Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North Qld Tropical Winter Pinball Carnival 9th and 10th June (Townsville)

State
    Townsville
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    757 Post(s)

North Qld Tropical Winter Pinball Carnival 9th and 10th June (Townsville)

Hi All,

@AlexMc and myself are looking to run a combined series of events over a couple of days in Townsville and would love it if any southern members would like to join us and enjoy a break from your cold winter and see why the tropics are so good to live in!

At this stage we have a tentative (but very likely) plan of the following:

Fri 9th June and Sat 10th June

Fri night 6-9pm Flip Frenzy at Alex's place (West End Townsville)
    Sat 9am-approx 3pm Alligator Creek Open at my place (just south of Townsville)
    Sat 6pm onwards, West End Wizards at Alex's place
    Qualifying for West End Wizards can be either Friday night (better for locals), or Saturday up to 6pm (to cater for those that might fly in)

Details of the comps below

Other considerations - For those who might fly in - i will tag a few that have previously expressed interest @chopchop @Replay @Dicky @pingun @ctucker @blown36 please tag any others that might be keen.

Alex's place is only a couple of minutes from the airport, so Alex and I can ferry people from airport to his place, and to my place for the Saturday comp if people don't want to grab a car or taxi

Alex can also offer some accommodation for those travelling, contact him for info, but essentially you would be camping in the shed (with the pinballs), he may also be able to bring his caravan in which would be some more bedding. Otherwise, the Mercure Inn is also very close of Alex's place, or there are plenty of options along the Strand (waterfront)

I will organise a BBQ lunch for Saturday, and we can work out something for dinner on Sat night

Machines:

Alex's place

Fishtales
    Ghostbusters Pro
    ACDC LE
    STTNG
    Kiss (Bally)
    Fireball Classic
    Meteor
    Motordome
    Spy Hunter
    Sinbad
    Theatre of Magic
    Judge Dredd
    Twilight Zone
    Dirty Harry
    Jackpot

My Place

Spiderman
    Shadow
    Sinbad
    Paragon
    Medieval Madness
    Xmen LE
    ACDC Premium
    CFTBL
    Monster Bash
    Who Dunnit
    Possibly Jungle Queen

West End Flip Frenzy (Alex’s place)
    Entry - $10
    Prize Split
    1st $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $25. 1st – 4th will also receive a trophy.
    Fri 9th June

Start 7pm, Finish 10pm

All players are entered into a random draw, with 2 players drawn to play each available machine. First name chosen is the player 1. The rest of the players are placed in one central queue.
    When a game is completed:
    - The loser stays on the same machine, unless he has lost twice in a row, in which case the winner stays on.
    - The player leaving the machine moves to the back of the queue.
    - The player staying on the machine plays in the same position (P1/P2) as he played in the previous game.
    - The player at the front of the queue moves up to play the player staying on.

At the end of the 3 hours, no more games may start. The winner is the player with the most games won. Ties are broken by fewest losses.

West End Wizards (Alex’s Place)
    Entry $10
    1st $100, 2nd $50, 3rd $25. 1st – 4th will also receive a trophy.
    No practice prior to qualifying.
    Qualifying as a single player game from 1pm on Friday 9th June, until 6:45pm, or after 10pm Fri 9th June (to allow for flip frenzy) , or after Alligator Creek Open, between around 3pm to 6pm Sat night 10th June.
    Qualifying - each player plays 12 machines, with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there using the scoring system where 1st position gets 100 points, 2nd 97, 3rd 95, 4th 94 and decreasing by 1 point from there.

The top 16 qualifiers will play off in a quarter final which will be a best of 3 games.
    The quarter finals will start at 6pm Sat 10th June at Alex’s place
    Top 16 will be allocated into 4 groups as follows:
    Group A: 1,8,9,16
    Group B: 2,7,10,15
    Group C: 3,6,11,14
    Group D: 4,5,12,13
    The top 8 will progress to a semi final - top 2 from each group of 4 in quarter final as follows:
    Semi Final – Best of 3 machines in this round (Based on positions in previous round)
    Group E: A1, B2, C2, D1
    Group F: A2, B1, C1,D2
    The top 4 (top 2 out of each group in semi final) will progress to the Final – 3 machines in this round
    Final 4: E1, E2, F1, F2

All matched for the 3 rounds of the finals will be scored using the 7,5,3,1 system – ie: 7 points for 1st in a group, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd and 1 point for 4th position.
    Ties for any cutoff positions (ie: progressing from round 1 to 2, or 2 to 3) will be decided on a head to head match on the shortest playing machine available. Ties for positions in the top 4 will be decided in the same manner.

