Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sooky Bum who needs safe space

Anyone know anything about this bloke? Brisbane based. Seems to be going around vacuuming up every console and game around, hiding it for months on end in a stash, then building "hype" for backyard sales at insane prices and often nowhere near enough room to cater for folks turning up.

Just wondering if anyone's dealt with him. I can't be stuffed standing around for 30 minutes waiting in line at his hype events, but I'm keen to know if he's a legitimate bloke, or just a knob.

I sold a bulk lot of Sega stuff, he came and bought it so he could resell it. After I met him I swore I would never sell anything to him again. He's the same as every douchenozzle reseller in the console game these days. He boasts about buying stuff cheap and then flipping it for a massive profit. He sells stuff at absolute top dollar, ebay prices and above. I am so sick of him and everyone like him, the resellers are ruining what was once a great hobby.

When you search for games on Gumtree, you see more of his wanted ads than you do actual games. It's so bloody annoying.

I don't really care what people do after I sell them something. Once it's sold it's theirs and they can double or triple their money so be it if they are capable. I understand what your saying but if people are willing to pay is he really ripping them off or we as hobbyists hate the idea of how commercial this hobby has become?

I don't really care what people do after I sell them something. Once it's sold it's theirs and they can double or triple their money so be it if they are capable. I understand what your saying but if people are willing to pay is he really ripping them off or we as hobbyists hate the idea of how commercial this hobby has become?

That's literally what I mean. I hate that what used to be an amazing hobby, is now dominated by people who buy and sell to make money, not to actually collect or play. Brisbane is dominated by 2 very large retro resellers, Sooky and Bum. Bum has only just recently come onto the scene, Sooky has been around for ages. They snaffle up almost everything and then sell it for really inflated prices. It's just so frustrating. I used to love going to the markets on a Sunday and trawling for retro stuff, now there is no point. It's all being sold by them at stupid prices.

Edited by Brad
Having a sook

I'll be frank, every time I ask someone about this guy, I get this answer. No, he's not doing anything wrong, illegal or immoral. IMHO he's just being a dickhead. If being a dickhead was illegal, 80% of the country would be in jail.

Sure, he can do what he likes with stuff he buys. I want to know if anyone here knows him, and whether he's trustworthy and is someone I want to interact with. My gut says no. Feedback from others so far says no.

I sold a bulk lot of Sega stuff, he came and bought it so he could resell it. After I met him I swore I would never sell anything to him again. He's the same as every douchenozzle reseller in the console game these days. He boasts about buying stuff cheap and then flipping it for a massive profit. He sells stuff at absolute top dollar, ebay prices and above. I am so sick of him and everyone like him, the resellers are ruining what was once a great hobby.

When you search for games on Gumtree, you see more of his wanted ads than you do actual games. It's so bloody annoying.

And this is what I'm talking about. His ads are literally everywhere. He's a marketing guy in his day job (clearly not a good one if he needs to flip consoles to make a buck), and his ads stink of marketing BS.

My whinge is it's just noise and bullshit. If he wants to make a dollar, that's his business. But lately I can't take a step in any direction in my hobby without standing in his bullshit, and it's making me pretty tired.

There's plenty of room in the retro gaming scene for commercial sales. In the US there's folks making FPGA clone consoles now, as well as flash carts, hardware mods, and all sorts of cool shit. I love that side of the hobby. It's great to see people building on things in a creative and positive way.

But this idiot is just noise, and isn't doing anything positive. I knew it was just a matter of time until the "user car salesmen" types would infect the hobby. It seems it's hit sleepy old Brisbane finally.

I hope FPGA clone consoles go gangbusters, and this guy buggers off to some other industry to annoy someone else.

I'll be frank, every time I ask someone about this guy, I get this answer. No, he's not doing anything wrong, illegal or immoral. IMHO he's just being a dickhead. If being a dickhead was illegal, 80% of the country would be in jail.

