Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

North Qld Tropical Winter Pinball Carnival 9th and 10th June (Townsville)

Hi All,

@AlexMc and myself are looking to run a combined series of events over a couple of days in Townsville and would love it if any southern members would like to join us and enjoy a break from your cold winter and see why the tropics are so good to live in!

At this stage we have a tentative (but very likely) plan of the following:

Fri 9th June and Sat 10th June

Fri night 6-9pm Flip Frenzy at Alex's place (West End Townsville)

Sat 9am-approx 3pm Alligator Creek Open at my place (just south of Townsville)

Sat 6pm onwards, West End Wizards at Alex's place

Qualifying for West End Wizards can be either Friday night (better for locals), or Saturday up to 6pm (to cater for those that might fly in)

Details of the comps below

Other considerations - For those who might fly in - i will tag a few that have previously expressed interest @chopchop @Replay @Dicky @pingun @ctucker @blown36 please tag any others that might be keen.

Alex's place is only a couple of minutes from the airport, so Alex and I can ferry people from airport to his place, and to my place for the Saturday comp if people don't want to grab a car or taxi

Alex can also offer some accommodation for those travelling, contact him for info, but essentially you would be camping in the shed (with the pinballs), he may also be able to bring his caravan in which would be some more bedding. Otherwise, the Mercure Inn is also very close of Alex's place, or there are plenty of options along the Strand (waterfront)

I will organise a BBQ lunch for Saturday, and we can work out something for dinner on Sat night

Machines:

Alex's place

Fishtales

Ghostbusters Pro

ACDC LE

STTNG

Kiss (Bally)

Fireball Classic

Meteor

Motordome

Spy Hunter

Sinbad

Theatre of Magic

Judge Dredd

Twilight Zone

Dirty Harry

Jackpot

My Place

Spiderman

Shadow

Sinbad

Paragon

Medieval Madness

Xmen LE

ACDC Premium

CFTBL

Monster Bash

Who Dunnit

Possibly Jungle Queen

West End Flip Frenzy (Alex’s place)

Entry - $10

Prize Split

1st $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $25. 1st – 4th will also receive a trophy.

Fri 9th June

Start 7pm, Finish 10pm

All players are entered into a random draw, with 2 players drawn to play each available machine. First name chosen is the player 1. The rest of the players are placed in one central queue.

When a game is completed:

- The loser stays on the same machine, unless he has lost twice in a row, in which case the winner stays on.

- The player leaving the machine moves to the back of the queue.

- The player staying on the machine plays in the same position (P1/P2) as he played in the previous game.

- The player at the front of the queue moves up to play the player staying on.

At the end of the 3 hours, no more games may start. The winner is the player with the most games won. Ties are broken by fewest losses.

West End Wizards (Alex’s Place)

Entry $10

1st $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $25. 1st – 4th will also receive a trophy.

No practice prior to qualifying.

Qualifying as a single player game from 1pm on Friday 9th June, until 6:45pm, or after 10pm Fri 9th June (to allow for flip frenzy) , or after Alligator Creek Open, between around 3pm to 6pm Sat night 10th June.

Qualifying - each player plays 12 machines, with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there using the scoring system where 1st position gets 100 points, 2nd 97, 3rd 95, 4th 94 and decreasing by 1 point from there.

The top 16 qualifiers will play off in a quarter final which will be a best of 3 games.

The quarter finals will start at 6pm Sat 10th June at Alex’s place

Top 16 will be allocated into 4 groups as follows:

Group A: 1,8,9,16

Group B: 2,7,10,15

Group C: 3,6,11,14

Group D: 4,5,12,13

The top 8 will progress to a semi final - top 2 from each group of 4 in quarter final as follows:

Semi Final – Best of 3 machines in this round (Based on positions in previous round)

Group E: A1, B2, C2, D1

Group F: A2, B1, C1,D2

The top 4 (top 2 out of each group in semi final) will progress to the Final – 3 machines in this round

Final 4: E1, E2, F1, F2

All matched for the 3 rounds of the finals will be scored using the 7,5,3,1 system – ie: 7 points for 1st in a group, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd and 1 point for 4th position.

