Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Baywatch Issue - Coils firing instead of Flashers

iEatHands

Question

I had a funny issue start last week on my Baywatch.

I was just going to order a new PPB but thought I'd see if someone could offer some advice before I ordered the new board.

The issue started while I was playing a game.

At the moment none of the flashers are working, and there are 3 Coil circuits 1,2 and 8 (I think these are the ball trough VUK, ball launcher and knocker) which are firing when the flashers are meant to fire. There are also some non-GI lights on the playfield which are staying illuminated.

The other coils work fine in the coil test.

All switches are working perfectly fine.

Would it be worth getting the board serviced? I have a DMM can someone point me to something which might teach me how to use it :huh: and test the board?

14 answers to this question

There are hundreds of "how to" videos on Youtube on multimeter use. I certainly would spend an hour or so watching some of those to get a solid understanding of not so much "how" to use the meter BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY - how to interpret what the meter is telling you.

It could be Q29 or Q21 on the bottom left of the cpu board have blown. I'd check the K1 relay on the ppb board and its diode D22 first for shorts then the transistors Q29 and Q21 on the cpu board.

It might also be the 7408 IC at 2J, pin11. I'm pretty sure it's solenoid driver 10 on this schematic.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/c5796e92dacfc2fc89229983adc07d76.jpg

Working back from there is the 6821 pia at 5F pin11 if all else fails.

Trev

BTW These schematics are from the Phantom of the opera so they may vary.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

iEathands, If you can't work or understand a DMM, how can you expect to do technical PCB repairs! If you have major holes in your knowledge, maybe you need to read up on Basic electronics & Digital electronics before you do damage through ignorance. You should pay a pinball tech and watch him at work or at lest send your board out for repair. Edited by Gemini2544

Thanks for the help guys, looked for some of the simpler things to check with the DMM.

Looks like it is probably as simple as the F7 fuse on the PPB being blown. It didn't look blown but I'm used to car fuses where it is pretty simple to see a blown fuse.

F7= 3a slo-blo +32 volt for playfield coils/flash lamps Right/Left.

Thanks for all the help guys I'm going to brush up on some DMM basics!

- - - Updated - - -

iEathands, If you can't work or understand a DMM, how can you expect to do technical PCB repairs! If you have major holes in your knowledge, maybe you need to read up on Basic electronics & Digital electronics before you do damage through ignorance. You should pay a pinball tech and watch him at work or at lest send your board out for repair.

Thanks Gemini, the plan wasn't to perform repairs myself! I just wanted to do some simple diagnosis before deciding whether the board required a simple repair and I'd just send it out for repair or I was just going to buy a new replacement board. I'll be doing some reading up on the basics, just to understand how my pinball machine works to help diagnose issues. I'd still get it fixed by a professional.

Thanks Mate.

Thanks for the help guys, looked for some of the simpler things to check with the DMM.

Looks like it is probably as simple as the F7 fuse on the PPB being blown. It didn't look blown but I'm used to car fuses where it is pretty simple to see a blown fuse.

F7= 3a slo-blo +32 volt for playfield coils/flash lamps Right/Left.

Thanks for all the help guys I'm going to brush up on some DMM basics!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Gemini, the plan wasn't to perform repairs myself! I just wanted to do some simple diagnosis before deciding whether the board required a simple repair and I'd just send it out for repair or I was just going to buy a new replacement board. I'll be doing some reading up on the basics, just to understand how my pinball machine works to help diagnose issues. I'd still get it fixed by a professional.

Thanks Mate.

Put the correct rated fuse in