Alligator Creek Open – Sat 10th June (Rob’s Place)
    Entry $20
    1st $200, 2nd $100, 3rd $50. 1st – 4th will receive a trophy
    Start 8:45am - No practice games once competition has started
    Round 1:
    4 player games on 3 machines.
    Players grouped randomly
    IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th)

Round 2:
    4 player games on 3 machines
    Players grouped based on Round 1 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 3:
    Players grouped based on Round 2 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 4:
    Players grouped based on Round 3 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 5:
    Players grouped based on Round 4 seeding (tiered Swiss)

After Round 5, top 8 progress to the semi-finals
    Semi Final:
    4 player games on 3 machines randomly selected
    2 groups of 4 based on seeding 1,4,5,8 and 2,3,6,7
    IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th) - the top 2 from each group will progress to the Final

Final:

In the event of any round having a tied ranking for the final or to make the cut for a qualifying round, those players who are tied will play a multiplayer tiebreaker game on a single machine randomly drawn.

Single Ball of Death Side Comp - Sat 10th June (Rob’s Place)
    Entry $5
    1st $80 2nd $40 3rd $20 4th $5, Last $5
    This is just intended as a bit of a fun event, and will have a reasonable degree of luck involved. These games can be played between rounds, or if a machine is free during a round (you need to ensure there are no groups waiting to play it). Need to play in groups of at least 2, to record scores.
    Qualifying:
    Will be conducted on 3 machines: Sinbad, Paragon and a 3rd to be determined
    You must plunge the first 2 balls, and NO FLIPPER hits are allowed before or during the ball is in play. Nudging is permitted. If a player accidently touches the flippers once during either of the first 2 balls, their score will be recorded as whatever the score is after draining that ball. If the flippers are touched more than once in the first two balls, they will have a score of 0 recorded for that game.
    The 3rd ball can be played as normal
    Scores will be recorded for each player with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there using the scoring system where 1st position gets 100 points, 2nd 97, 3rd 95, 4th 94 and decreasing by 1 point from there.
    The top 4 ranked scores will play a best of 3 (on the same 3 machines), under the same rules (ie: first 2 balls plunged, no flippers), 3rd ball played as per normal.
    Scoring will be IFPA 7,5,3,1 for the finals component.

@AlexMc will chip in with any more info, or if those who are keen but have questions (or suggestions for comp formats), please let us know.

If you are keen, can you let us know in the thread so we get an idea of numbers, and can confirm details. We prob don't want more than 40, and preference will be given to those who are travelling and/or express interest early. There will be quite a few locals keen to attend, but wanted to open it up first to forum members who we have had the pleasure of meeting at various comps and events over the last few years.

Thanks

Alex and Rob
    Last edited by robm; 29th April 2017 at 04:21 PM.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Australia
    Emily and I are keen for a return visit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Australia
    Look forward to catching up mate. Hopefully a few southerners can make it up as the the weather will be beautiful and cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Switzerland
    Hey Rob and Alex, it's a 'yes please' from me. Yeaaahhhhh!

State
    Townsville
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    757 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roland rat View Post
    Awesome Roland, will be great to catch up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

State
    VIC
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Quoted
    200 Post(s)
    Australia
    Oooooh.

I'm interested, but will have to see what work is doing round then. Won't know until closer to the date, but I've added it to my calendar in hopeful anticipation.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Australia
    Would be great to have you guys and would be more than willing to accommodate you.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by roland rat View Post
    Be great to have you mate.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by timmychap View Post
    Oooooh.

I'm interested, but will have to see what work is doing round then. Won't know until closer to the date, but I've added it to my calendar in hopeful anticipation.
    Awesome. Be great to have here mate. Can accommodate you as well.

