Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×

Hi Guys,

Is there anyone else here who is interested in the MIST FPGA? (Running the Amiga Core).

I have just got myself an old Grundig CRT (with Scart), Star Cursor and Wico Joysticks.

Looking to re-create the glory days of an accelerated A1200 that I always wanted (but could never afford).

Hopefully my wife picked up the less than subtle hints that I want a MIST for xmas.

Keen to hear if anyone else here has one/used one. (or mini-mig).

kortina.

• Administrators
What are the advantages over UAE?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Single small piece of hardware that you can use new peripherals on. No fuss and software is all set up for you.

I'd love one but $320.00 shipped is that little bit too much for me. I'm still seriously tempted though ;)

Brad

Phil over on OCAU has one, he does retro reviews of hardware and put a video up for the Amiga core at his youtube channel (video below as it embedded itself it seems) it's long at 46 min but his vid's are informative and will no doubt give you a clearer idea of how they perform. He has a few other videos specifically on Mist but for retro computing there's a lot to watch there.

UAE is great for cheap and fast emulation.

For me the big draw card is authenticity.

Specifically, using THE original joysticks, and having a 15khz RGB display (at 50hz).

Using a xbox joypad, on a 60hz LCD with stretching or weird scan lines can only go so far.

No dis-respect to the team who created UAE, it is about picking the right tool for the job.

This is what I planned to do:

Emulate a A1200 (accelerated with more RAM and HDD).

Install ClassicWB, use WHDLoad.

The extra steps are the old CRT display (Grundig 70cm TV with SCART input)

Original Joysticks.

I have tried using WinUAE on my Arcade Cabinet with the CRTEmu drivers. But I just cant get the picture right... also using the arcade sticks is good. But strangely enough I always used the Amiga Joystick with my right hand! So the Arcade Cab feels a bit off.

I cant wait to try and complete: Another World, Flashback. Then take a look at OnEscapee and Heart of the Alien Redux

I'm using a Konix/Epyx speedking, so right hand for that.

Also, regarding picture: does the unit output VGA, or 15kHz, or both? The setup guide all say a VGA monitor is required. And what trouble were you having with the picture on WinUAE? I'll admit it took me a bit of testing to get right. I'd swear at one point I had Lotus running pixel-perfect at 240p, but now it seems I have to use 262p to make sure there's no compression of lines. Essentially I just kept testing new video modes through VMMaker until I found one that worked in WinUAE (720x262@50, I think it is, with all filters and doubling off). I'd love to be able to cut the picture, as in only show the top 240 lines of whatever frame WinUAE is trying to output, remove all the scaling or however it's trying to fit the picture into the frame, but I can't figure out if it's possible.

I'm using a Konix/Epyx speedking, so right hand for that.

Also, regarding picture: does the unit output VGA, or 15kHz, or both?

Looks like both! but you would need this:

http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=168

The setup guide all say a VGA monitor is required. And what trouble were you having with the picture on WinUAE? I'll admit it took me a bit of testing to get right. I'd swear at one point I had Lotus running pixel-perfect at 240p, but now it seems I have to use 262p to make sure there's no compression of lines. Essentially I just kept testing new video modes through VMMaker until I found one that worked in WinUAE (720x262@50, I think it is, with all filters and doubling off). I'd love to be able to cut the picture, as in only show the top 240 lines of whatever frame WinUAE is trying to output, remove all the scaling or however it's trying to fit the picture into the frame, but I can't figure out if it's possible.

I played with a ton of settings, I think I ended up with the right resolution... But I noticed the other night that the framerate was not a smooth as I expected.

It is also a massive PITA to try and configure WinUAE with the CRT_Emu display installed. The GUI is not friendly to 15khz.

Resorted to using VNC with a fake second display.

The cabinet is also less than ideal for many games that use the keyboard (menu selections) or mouse.

I have fond memories of playing a customised version of Worms-DC on my mates A1200. We sampled sound clips from movies and replaced the standard SFX! (not bad as a 16 year old). Best was the shotgun (from Army of Darkness... "This is my boomstick"). ahhahahahaha.

I'm not having any trouble with the framerate, though it might be I haven't noticed yet. I'm doing more configuring than playing atm. I'm going to set up commands in Joytokey for the keyboard inputs, which will be an amount of work. And yes, the GUI can be interesting to work with. I often find it best to rotate and go 576i. It's a project, that's for sure :)

How exactly were you using the VNC setup?

I'm not having any trouble with the framerate, though it might be I haven't noticed yet. I'm doing more configuring than playing atm. I'm going to set up commands in Joytokey for the keyboard inputs, which will be an amount of work. And yes, the GUI can be interesting to work with. I often find it best to rotate and go 576i. It's a project, that's for sure :)

How exactly were you using the VNC setup?

Its been about 6 months since I used it... from memory:

I used the CRT_Emu driver to force the detection of a second monitor (need the v2 beta drivers). (Nothing physically attached)

Set the display resolution to something that will fit on your main PC (eg 1024x768).

Install the VNC server on the Arcade Cab (no pw).

Use your main PC with the VNC client. It connects and you get to see the 640x480 + 1024x768 and they should fit neatly on your 1920x1080 display.