Ties for any cutoff positions (ie: progressing from round 1 to 2, or 2 to 3) will be decided on a head to head match on the shortest playing machine available. Ties for positions in the top 4 will be decided in the same manner.

Alligator Creek Open – Sat 10th June (Rob’s Place)

Entry $20

1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $50. 1st – 4th will receive a trophy

Start 8:45am - No practice games once competition has started

Round 1:

4 player games on 3 machines.

Players grouped randomly

IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th)

Round 2:

4 player games on 3 machines

Players grouped based on Round 1 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 3:

Players grouped based on Round 2 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 4:

Players grouped based on Round 3 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 5:

Players grouped based on Round 4 seeding (tiered Swiss)

After Round 5, top 8 progress to the semi-finals

Semi Final:

4 player games on 3 machines randomly selected

2 groups of 4 based on seeding 1,4,5,8 and 2,3,6,7

IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th) - the top 2 from each group will progress to the Final

Final:

In the event of any round having a tied ranking for the final or to make the cut for a qualifying round, those players who are tied will play a multiplayer tiebreaker game on a single machine randomly drawn.

Single Ball of Death Side Comp - Sat 10th June (Rob’s Place)

Entry $5

1st $80 2nd $40 3rd $20 4th $5, Last $5

This is just intended as a bit of a fun event, and will have a reasonable degree of luck involved. These games can be played between rounds, or if a machine is free during a round (you need to ensure there are no groups waiting to play it). Need to play in groups of at least 2, to record scores.

Qualifying:

Will be conducted on 3 machines: Sinbad, Paragon and a 3rd to be determined

You must plunge the first 2 balls, and NO FLIPPER hits are allowed before or during the ball is in play. Nudging is permitted. If a player accidently touches the flippers once during either of the first 2 balls, their score will be recorded as whatever the score is after draining that ball. If the flippers are touched more than once in the first two balls, they will have a score of 0 recorded for that game.

The 3rd ball can be played as normal

Scores will be recorded for each player with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there using the scoring system where 1st position gets 100 points, 2nd 97, 3rd 95, 4th 94 and decreasing by 1 point from there.

The top 4 ranked scores will play a best of 3 (on the same 3 machines), under the same rules (ie: first 2 balls plunged, no flippers), 3rd ball played as per normal.

Scoring will be IFPA 7,5,3,1 for the finals component.

@AlexMc will chip in with any more info, or if those who are keen but have questions (or suggestions for comp formats), please let us know.

If you are keen, can you let us know in the thread so we get an idea of numbers, and can confirm details. We prob don't want more than 40, and preference will be given to those who are travelling and/or express interest early. There will be quite a few locals keen to attend, but wanted to open it up first to forum members who we have had the pleasure of meeting at various comps and events over the last few years.

Thanks

Alex and Rob

Edited by robm

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooooh.

I'm interested, but will have to see what work is doing round then. Won't know until closer to the date, but I've added it to my calendar in hopeful anticipation.

Awesome. Be great to have here mate. Can accommodate you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Hi All,

@AlexMc and myself are looking to run a combined series of events over a couple of days in Townsville and would love it if any southern members would like to join us and enjoy a break from your cold winter and see why the tropics are so good to live in!

At this stage we have a tentative (but very likely) plan of the following:

Fri 9th June and Sat 10th June

Fri night 6-9pm Flip Frenzy at Alex's place (West End Townsville)

Sat 9am-approx 3pm Alligator Creek Open at my place (just south of Townsville)

Sat 6pm onwards, West End Wizards at Alex's place

Qualifying for West End Wizards can be either Friday night (better for locals), or Saturday up to 6pm (to cater for those that might fly in)

Details of the comps below

Other considerations - For those who might fly in - i will tag a few that have previously expressed interest @chopchop @Replay @Dicky @pingun @ctucker @blown36 please tag any others that might be keen.

