Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 31 - Game 2 ~ Pac-man ~ [FINISHED]

Toru Iwatani eating challenge …

MGL 31 - Game 2 ~ Pac-man

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL31PacmanSettings_zpsvhn0oxwd.png

Nominated by gamers: churgs and Mameshane

ROM WolfMAME 0.106: Either the 'puckman' or 'pacman' ROM is acceptable; no other ROM is allowed.

Game Story:

A yellow, pie-shaped character named Pac-Man runs along inside a maze, eating dots as it avoids four ghosts. Each ghost has its own unique personality and gobbling one of the four super dots makes Pac-Man invincible to the ghosts for a given period of time. Each maze has its own unique bonus fruit or object with bonus points increasing as the game progresses.

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials.

This game finishes Sunday 26 March 2017, 7pm Sydney time Australia.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No cheats allowed.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 2 … Ghostly dangers! …

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/PM_old_artwork_zpsyjovcexg.png

Edited by OOO

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nothing of WolfMAME, are the ROMs different?

From the nominations thread ...

The WolfMAME version 0.106 is highly recommended, however any later version can be used. Only the version 0.106 ROM set will be posted for each game and the equivalent for other MAME versions can be used.

Hope this helps ... :)

From the nominations thread ...

The WolfMAME version 0.106 is highly recommended, however any later version can be used. Only the version 0.106 ROM set will be posted for each game and the equivalent for other MAME versions can be used.

Hope this helps ... :)

I read that but when the OP on this thread said "no other ROM allowed" I misunderstood it.

The first two games in MGL.

Two games that I like and are absolute classics but I absolutely stink at.

I can see OOO telling me to HTFU (in the nicest possible way) and play (which I will) but I've tried to learn both of these games and while I'll do what I can I'll say right now bring on game three.

Let me also admit that there's a fair bit of beer floating around the system right now. :tequila::cheers:

Kicking MGL 31 right off with two of the all-time classics.... is there anyone on earth that doesn't know these games?

I've never played Pac-Man with 5 lives before.. should be interesting..

I first played Pac-Man when I was in about the 3rd grade. There was a small store up the street from my school where as kids we would go to buy the little red swedish fish and jolly rancher candies. To this day, those candies bring me back to that time. This is where the Pac-Man was - which was later replaced with a Ms. Pac-Man when that came out. There were no arcades yet in town, just this one store that sold candy and had a Pac-Man machine. I was to be forever hooked.

As Pac-Man became the phenomenon that it did, I started buying/collecting Pac-Man stickers for 25 cents a pack. There was one sticker that had Pac-Man looking back as if showing his ass that said "Kiss My Pac-Man" (see my avatar)- this interpretation was pretty racy to a bunch of 3rd and 4th graders. I began selling the harder to find stickers for 10 cents each and the "Kiss My Pac-Man" one for 20 cents. I was later called in to the Principal's office and reprimanded for selling these stickers. To this day, I don't think I did anything wrong - I just took advantage of a market opportunity!

On another note - I actually had a Pac-Man bedspread/blanket back in the day... I also still have an original Pac-Man "diary" book.

After all these years, and despite it being such a well known and popular game, I don't recall ever actually playing Pac-Man (that wasn't a clone on a phone)....... Pac-mania, well that's another story, I should have nominated that if I had remembered that game earlier :( ......

Anyway first attempt at the original pac-man..

0000.png.725e2c0c226cc2b983a3bc9d82e15335.png

I first played Pac-Man when I was in about the 3rd grade. There was a small store up the street from my school where as kids we would go to buy the little red swedish fish and jolly rancher candies. To this day, those candies bring me back to that time.

