Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Oh what have I done..

Lord-Data

Question

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161204/54e84d21de94df60415472f877cacf67.jpg

Took 3 hors of work to get it out of the place (#%$-#% stairs!) but it was free.

Game board is missing, but it's had an LCD conversion and all the motion stuff actually looks to be in tact.

Going to be a superModel PC conversion at this point I guess, get it running on the screen, get steering and pedals working and that's a pretty good start for the price of a PC. Then work on motion as a separate goal :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 answers to this question

I'm big into the emulators, but don't collect. With that in mind, I can say that Supermodel is getting better and better, search for the SVN500 builds and above on emucr. But you now need a fairly beefy PC to play it. And it doesn't yet have networking, and no one knows how far away we are from that - which may not affect you with a single seat.

Oh what have I done..

If you choose the emulated route the resale (if ever) will have a quater of the pulling power of an original. But the commitment and effort to a restore will reflect the result

I'm big into the emulators, but don't collect. With that in mind, I can say that Supermodel is getting better and better, search for the SVN500 builds and above on emucr. But you now need a fairly beefy PC to play it. And it doesn't yet have networking, and no one knows how far away we are from that - which may not affect you with a single seat.

Yeah I've been reading the last few commits on svn, looks fantastic. Yeah. Single seat and no room to get any more, lol, and it's already got the LCD that can do vga natively, so I think it's a good setup for doing emu. The motion looks like it's possible with superModel, but that's a long way down the road. Looks intact, but no idea if it works or not

Keeping in mind that you want to play at the LCD panel's native res to avoid artifacts... no way are those setups powerful enough. And that's if the CPU's are the top end of what you've listed - there's a fair amount of variation in Core 2 Duos.

I was running a Core 2 Duo E7400 with a Radeon HD 4890, at 640x480 on a stripped-out version of Win 7, and M2emu was great, but Supermodel's latest builds needed a fair bit more grunt. There may have been some optimisation since SVN484 or so. And I'm not actually sure if supermodel uses the GPU's power at all, or just to deliver video. Anyone? If it does, that GPU is far too old.

So I've got an amd64 x2, or a core 2 duo, either of these good enough for superModel, or do I need to go higher?

I've got a gtx 7950 for graphics that should cut it.

Keeping in mind that you want to play at the LCD panel's native res to avoid artifacts... no way are those setups powerful enough. And that's if the CPU's are the top end of what you've listed - there's a fair amount of variation in Core 2 Duos.

I was running a Core 2 Duo E7400 with a Radeon HD 4890, at 640x480 on a stripped-out version of Win 7, and M2emu was great, but Supermodel's latest builds needed a fair bit more grunt. There may have been some optimisation since SVN484 or so. And I'm not actually sure if supermodel uses the GPU's power at all, or just to deliver video. Anyone? If it does, that GPU is far too old.

Reading suggests it does use DirectX, so yeah, graphics card power is used. It's a mod core 2 duo, 2.4ghz I think. Found a forum with a guy running a 3.0 core 2 duo with a higher end amd and running well, but I think I'll shop for a core i3/i5, and see what kind of graphics card I can track down.

Cheers :)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161206/af555969ef2e15f0fb6327ad330ce8f8.jpg

Screen works tho, so that's a bonus! :)

Downloaded the latest from SVN on my PC at work and built it. This is a gen1 core i7, with an AMD 6950, and it is running in 1680x1050 smooth as butter. So I've got a good baseline for CPU there.

I've just bought a cheap AMD 6670 from eBay, which hopefully will cut it. I'll try it on the Core 2 Due first, and if it sucks, I know that gen 1 in the Core i series will do just fine.

Damn doesn't it look nice with the -new3d option!

TBH I haven't run many of the newer builds. What is this -new3d option you speak of and what does it do? Would you have a link to info on the updates like that one?

SuperModel hasn't been updated by its original creator in like 3 years, but since it was open source, the community has picked it up and run with it. There is a BIG difference between the version on their website, and the version on SourceForge. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/model3emu/)

this is updated every couple of days, and has pretty active development.

They made an overhauled 3D engine, that uses DirectX 11 if your system supports it, and is pretty amazing, both in performance and viusal improvements. The emulator doesn't use it by default yet, so you have to add the commandline -new3d option when starting it to switch to it.

-legacy3d Legacy 3D engine [Default]

-new3d New 3D engine by Ian Curtis

Oh I'm aware of the development. I actually thought one of the original devs was in on it still, but not planning on officially releasing until he was happy.

And damn, I'm on a cut-down Win 7 that doesn't seem to support DX10, let alone 11 :(

Anyone know a way to get DX11 without needing to use windows update?

Oh I'm aware of the development. I actually thought one of the original devs was in on it still, but not planning on officially releasing until he was happy.

And damn, I'm on a cut-down Win 7 that doesn't seem to support DX10, let alone 11 :(

Anyone know a way to get DX11 without needing to use windows update?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/179113

There is a manual install for Windows 7 listed here, but no idea how well it actually goes. I don't believe the new engine REQUIRES DX11, just will take advantage of it if its present. I read of people using -new3d on Windows XP, so it must work without it :)