Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Review of a particular australian arcade maker

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please excuse my post if it is in the wrong location. If it is, could a moderator/administrator please move it to the correct place.

I'm looking to buy a custom arcade from the people at http://www.chaos-foundry.com - they are an Australian based business.

Looking for reviews, or any personal experiences that people may have had with this business before I hand over my hard earned cash.

Regards,

D

They look like pretty basic and fairly ugly machines, I would keep shopping around. If you're going to spend that type of money on a newly built cab, you might be best hitting up a business like Arcadeworx who have a solid reputation for delivering good products.

Are you sure you want to spend this much on a pre-built cab? If you come to sell it, the resale will be less than half of what you paid. Basically, you pay so much for these because they can charge people who don't know how to refurbish an old cabinet. Do you just want something quick and easy with no config at your end? For me, half the fun is getting them to work.

Refurbing an old cab will also cost you about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price and give you something far more genuine. It's worth thinking about if you have the time and are willing to read and learn.

Are you sure you want to spend this much on a pre-built cab? If you come to sell it, the resale will be less than half of what you paid. Basically, you pay so much for these because they can charge people who don't know how to refurbish an old cabinet. Do you just want something quick and easy with no config at your end? For me, half the fun is getting them to work.

Refurbing an old cab will also cost you about 1/3 to 1/2 of the price and give you something far more genuine. It's worth thinking about if you have the time and are willing to read and learn.

I don't really have the time, nor do I have the knowledge, skills, or equipment (or confidence) to set it all up correctly. I understand PCs - I can build one of those, but all the button work etc is above my head

I don't really have the time, nor do I have the knowledge, skills, or equipment (or confidence) to set it all up correctly. I understand PCs - I can build one of those, but all the button work etc is above my head

Fair enough. However, if you understand PCs, wiring up buttons using an ipac is a walk in the park. It seems daunting, but it's not really. If you want a good quality, pre-built arcade machine, Arcadeworx has one of the reputations in the industry. However, it will cost you a pretty penny.

I have put together four of these (Arcadeworx) cabinets for some mates of mine. If you understand PCs and can use a screwdriver then you will have no problem getting your own cabinet up and running.

Even though the cab was pre-cut and I just had to put it together it still gave me a real sense of achievement putting together my own cabinet.

Fair enough. However, if you understand PCs, wiring up buttons using an ipac is a walk in the park. It seems daunting, but it's not really. If you want a good quality, pre-built arcade machine, Arcadeworx has one of the reputations in the industry. However, it will cost you a pretty penny.

If you really don't want to wire up buttons Arcadeworx have a Tankstick cab that you fit a pre-built control panel unit into. The quality and feel of these is fine for the average user. Mine has had a fair flogging over the past couple of years and I have just ordered a better quality joystick and buttons to replace the originals.

I was just quoted $2895 EXC shipping from arcadeworx - very expensive. I just want a standard cab, nothing special.

I am guessing that price would be for a fully completed 4 player cabinet.

The standard 2 player upright kits start at around $500. You've got to do some work yourself but you will save a lot of money.

I am guessing that price would be for a fully completed 4 player cabinet.

The standard 2 player upright kits start at around $500. You've got to do some work yourself but you will save a lot of money.

That was for a 2 player upright cab

That was for a 2 player upright cab

Jesus that's pricey. Almost the price of a pin. Still, they are running a business and their arcades are very well built. However, if you spend that much on an arcade, you will never come close to ever making your money back when/if you decide to sell it.

If all you want is a 2 player upright cab with a multiboard, they can be had secondhand for between $500-$800 and they come up on Gumtree fairly often. There are a number of overpriced second hand ones on Gumtree currently. Might be worth buying secondhand.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/merrimac/other-video-games-consoles/upright-arcade-machine/1141751126

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morningside/other-video-games-consoles/arcade-machine-3000-games/1140220455

For my money, I would never pay that price for a kit built arcade, but that's because I like refurbing old cabs and I am willing to invest the time to do so.

A couple more links for you to think about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mame-Arcade-Machine-/332158759633?hash=item4d563472d1:g:6lMAAOSwsW9Yzjdc

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcade-Machine-/332158748513?hash=item4d56344761:g:Rv0AAOSwWxNYzjMo

Jesus that's pricey. Almost the price of a pin. Still, they are running a business and their arcades are very well built. However, if you spend that much on an arcade, you will never come close to ever making your money back when/if you decide to sell it.

If all you want is a 2 player upright cab with a multiboard, they can be had secondhand for between $500-$800 and they come up on Gumtree fairly often. There are a number of overpriced second hand ones on Gumtree currently. Might be worth buying secondhand.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/merrimac/other-video-games-consoles/upright-arcade-machine/1141751126

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morningside/other-video-games-consoles/arcade-machine-3000-games/1140220455

For my money, I would never pay that price for a kit built arcade, but that's because I like refurbing old cabs and I am willing to invest the time to do so.

A couple more links for you to think about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mame-Arcade-Machine-/332158759633?hash=item4d563472d1:g:6lMAAOSwsW9Yzjdc

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arcade-Machine-/332158748513?hash=item4d56344761:g:Rv0AAOSwWxNYzjMo

That first gumtree one (in merrimac) you linked is mine that I'm sellng. thats actually an arcadeworx kit that i got about 4-5 years ago. the kit itself delievered to queensland was just under $800.. So it may seem expensive but to buy the kit and then build it (the cost of the components is well above the price im asking) if OP is interested or anyone on AA is i would be happy to sell it for cheaper.

I never posted it here because i wanted to try and get as much as i could for it.. and i know to fellow arcade enthusiasts it wouldnt be worth it at that price.

Hope im not hijacking the thread..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

That first gumtree one (in merrimac) you linked is mine that I'm sellng. thats actually an arcadeworx kit that i got about 4-5 years ago. the kit itself delievered to queensland was just under $800.. So it may seem expensive but to buy the kit and then build it (the cost of the components is well above the price im asking) if OP is interested or anyone on AA is i would be happy to sell it for cheaper.

I never posted it here because i wanted to try and get as much as i could for it.. and i know to fellow arcade enthusiasts it wouldnt be worth it at that price.

That's not a thread hijack, it's a good offer to the original poster. As you stated, more than an arcade enthusiast like myself would pay, as I am about original cabs, but well under the price the OP would pay to get a new one.

PM sent :)

• 2 years later...
Do not use this company (Chaos Foundry). They contacted me to confirm purchasing an old machine of mine only to visit and then give me a made up story about how it would be better for them to refurbish the machine. After agreeing to let them refurbish the machine instead, I was told to text them my decision and they would pick up the machine the next day. This was over a month ago and they have not responded to any text messages or emails. The machine has then sat still and I lost another buyer. Since asking around I have now discovered that unfortunately others have had similar experiences with Chaos Foundry and they are to be avoided. A shame as the guy that visited was very convincing. Avoid.

If you contact member @dragonlee he has some sponsor specials on solid second hand stand ups atm. I just bought one for a mate of mine and Bill is picking it up in the next day or two.

I think she'll be happy with it and it was well under a grand with delivery and 2600 games.

Forgot to say, stay away from Arcade Classics, i had a very bad customer service issue with them and the machine i bought new is rickety as buggery.