Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Netherworld Monthly Arcade Club

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    State
    QLD
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

    Netherworld Monthly Arcade Club

    Hey mates

    Just a note to say we are in the process of putting together a format for a monthly arcade club. I am 100% open to suggestions on how to run this though my bar manager Tyson is super keen to run point on this. Below I will list a rough outline of how a meet will look.

    The club will meet on the the third Saturday of every month from 11am to 2pm starting on the 20th of May. Again open to different day and time if people have a preference. Really hoping to build a great base of players over the remainder of the year and maybe find a couple more world beaters in our midst.

    Format example:
    10am - 5 minute brief on the history of a game, i.e Frogger
    10:05am - 10 minute master class by John73
    10:15 unitl 2pm - A series of speed run and high score challenges across 4-6 games from all eras. Results will be rated and prizes awarded to the top 3

    The feature game will be live streamed to Twitch for the entire day so people can post world record scores. Yeah!!!

    Will update this thread if I come up with any more ideas. Look forward to seeing what you guys think.

    Cheers,Jimmy
    Last edited by Jimmy Nails; 27th April 2017 at 11:14 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    State
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,317
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Sounds great.

    Not exactly sure I'm qualified to be running a masterclass - but as we are absent of Barra, I'll do what I can. Perhaps if the feature game you want to talk about is known well in advance, I can either tell you if I feel qualified or see if we can tee up someone else. e.g. If it was Defender or any modern game, then I am not your man.

    The older games I do know a bit about, but really am not that good compared to the other guys in the MGL. Not sure how often @Mameshane could make it, but he can pretty much school me in most games and might be a better person to give tips on certain games.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    State
    Queensland
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Sounds great.

    Not exactly sure I'm qualified to be running a masterclass - but as we are absent of Barra, I'll do what I can. Perhaps if the feature game you want to talk about is known well in advance, I can either tell you if I feel qualified or see if we can tee up someone else. e.g. If it was Defender or any modern game, then I am not your man.

    The older games I do know a bit about, but really am not that good compared to the other guys in the MGL. Not sure how often @Mameshane could make it, but he can pretty much school me in most games and might be a better person to give tips on certain games.
    Maybe we can get barra to skype in and do some classes

    Im going to try and make it as much as i can. sounds like a lot of fun

    Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    State
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,317
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mameshane View Post
    Maybe we can get barra to skype in and do some classes
    If enough people attend each month, just make everyone chuck an extra $5 in for the competition and we'll fly Barra in and out once a month

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    State
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,317
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Was thinking more about this.

    It could nearly be run using all machines and with the standard 100 down to 1 points system currently used in the MGLs. It would be interesting to run it like this, and because of the limited time (3 hours) - it would mean that all players would need to put scores up on all machines to win which in turn means someone like Shane or Kibbey wouldn't sit on DK for an hour or two because it would mean they wouldn't get scores in for all games.

    So for example, if they attended along with myself, I'm no chance of beating them, I'd be looking at putting up a score that I think would secure me 3rd place and 98 points and then moving on.

    There could be all sorts of tactics going on between people as the tournament goes on and people are lining up for a shot at a particular game to improve before time runs out.

    Only issue with running from 11-2pm is the general public in for 2 hours who might want to jump on a machine. Bit hard to say no you can't play
    @Jimmi Nails - I'll talk more to you about it next time I'm in if you're interested.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    State
    Queensland
    Posts
    860
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    289 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John73 View Post
    Was thinking more about this.

    It could nearly be run using all machines and with the standard 100 down to 1 points system currently used in the MGLs. It would be interesting to run it like this, and because of the limited time (3 hours) - it would mean that all players would need to put scores up on all machines to win which in turn means someone like Shane or Kibbey wouldn't sit on DK for an hour or two because it would mean they wouldn't get scores in for all games.

    So for example, if they attended along with myself, I'm no chance of beating them, I'd be looking at putting up a score that I think would secure me 3rd place and 98 points and then moving on.

    There could be all sorts of tactics going on between people as the tournament goes on and people are lining up for a shot at a particular game to improve before time runs out.

    Only issue with running from 11-2pm is the general public in for 2 hours who might want to jump on a machine. Bit hard to say no you can't play
    @Jimmi Nails - I'll talk more to you about it next time I'm in if you're interested.
    I wss thinking maybe best score within a time frame. 20mins or something per game or less depends how many players etc

    Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    State
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,317
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Multitude of ways it could run, I guess try something and then build on it. It's not like arcade comps are run all the time like Pinball.

    You then also need to make sure there aren't games that have point pressing glitches built into them, and if they do then someone needs to watch people aren't exploiting it.

    It's going to be fun either way, and I'm sure it will get bigger and better each month it is run. Hopefully some of the pinheads come along and get into it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    State
    QLD
    Posts
    512
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    118 Post(s)

    Hey mates

    Just a bump to say that planning for this event is coming along swimmingly. The 6 games used for competition won't be revealed until the day of competition except for our feature game. Our first feature game is going to be Donkey Kong.

    Please make note also that the starting time is now 10am.

    Cheers!!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    State
    Jamboree Heights, Brisbane
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Quoted
    300 Post(s)
    Ill be there for sure
    Looking forward to this
    Beer arcades and pinball
    Nothing better


    Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
    Wanted -

    Williams Blackout Pinball, Moon Patrol Bootleg board and Gottlieb Mad Planets Arcade board set

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    State
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,317
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderzone View Post
    Ill be there for sure
    Looking forward to this
    Beer arcades and pinball
    Nothing better


    Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
    Looking forward to pwning you on some arcade games instead of the pinball that you usually play. So gracious of you to ofter to buy beers for everyone that beats you on an arcade game also


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •