Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Stern Galaxy issues

lenoz

Question

When one of the pop bumpers is activated the static table lights went out and that fuse wire between the power rectifier & transformer (glowing red and melted) - would this be the pop bumper at fault or something else causing this, I disconnected the offending coil and replaced fuse but when machine turned on it just keeps blowing this ?

TIA ;)

2017-01-26 06.20.04 (Large).jpg

6 answers to this question

When one of the pop bumpers is activated the static table lights went out and that fuse wire between the power rectifier & transformer (glowing red and melted) - would this be the pop bumper at fault or something else causing this, I disconnected the offending coil and replaced fuse but when machine turned on it just keeps blowing this ?

TIA ;)

Isn't that the socket for the GI relay???

Why is there a wire poking into it?

It was there when I purchased this - was figuring this is how it was back in the day, somebody else has also alerted me of this on another forum Boots, any idea where I can get relay for this and what type thanks ?

It was there when I purchased this - was figuring this is how it was back in the day, somebody else has also alerted me of this on another forum Boots, any idea where I can get relay for this and what type thanks ?

I reckon its a standard 48V relay just for switching off the GI at times.

Maybe a Galaxy owner can confirm the exact type.

You can also work it out by chasing the wiring and looking at the schematics

Yes, the relay is the same as the 'flipper enable' relay on the Solenoid Driver Board. I am sure Great Plains Electronics carries it. It needs the big prongs and the holder, as the old holder will be buggered. This relay turns the General Illumination on and off at various points of the game. Someone has bypassed this relay with the wire that is melting. This indicates a short in the GI string which can be hard to locate. As a first place to look, try looking at he pop bumper light that appeared to originally cause the fault.

GI shorts can be hard to track down! Also, I would have thought the GI fuse should go before the wire melts, so check whether it has the right value fuse in place.

Thanks for replies guys - had a close look today and what appeared to be the cause was a illumination wire come adrift on pop bumper and touching pop bumper structure, after soldiering this back in to place I started machine again and all seemed to be fine until I knocked down one of the drop targets then the table lights went out again (at this stage I am still using the wire in socket as a good guide when to shut machine off), this is being done with playfield up, done plenty of checking but hard to see anything else wrong causing this - put when playfield down and all is good, played several games without any issues, so still trying to diagnose.

All fixed now people, thanks for you contributions - I installed a new 48v Bally relay where it was intended to go along with new socket (the old one was u/s) - all lighting etc works the way it was intended to now