Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Alphanumeric Display on a PIN2DMD Display

Dazzatron

Question

I'm currently in the research stages of my Virtual Pinball Cabinet and leaning towards getting a PIN2DMD Display rather than a 3rd screen and was wondering what an Alphanumeric Display game such as Back to the Future or Dr. Dude scores look like on a PIN2DMD screen.

I know what they will come up like on a standard screen and just wanting to know if it makes it hard to read based on the way the display is made up compared to a Standard screen.

8 answers to this question

I'm currently in the research stages of my Virtual Pinball Cabinet and leaning towards getting a PIN2DMD Display rather than a 3rd screen and was wondering what an Alphanumeric Display game such as Back to the Future or Dr. Dude scores look like on a PIN2DMD screen.

I know what they will come up like on a standard screen and just wanting to know if it makes it hard to read based on the way the display is made up compared to a Standard screen.

No decision to make:

IMG_0996.thumb.jpg.3ad0bd8aa0454b7f39084a0f45019140.jpg

I've got a Pin2DMD in my vpin and they are brilliant.

You can turn off the alphanumeric display if you like for the SS era games and display it just on the backglass, or have both.

the colour roms for Sterns etc also look fantastic.

edit: also very easy to set whatever colour you want on a per/table basis to suit the theme

Edited by Jed

I have spent the day reading up on forums and watching Youtube videos on how to config them and watching how they look on different games and that and the couple of comments here think I will definitely be going for the PIN2DMD Display.

The PIN2DMD is a great addition and the Alphanumerics come up OK but I personally prefer them on the back glass due to the formatting of the back glass. The Animated DMD screens however look amazing on the proper dot matrix layout.

@OzStick has been a great help for my build and the PIN2DMD unit he sells is great straight out of the box

Is it possible to change the 'font' on the PIN2DMD so that it is closer to how alphanumeric is displayed on backglass?

I'm going though all my tables now setting up my PIN2DMD and find the layout of the backglass displays makes a big difference if I use the PIN2DMD or just the backglass. If the alphanumeric is at the bottom (eg BK2K) then go with PIN2DMD but if display is in the middle (BTTF) then use backglass.

Is it possible to change the 'font' on the PIN2DMD so that it is closer to how alphanumeric is displayed on backglass?

I'm going though all my tables now setting up my PIN2DMD and find the layout of the backglass displays makes a big difference if I use the PIN2DMD or just the backglass. If the alphanumeric is at the bottom (eg BK2K) then go with PIN2DMD but if display is in the middle (BTTF) then use backglass.

It's all down to VPinMAME as to how it presents its data, all Pin2DMD unit (or a monitor for that matter) does is output the data that has been fed to it.