Very nice candies ... how much per pound? ... 990348387_SwedishFish1.jpg.28c6feddf69f98d442c17766967ea0c4.jpg ... and these ... jolly_ranchers.jpg.c5a9a1b13b58d0be93c409217815cb6d.jpg

We had Redskins (not the ones from Washington) in my time, fantales, red and green frogs ... and fruit tingles ... Fantales.png.05555927587468296d266d7e2a5f35a7.png

This is where the Pac-Man was - which was later replaced with a Ms. Pac-Man when that came out. There were no arcades yet in town, just this one store that sold candy and had a Pac-Man machine. I was to be forever hooked.

I visited a mini arcade with about 8 machines on George St in Sydney in the very early 80s, before Orbit 600 and Westworld opened, and there I was looking at these guys playing Galaxian and Crush Roller (yes can you believe it). I heard a strange but addictive police siren sound coming from the right corner of the mini arcade and there it was ... Pac-man ... a very fresh breath of air, as almost every game that came out for a few years was shoot the aliens and so many varieties of that theme ... :headbuttwall:

The ghost colours were terrific, the concept of eating pills seemed great at the time, eating ghosts was terrific and the cute bonus fruits and items (I mean who can forget the cherry) ... the bonus cherry and bell reminded me of the slot machines! And what followed with all the other Pac-man games was great.

As Pac-Man became the phenomenon that it did, I started buying/collecting Pac-Man stickers for 25 cents a pack. There was one sticker that had Pac-Man looking back as if showing his ass that said "Kiss My Pac-Man" (see my avatar)- this interpretation was pretty racy to a bunch of 3rd and 4th graders. I began selling the harder to find stickers for 10 cents each and the "Kiss My Pac-Man" one for 20 cents. I was later called in to the Principal's office and reprimanded for selling these stickers. To this day, I don't think I did anything wrong - I just took advantage of a market opportunity!

Trading in collectibles was common in all schools, just maybe your Principal was jealous and wanted your cards!

KissMyPacMan.jpg.d997d086812720e90919f06bfbf4e07a.jpg

On another note - I actually had a Pac-Man bedspread/blanket back in the day... I also still have an original Pac-Man "diary" book.

I don't have anything of Pac-man from those days, other than the memory of the game eating my coins, but I do have today, Inky sitting on my gaming desktop giving me the thumbs up ... good to see he's on my side for a change!

Anyone else have a tragic Pac-man story?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm ... 198,600 vs 111,190 ... looks like No.2 is no.1 ... for now ... :035:

Anyone else have a tragic Pac-man story?

Technically this wasn't Pacman but close enough.

I was at Tullamarine Airport for some reason during the few years I lived in Melbourne (1979-1982). Played a cocktail Pac clone called Ghostmuncher but I took the name literally and tried to "munch the ghosts." Needless to say it didn't end well. I'm guessing I was about 10 or 11 at the time and to be honest hadn't developed the gaming habit I eventually did

0002.png.10e3dab26aaf823b537901ac1c35434e.png

First time I played Pac-Man would have been probably 1981 - so I would have only been 8 years old. The machine was the one and only cocktail machine in a Tandy Electronics store, was at that time probably set on 20c for one credit and I know it was definitely on 3 starting lives.

Being 8 and on a base wage (pocket money) of $2 a week, I couldn't afford to play it much. So my best friend at the time and his older brother and me use to share games. As soon as you died, you handed over to the next person :lol Used to create some tension when the first player would eat all the power pills, then die and leave a mess for the other two player to try and clean up :D

coleco-tabletop-pac-man-system.jpg.ae322640a3f995b4a033eb2c2898e0e0.jpg

Had one of these when I was a kid. Think I gave it to my friend to try and fix and never saw it again, must ask him about it one day. Probably in land fill now :(

It was cool because the two player was head to head, not one at a time. Being a "Nigel No Friends" I used to play both men at the same time after I got bored playing 1 player - not sure if I ever maxed out the game, think I might of done - no where near as hard as the original from memory.

I've got a soft pac-man toy around somewhere that was my pride and joy who I named Puckery. Not sure where he is, might find him and bring him for good luck to to NW event :)