but is only earthed when in contact with the lock-down assembly.)

thanks guys, have narrowed it down to only blowing when apron is put back on, cant see anywhere obvious .

It plays fine when it doesnt have the apron attached.:unsure

- - - Updated - - -

Check for a short between the lugs on the shooter coil & the bracket itself.

Often, a stray winding can rub on the bracket & blow the fuse.

Seen it many times & it catches people out, because the fuse only blows when the playfield is down (WTF?!) :confused:

(Apron touches the bracket, but is only earthed when in contact with the lock-down assembly.)

Thanks Sparky

Nothing obvious with the shooter coil that I can see

would a photo help?

Look on the underside of the apron for a small burn or scorch mark, this will indicate where the short is. Also check that the apron screws are not too long.

Removed the screws and the metal bracket, still blows.

No scorch marks.

The lock nut on apron looks like it touches the metal ball guide .

Would this do it??

Can you post some photos of the area without the apron on. Also check the ball eject coil for short or bad coil diode.

The bottom screw on the coil that fires the gun, was loose and the area looks dis coloured.

Could this cause a short?

The apron is back on, but I removed the black cover plate above the gun coil.

It didnt seem to be touching anything, now it is not blowing?

I havent attached the chrome metal bracket either.

014.thumb.jpg.a1ce59ea9a5ab86b80b3b85afd6b6e80.jpg015.thumb.jpg.5453883a4e080c960283e4bd98be1b09.jpg001.thumb.jpg.5df76fec0aff6feef26f0903daa70d4d.jpg002.thumb.jpg.77366cc3783e6f964a5df051e7980027.jpg003.thumb.jpg.55252bda9029d2ad608fc7e2423e770c.jpg

Remove the coils & check that there isn't any wire poking out the side of the wrapper.

If there is, it will rub on the bracket & short out due to the insulation being laquer that is only 1000th's of an inch thick.

Electrical tape is a quick & dirty fix, but re-terminating the wire will be the best solution. :)

T 2 Solenoid fuse keeps blowing

One thing. Is the shooter lane coil missing the sleeve. Probably nothing to do with your problem but can't see it in your pics.

Edit. Had a better look and see it's a black one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Boof Head
Think I need glasses. 🤓

I remember I had this problem ages ago with my T2. The problem was I removed some tape from the ball ejector. I am not at home until later I will pop the hood and have a look what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Here is an example of what Sparky is talking about. Similar issue, fuse blowing, wasn't until I tried to remove the coil and found it welded to the bracket!!

c926ce61d6d4053afbc3fb303467c85b.jpg590fd1f690fdfc63608fd1b6de287b27.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting that. :) Unfortunately, I've neglected to take pics whenever I've had to fix this issue before.

I'm documenting this stuff a lot more these days.;)

Great news,

I finally think its fixed.

I removed all the ball eject area, checked coils to make sure no stray wires.Thanks, great tip.

When I was putting everything back together, I noticed one thin wire in a bunch ,bound with a cable tie was worn.

It must have been brushing against the bottom plate of the ball eject area, every so often, then shorted.

It was on the outside of the bunch,if it was on the inside it probably never would have occurred.

So a quick fix as mentioned, some electrical tape around the individual wire and then around the bunch.

Problem solved.

Thanks to all who helped and appreciate it.

Great news, and a new skills learned too! :)

exactly,I was sooooo close to putting it in the car and taking it to an expert.{ down to Melb}

Much more satisfying this way and like you say, the things you learn along the way