Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Rockola 490-1

Cadelle32

Question

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and to jukebox fun, I recently acquired a Rockola 490-1 Supersound 2, it did not work when I got it. After messing with it for a day or two I got it working somewhat, here are the issues I am having with it. 1: When I first plugged it in the jukebox let out a screech that would wake the dead, I removed the plug to the left channel and it now works fine on one side but not the other, how would I fix this. 2:The jukebox plays, however, it wont move the needle arm or put the record back, unless I push the actuator on the microswitch, I have tried switching around the microswitches to no avail, what am I missing, I tried bending the metal but it just bends it right back. Any help would be appreciated

4 answers to this question

Been a while since I have had my head in a Rockola and I don't have one here in the workshop to look at.

But, the amp screeching is usually caused by dry solder joints around the header pins on the circuit boards in the amp. Unplug the jukebox, remove the amp and check all solder joints around the header pins on all circuit boards. There are a number of boards in there from memory.

As for your transfer issue, does it work if the cancel button on the back of the jukebox is pressed?

Cheers

Iain

2:The jukebox plays, however, it wont move the needle arm or put the record back, unless I push the actuator on the microswitch, I have tried switching around the microswitches to no avail, what am I missing, I tried bending the metal but it just bends it right back.

I am having the exact same problem on my machine as well except that my record storage rack also has the issue that it is always on the move unless a record is playing. The previous owner sure chased this problem around and around. I'm sure it's something simple as it usually is on these machines but it eludes me.

On a side note, the +26v light doesn't come on and the PO said he couldn't keep it from blowing.

Ok.. the Rock-Ola 490-1 has a computer with battery

it is hidden between the 2 x PCB's

when it lets go it takes out a lot of components

some times you can have it part working, but not run in full mode..

as for blowing the 26v fuse .... i need to check schematic's

i remember finding many common problems with these models years ago

a lot of it came down to capacitors either going open or short...

Yeah, I think that's what this guy found too and so he replaced every cap... even has spare boards that I'll have to check out. I'm guessing these batteries are replacements as they are soldered to the front and zip tied. I can still use this thing but I've had to remove the front lock so that when a selection is done playing I reach in with one of the wires that I stole from the lock mechanism and I use that to reach in and trip the front switch on the hub. It's a pain and certainly not why I got a jukebox ;-)