Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: A guide to connecting your Windows PC to an SD CRT TV, PVM or Arcade Monitor

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)

Ok thanks. I'll try that and see how I go.

What about the desktop? Can I rotate that in Windows and not screw anything up?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mR_CaESaR View Post
    What about the desktop? Can I rotate that in Windows and not screw anything up?
    When you need to, yes. Otherwise, for the aforementioned rotation method to work in GM, no, you can't leave it that way. If you really need to have a potrait-orientation desktop, then you play with the steps above. So you, 1. tell VMM your monitor is vertical and 2. non-rotating (physically/desktop) then 3. install all your resolutions backwards (so, 240x2560 like that) and then 4. tell GM your monitor orientation is vertical. Or something like that, some combination of using/reversing those four options. I never had to figure it out, sorry.

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)
    Thanks..

I'll try a few things and see how I go.

I don't really need to have a rotated desktop as long as the front end is usable.

I'll keep trying.

State
    Sydney, AUS
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    117 Post(s)
    It seems like everything is working as expected!

What I did was deleted the mame.ini and setup a new VMMaker ini file.

Set VMMaker to 15khz generic horizontal, modelines from the super modes, set the groovymame exe location (didn't check the export settings to groovymame).

Generate modes and then installed.

I then generate a new mame.ini file and changed the orientation flag to vertical.

Finally, I rotated the desktop in Windows.

So here's the rotated desktop (although, I can't get the display lower than 640x480i)

Attract mode in vertical mode...

Scrolling through games... (obviously need to get art fixed up..)

Loading up a game.. And it shows 2560 x 240p as the switch res value.

ESP Ra De in 240p goodness!

And the reason I switched up from a pi setup... get some Naomi shmups in the setup!

Now that this is all working, I'll fix up the colours, the size of the screen and the curvature.

Happy days!

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)

Nice. I'm a fan of that AM layout, using it myself on my vertical setup

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)

crt_emudriver beta15 is out! Support now goes up to Radeon RX Vega series cards, down through the RX 500, RX 400 right on down to where it used to.

Important to note that a lot of newer cards don't have analog output. I think conversion from HDMI might be recommended, though i'm not sure about DVI-D or DP. And there are dotclock limitations again on newer cards :/

Calamity says:
    There's a serious limitation however with regards to the dotclocks these cards can support through HDMI. The minimum seems to be around 18 MHz, which not only prevents using low resolutions but even the usual 4:3 desktop modes like 640x480i. Super resolutions work nicely though, so they're perfectly usable for GroovyMAME.
    I'd say cards up to the R7/9 300 series are still going to be easier to work with, though Atom15 compatibility might be an issue there as well.

Some more really interesting info in the thread where calamity announced the driver release, on how messed up things are getting with newer cards.
    Last edited by buttersoft; 5th February 2019 at 05:51 AM.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)
    Interesting that no one has mentioned combining H and V from syncs from VGA with 1K resistors twisted together to get an attenuated composite sync signal to feed TV. It might sound quick and dirty but it works. Bugger buying an an adapter.

If you are using csync and want it to go to a TV's AV port (or scart), a single 1K resistor should do the trick.

These resistors coupled with the 75R in the TV set form a voltage divider, the maths says 5V * 75/ (1000 + 75) = 0.35V
    Last edited by MarkOZLAD; 31st May 2019 at 01:00 PM.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    468 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOZLAD View Post
    Interesting that no one has mentioned combining H and V from syncs from VGA with 1K resistors twisted together to get an attenuated composite sync signal to feed TV.
    Lol, it's in the section on cabling in the third post, and it's always been there As have the notes about adjusting it to see how different resistance values will affect interlace flicker with different consoles on different TV's.

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    269 Post(s)
    Sorry bud I missed that

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information