Alex's place is only a couple of minutes from the airport, so Alex and I can ferry people from airport to his place, and to my place for the Saturday comp if people don't want to grab a car or taxi

Alex can also offer some accommodation for those travelling, contact him for info, but essentially you would be camping in the shed (with the pinballs), he may also be able to bring his caravan in which would be some more bedding. Otherwise, the Mercure Inn is also very close of Alex's place, or there are plenty of options along the Strand (waterfront)

I will organise a BBQ lunch for Saturday, and we can work out something for dinner on Sat night

Machines:

Alex's place

Fishtales

Ghostbusters Pro

ACDC LE

STTNG

Kiss (Bally)

Fireball Classic

Meteor

Motordome

Spy Hunter

Sinbad

Theatre of Magic

Judge Dredd

Twilight Zone

Dirty Harry

Jackpot

My Place

Spiderman

Shadow

Sinbad

Paragon

Medieval Madness

Xmen LE

ACDC Premium

CFTBL

Monster Bash

Who Dunnit

Possibly Jungle Queen

Comp details

Thinking entry fee around $10 per event

Fri night flip frenzy - most people know what these are, details will be updated once confirmed

Alligator Creek Open: 1st - 50%, 2nd - 20%, 3rd - 10%

20% to go towards maintenance, lunch, trophy's etc etc

Round 1:

Players grouped randomly

Round 2:

Players grouped based on Round 1 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 3:

Players grouped based on Round 2 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 4:

Players grouped based on Round 3 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 5:

Players grouped based on Round 4 seeding (tiered Swiss)

After Round 5, top 8 or 50% (whichever is lesser) progress to the semi-finals

Semi Final:

4 player games on 3 machines (each group will play the same mix of 3 machines).

IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th) - the top 2 from each group will progress to the Final

Final:

In the event of any round having a tied rankings for the final or to make the cut for a qualifying round, those players who are

tied will play a multiplayer tiebreaker game on a single machine randomly drawn.

West End Wizards

Qualifying from 5pm on Friday night, or after Alligator Creek Open, up to around 6pm Sat night

Qualifying - each player plays 7 machines, with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there (need to sork this one out with Alex)

The top 8 qualifiers will play off in a semi final which will be a combination of DMD and SS machines

Final:

Depending on how numbers are looking, we may have opportunity for a side competition at my place if time permits - this might be something like best score on 3 games, with a top 4 playoff - likely to be on Sinbad, Paragon and either Jungle Queen or CFTBL.

@AlexMc will chip in with any more info, or if those who are keen but have questions (or suggestions for comp formats), please let us know.

If you are keen, can you let us know in the thread so we get an idea of numbers, and can confirm details. We prob don't want more than 40, and preference will be given to those who are travelling and/or express interest early. There will be quite a few locals keen to attend, but wanted to open it up first to forum members who we have had the pleasure of meeting at various comps and events over the last few years.

Thanks

Alex and Rob

Count me in for all please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a quick bump for those who might be thinking about attending.

Flights from Brisbane are only $120 with Jetstar ($98 if you leave early Fri morning).

We will definitely be having the 3 comps listed on the first post, although we might be changing West End Wizards a little to allow more time for qualifying and have the top 16 go through until finals rounds. Details to be confirmed in he next few days. So pretty much it will be straight pinball from Friday arv (Alex's place will be likely open from Midday or so on Friday), Fri night, all day Saturday at my place, then late Sat night at Alex's.

There are quite a few locals keen as well, so looking like we will get a pretty good turn out.

ReplayRob and acejas (on the case) are booked and ready to roll. Really looking forward to it! Special thanks to Alex for having us and for Rob & Alex for putting it on!

Awesome stuff mate. Looking forward to catching up!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sweet. We have around 15 comfirmed so far, with another at least 20 or more locals who will likely come so numbers should be close to 40 which will be awesome.

I'm in Rob, as well as two other pinball player mates Dave and Tony making the trip up to compete and win all the pinball comp prizes on offer. Been playing RFM frantically in preparation for this comp, we figure the other pins as mentioned are pretty easy in comparison to RFM, get good on that and the rest is taken care of, all the shots are made. The Mackay team is going to be there and ready to play....this time....As we won't be drinking as much and rest before the event unlike past events when we had all-nighter bender parties and bombed out next day. We even played pinball during a cyclone in prep so that's dedication!

I think all serious pinball competitors in Aus need to get to this event, it's mandatory, having great winter weather, those who get arthritis in their hands and legs will play so much better and to potential. See you all there and thanks Rob and Alex for putting this on.

