Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

100Hz CRT TV good for anything

MarkOZLAD

Question

21 answers to this question

Loewe is great, rgb scart is great, 100Hz widescreen is poo.

Old consoles would still look great on it even with the letterbox bars.

Anyone who has ever had to repair a "Loewe" would not agree that they are "great" - far from it in my experience.

A 100Hz set is never ideal. They'll either upscale or process the image no matter what, and the gear inside a consumer TV to do that is shit. The process also adds lag. That said, if you have it you should try it. And it'll probably be really nice for slightly newer stuff like PS3 or Xbox360.

A 100Hz set is never ideal. They'll either upscale or process the image no matter what, and the gear inside a consumer TV to do that is shit. The process also adds lag. That said, if you have it you should try it. And it'll probably be really nice for slightly newer stuff like PS3 or Xbox360.

Is it possible to send a 100Hz signal to them i.e. Pre process the picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

If you can turn off the 100Hz (some models allow it, but less than half from my experience) then they can act just like a regular TV and be OK for gaming. I've picked up 3 100HZ CRTs in the last few years (1x Loewe, 1x LG, 1x something I can't remember), and only the LG allowed me to turn off 100Hz via a "gaming" option. That LG also does 480p widescreen, so I use it for my Wii and original XBox.

If you can't disable 100Hz, then they're "movie watchers" only. And in that case, I think I'd rather a nice big HD screen with HD content, even if it's crappy LCD.

If you can turn off the 100Hz (some models allow it, but less than half from my experience) then they can act just like a regular TV and be OK for gaming.

If not, then they're "movie watchers" only. And in that case, I think I'd rather a nice big HD screen with HD content, even if it's crappy LCD.

That's what my research was telling me too. Lucky I got it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Anyone who has ever had to repair a "Loewe" would not agree that they are "great" - far from it in my experience.

Loewe made a lot of different models in their time. Their older stuff was a bit more simple.

But yeah, most Loewe stuff you pick up off eBay (especially here in Australia) is later model stuff that's all a bit more custom and weird.

If you can turn off the 100Hz (some models allow it, but less than half from my experience) then they can act just like a regular TV and be OK for gaming. I've picked up 3 100HZ CRTs in the last few years (1x Loewe, 1x LG, 1x something I can't remember), and only the LG allowed me to turn off 100Hz via a "gaming" option. That LG also does 480p widescreen, so I use it for my Wii and original XBox.

If you can't disable 100Hz, then they're "movie watchers" only. And in that case, I think I'd rather a nice big HD screen with HD content, even if it's crappy LCD.

EDTV sets are so rare as to be almost a myth now. And from what I've seen most 100Hz-capable sets would either be running 100Hz or 1080i (or 480p in very rare cases). It was normally an either/or proposition, and both modes would take a 15kHz signal and upscale or process it digitally. Which is not ideal, as we've been saying.

You could take that signal and pre-process it, there are upscalers that will output analog with next to zero lag. Neo-Geo man was talking about it being awesome in another thread, but I'm not sure if he meant for movies or for games.

True, they are rather unreliable but when they are working they produce a great picture for retro gaming. I can't imagine any CRT being pleasurable to repair.

Re 100Hz, I have a Philips 100Hz CRT and it performs wonderfully. Beautiful picture, smooth scrolling, no input lag and no colour bleed. I've read all the horror stories re 100Hz TV's but haven't experienced any of them with this particular set, barring light gun games don't work... Assuming there's a difference between brands maybe?

I think I'll just plug the bastard in and judge it then.

- - - Updated - - -

there are upscalers that will output analog with next to zero lag. Neo-Geo man was talking about it being awesome in another thread, but I'm not sure if he meant for movies or for games.

We talking Open Source Scan Converter or something else? I'm already in line for an OSSC...

The OSSC only outputs DVI-D or HDMI, is that right? If so, you'd need the set to accept one of those formats, and to do so at whatever resolution things are being upscaled to. The OSSC is great, but it's 1080p only, is it?

VGA or DVI-I is analog (DVI-A technically, just don't mistake DVI-D for analog because the plugs can all look the same). Or Component/YPbPr as well. And it'd be kinda the same deal in that you need the set to take whatever format and resolution the scaler is capable of outputting.

You'd probably be looking at more expensive Micomsoft gear, or possibly something covered on Fudoh's Hazardcity.de review site - http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

You'd probably get a better result for cheaper from a nice old Trinitron.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't imagine any CRT being pleasurable to repair.

I'm the opposite :D I'm not very good at it, but I sure enjoy trying ;)

100Hz TVs are a good source of donor tubes for 31KHz (fixed or trisync) arcade chassis. For instance Philips tubes with designations ending in X44 were used by Hantarex for the Polo Star SVGA and trisync monitors and are commonly found in Philips and Loewe 100Hz TVs.

100Hz TVs are a good source of donor tubes for 31KHz (fixed or trisync) arcade chassis. For instance Philips tubes with designations ending in X44 were used by Hantarex for the Polo Star SVGA and trisync monitors and are commonly found in Philips and Loewe 100Hz TVs.

I'd be interested to hear about widescreen, too. Will a 16:9 tube work with a standard 31kHz chassis?

I'd be interested to hear about widescreen, too. Will a 16:9 tube work with a standard 31kHz chassis?

I've never looked much into the 4:3 vs 16:9 thing due to lack of interest for the latter. I've checked the manual of the Intervideo VP, a 15KHz arcade chassis that is used with a wide variety of tubes including a 28" 16:9 tube (W66) and there are no circuit differences compared to the 28" 4:3 version (A66). Everything in the horizontal deflection is the same (HOT, LOPT, B+, caps) so it would seem that a chassis that drives a 4:3 tube can also drive a 16:9 tube of similar size (i.e. tubes with the same deflection angle). I have no time to double check this by checking the schematics of TV chassis made for both standard and widescreen tubes but if this is correct for standard TVs then it should also be for 100Hz TVs. So I'm positive a W66 tube off a 16:9 100Hz TV has good chances to work fine with a 31KHz chassis made to run an A66 tube and probably also a W76 (32") 100Hz TV tube with a 31KHz chassis made for 29" (A68) tubes (there are no W68 tubes). Unless of course there are other things that make them incompatible like single focus vs double focus.

If it's a Q2400/2500 chassis with VGA cut-out on the back, it's perfect for the VGA upgrade.. hit me up if you need to find one ;)

I've placed the item on Gumtree and Facebook marketplace. It is sitting in my friend's garage in Noble Park. I didn't have the room in my car to bring it back to Newcastle anyway, I had another 50/60Hz 68cm Loewe Scart RGB to cart, that was enough.

All yours if you want it, just give me a yell.