Sure, he can do what he likes with stuff he buys. I want to know if anyone here knows him, and whether he's trustworthy and is someone I want to interact with. My gut says no. Feedback from others so far says no.

And this is what I'm talking about. His ads are literally everywhere. He's a marketing guy in his day job (clearly not a good one if he needs to flip consoles to make a buck), and his ads stink of marketing BS.

My whinge is it's just noise and bullshit. If he wants to make a dollar, that's his business. But lately I can't take a step in any direction in my hobby without standing in his bullshit, and it's making me pretty tired.

There's plenty of room in the retro gaming scene for commercial sales. In the US there's folks making FPGA clone consoles now, as well as flash carts, hardware mods, and all sorts of cool shit. I love that side of the hobby. It's great to see people building on things in a creative and positive way.

But this idiot is just noise, and isn't doing anything positive. I knew it was just a matter of time until the "user car salesmen" types would infect the hobby. It seems it's hit sleepy old Brisbane finally.

I hope FPGA clone consoles go gangbusters, and this guy buggers off to some other industry to annoy someone else.

He always says 'I pay the best prices in Brisbane' which is such a load of bullshit. When he bought my Sega stuff I also had a really nice Donkey Kong II Game and Watch in fantastic shape. I said if he wanted it he could have it for $80, which was very fair based on the condition. He offered me $40, I clearly said no. I then advertised it on GT for $80 and sold it within 10 minutes.

Just looked him up on facebook,

Lol, Is this the guy? this is one of his past profile photo's, same Guy or a different sooky bum ? lol

That's him. I'm not interested in what he looks like or does elsewhere. I've got bodybuilder (as in competitive INBA first place winners) mates, so more power to him if that's his hobby.

I just want to know if I can trust him as a console buyer/seller. So far I don't think so. Waiting for someone to tell me they know him, and he's a good bloke. So far every story is he's a rip off merchant.

Edited by Brad

• 2 months later...

Sooky Bum

There's a guy on the Gold Coast with a massive amount of stuff who has those ads and runs a local market stall. His prices aren't insane but it means that any reasonably priced console items that go on Gumtree are gone by the time you see the ad :(

Likewise you see nothing at garage sales etc

In saying that, if you want it, I can guarantee he has 3 of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Brad

There's a guy on the Gold Coast with a massive amount of stuff who has those ads and runs a local market stall. His prices aren't insane but it means that any reasonably priced console items that go on Gumtree are gone by the time you see the ad :(

Likewise you see nothing at garage sales etc

In saying that, if you want it, I can guarantee he has 3 of it.

Yep, the Carrara Markets bloke. He beat me to a big ass bulk lot of Sega stuff. I had arranged to collect in the afternoon from the seller. Was all pumped to get out there, get the stuff and start testing and cleaning. I got a message from the seller saying that someone else had offered him more than the asking price so he was selling to them, despite me getting cash out, arranging a time to meet and also loading a small TV into my car to test some of the consoles. The very next day I see the Carrara Markets bloke selling the exact same stuff for stupidly inflated prices on Gumtree. What an asshat.

Gumtree is just the wild west of douchebaggery these days. So many shitty sellers and buyers.

The seller is just as bad for reneging on a done deal, guys who buy like this know how it works and will offer over and above to get it :(

Agreed 100%. It happens more and more often. I bought some Astro City cabs cheap recently and said I'll be there this arvo with cash in hand and a trailer to pick them up. He said cool, we arranged a time to meet that was around 3 hours away and I left it at that. Got a call back in 10 minutes saying someone had offered him more and would I match it? I was shitty, but I wanted the cabs, so I matched it and said in no uncertain terms, I WILL BE THERE THIS AFTERNOON, I WILL HAVE CASH AND WE HAVE ARRANGED A SALE.

Thankfully, he stayed true to his word, even though he was being offered more cash by other buyers. I hate the bidding wars that Gumtree causes and sellers encourage.