I'm in Rob, as well as two other pinball player mates Dave and Tony making the trip up to compete and win all the pinball comp prizes on offer. Been playing RFM frantically in preparation for this comp, we figure the other pins as mentioned are pretty easy in comparison to RFM, get good on that and the rest is taken care of, all the shots are made. The Mackay team is going to be there and ready to play....this time....As we won't be drinking as much and rest before the event unlike past events when we had all-nighter bender parties and bombed out next day. We even played pinball during a cyclone in prep so that's dedication!

I think all serious pinball competitors in Aus need to get to this event, it's mandatory, having great winter weather, those who get arthritis in their hands and legs will play so much better and to potential. See you all there and thanks Rob and Alex for putting this on.

Awesome. Good to see some trash talking started. Tilts will be tight so you Mackay fellas will have no chance!

Trophies have just been ordered. Shed has been rearranged

Starting preparations for this big and hopefully annual event.

I thought all your machines in Mackay got done by Debbie lol

Nuh, all my mates pinny collections got through Debbie totally unscathed which is great news for pinball in Mackay. Will be a storm of great pinball players heading your way up from Mackay soon though. Get prepared. Duck and cover and stock your shelves!

Unfortunately the plane fares are too expensive for me to attend.

Fingers crossed your next bunch of big comps link up nicely with when I'm in Brissy next... Then the plane fares will be less prohibitive.

Hope it all goes well.

Cheers,

G

Hi Guys,

Details of comp formats updated in the first post, some minor tweaking, but the main addition being an extra side comp at my place "The Single Ball of Death" as per below

Single Ball of Death Side Comp - Sat 10th June (Rob’s Place)

Entry $5

1st $80 2nd $40 3rd $20 4th $5, Last $5

This is just intended as a bit of a fun event, and will have a reasonable degree of luck involved. These games can be played between rounds, or if a machine is free during a round (you need to ensure there are no groups waiting to play it). Need to play in groups of at least 2, to record scores.

Qualifying:

Will be conducted on 3 machines: Sinbad, Paragon and a 3rd to be determined

You must plunge the first 2 balls, and NO FLIPPER hits are allowed before or during the ball is in play. Nudging is permitted. If a player accidently touches the flippers once during either of the first 2 balls, their score will be recorded as whatever the score is after draining that ball. If the flippers are touched more than once in the first two balls, they will have a score of 0 recorded for that game.

The 3rd ball can be played as normal

Scores will be recorded for each player with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there using the scoring system where 1st position gets 100 points, 2nd 97, 3rd 95, 4th 94 and decreasing by 1 point from there.

The top 4 ranked scores will play a best of 3 (on the same 3 machines), under the same rules (ie: first 2 balls plunged, no flippers), 3rd ball played as per normal.

Scoring will be IFPA 7,5,3,1 for the finals component.

Please note that in the interests of time, we are not going to have practice games, however, people can turn up from 7:30am at my place on Saturday for a practice. Free play at Alex's will be allowed after everyone has qualified and comps are completed

Got quite a few more interested locally now, so preference will be given to forum members, but you need to let Alex or I know. @KJS

For the people that are coming down for the weekend - would it interest anybody if i threw a comp in on the Sunday?

Likely machines would be:

- The Simpsons Party Pinball

- Pirates of the Carribean

- Elvira and the Party Monsters

- Flintstones

- No Fear

- Junk Yard

- X Files

Possible titles; Baywatch, Fish Tales

If most of your flights are for the Monday and this interests you please reply so i can get something IFPA approved shortly :cool:

Ok Peeps the Trophies have landed and things are starting get real. If your thinking of heading up for the weekend let us know so we can accomodate the numbers.

Look forward to catching up with everyone. Pm me if you need accomodation to be sorted. I already have 8 staying and room is running out so get in quick. Also Jason is keen to put a comp on Sunday for those who want to hang around and experience our great city. 0a8c986321e3f6a94fbec09573de3a8a.jpgcc93a6acf8b308bb994dbeb7ad77a45e.jpg0b6f01e68a7c47331ebb52a542a885ca.jpg8db9e6baad8cb5f5fa5ec6e20e9373fc.jpgc406633e398f547179ee1c562c642918.jpg