State
    Queensland
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Aaland
    Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    Hi All,

@AlexMc and myself are looking to run a combined series of events over a couple of days in Townsville and would love it if any southern members would like to join us and enjoy a break from your cold winter and see why the tropics are so good to live in!

At this stage we have a tentative (but very likely) plan of the following:

Fri 9th June and Sat 10th June

Fri night 6-9pm Flip Frenzy at Alex's place (West End Townsville)
    Sat 9am-approx 3pm Alligator Creek Open at my place (just south of Townsville)
    Sat 6pm onwards, West End Wizards at Alex's place
    Qualifying for West End Wizards can be either Friday night (better for locals), or Saturday up to 6pm (to cater for those that might fly in)

Details of the comps below

Other considerations - For those who might fly in - i will tag a few that have previously expressed interest @chopchop @Replay @Dicky @pingun @ctucker @blown36 please tag any others that might be keen.

Alex's place is only a couple of minutes from the airport, so Alex and I can ferry people from airport to his place, and to my place for the Saturday comp if people don't want to grab a car or taxi

Alex can also offer some accommodation for those travelling, contact him for info, but essentially you would be camping in the shed (with the pinballs), he may also be able to bring his caravan in which would be some more bedding. Otherwise, the Mercure Inn is also very close of Alex's place, or there are plenty of options along the Strand (waterfront)

I will organise a BBQ lunch for Saturday, and we can work out something for dinner on Sat night

Machines:

Alex's place

Fishtales
    Ghostbusters Pro
    ACDC LE
    STTNG
    Kiss (Bally)
    Fireball Classic
    Meteor
    Motordome
    Spy Hunter
    Sinbad
    Theatre of Magic
    Judge Dredd
    Twilight Zone
    Dirty Harry
    Jackpot

My Place

Spiderman
    Shadow
    Sinbad
    Paragon
    Medieval Madness
    Xmen LE
    ACDC Premium
    CFTBL
    Monster Bash
    Who Dunnit
    Possibly Jungle Queen

Comp details
    Thinking entry fee around $10 per event

Fri night flip frenzy - most people know what these are, details will be updated once confirmed

Alligator Creek Open: 1st - 50%, 2nd - 20%, 3rd - 10%

20% to go towards maintenance, lunch, trophy's etc etc

Round 1:
    Players grouped randomly

Round 2:
    Players grouped based on Round 1 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 3:
    Players grouped based on Round 2 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 4:
    Players grouped based on Round 3 seeding (tiered Swiss)

Round 5:
    Players grouped based on Round 4 seeding (tiered Swiss)

After Round 5, top 8 or 50% (whichever is lesser) progress to the semi-finals
    Semi Final:
    4 player games on 3 machines (each group will play the same mix of 3 machines).
    IFPA scoring (7 for 1st, 5 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 1 for 4th) - the top 2 from each group will progress to the Final

Final:

In the event of any round having a tied rankings for the final or to make the cut for a qualifying round, those players who are
    tied will play a multiplayer tiebreaker game on a single machine randomly drawn.

West End Wizards

Qualifying from 5pm on Friday night, or after Alligator Creek Open, up to around 6pm Sat night
    Qualifying - each player plays 7 machines, with scores ranked highest to lowest. Highest score will get 100 points, with decreasing values from there (need to sork this one out with Alex)

The top 8 qualifiers will play off in a semi final which will be a combination of DMD and SS machines

Final:

Depending on how numbers are looking, we may have opportunity for a side competition at my place if time permits - this might be something like best score on 3 games, with a top 4 playoff - likely to be on Sinbad, Paragon and either Jungle Queen or CFTBL.

@AlexMc will chip in with any more info, or if those who are keen but have questions (or suggestions for comp formats), please let us know.

If you are keen, can you let us know in the thread so we get an idea of numbers, and can confirm details. We prob don't want more than 40, and preference will be given to those who are travelling and/or express interest early. There will be quite a few locals keen to attend, but wanted to open it up first to forum members who we have had the pleasure of meeting at various comps and events over the last few years.

Thanks

Alex and Rob
    Count me in for all please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information