Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Has anyone used this mylar before

Hi guys

Just been striping the old mylar off my IJ that had gone real cloudy. Ordered the new pre-cut mylay for replacement and it arrived yesterday but it's THICK! The stuff I'm removing it a very thin film but this new stuff is almost a hard plastic, close to 1-1.5mm. Just though I would see if anyone has used this before, or just any thoughts?

Thanks

Tye

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161121/02c66e61ce2e3fa0c5fe468c72595875.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161121/424b779be6554654b919934e024361d4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys

Just been striping the old mylar off my IJ that had gone real cloudy. Ordered the new pre-cut mylay for replacement and it arrived yesterday but it's THICK! The stuff I'm removing it a very thin film but this new stuff is almost a hard plastic, close to 1-1.5mm. Just though I would see if anyone has used this before, or just any thoughts?

Thanks

Tye

That's a playfield protector, not mylar

supposed to be good, some use it as an alternative to clear coating, it can move up and down when the ball goes over it though

The protector is made of Makrolon - a type of polycarbonate. Mylar is a thin plastic film. Two different products.

I have it on a few of my machines. Great product. It doesn't adhere to the playfield in any way; it is kept in place by gravity and playfield components. The white film on top of it is just to protect the plastic from scratches. I haven't seen any of mine move at all during play. No issues with balls getting stuck on it.

The protector is made of Makrolon - a type of polycarbonate. Mylar is a thin plastic film. Two different products.

I have it on a few of my machines. Great product. It doesn't adhere to the playfield in any way; it is kept in place by gravity and playfield components. The white film on top of it is just to protect the plastic from scratches. I haven't seen any of mine move at all during play. No issues with balls getting stuck on it.

I have used this before its amazing, and have had no issues.

Just make sure you lay it flat for a few days with some books on it to keep it flat

Just a tip. Try and remove as much of the "swarf" (the plastic fillings) as you can prior to getting it anywhere near your machine. Just use a stanley knife or something and run it at 90 degrees across the edges where there are heaps of it.

I have protectors on two of my machines. Star wars DE and my hobbit. You can see on the hobbit where they didn't remove the little bits so they are stuck under the sheet. They can be a pain to remove later as they stick due to static so they don't blow out easily.

Edited by Koops

I have used them and they are great. Word of warning though the initial makrolon product was great. The new material they are using scratches up instantly even with new balls. Luckily I sourced the original material . I complained to the manufacturer and he said to keep polishing the scratches out. You would have to do it every few games!!! That one went in the bin.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I have used them and they are great. Word of warning though the initial makrolon product was great. The new material they are using scratches up instantly even with new balls. Luckily I sourced the original material . I complained to the manufacturer and he said to keep polishing the scratches out. You would have to do it every few games!!! That one went in the bin.

So your saying this one might not be as good ?

What kind of time frame are we talking? I agree that they do scratch up, even with new balls, but still do their job protecting the playfield, and still look better than the playfield does without it.

What kind of time frame are we talking? I agree that they do scratch up, even with new balls, but still do their job protecting the playfield, and still look better than the playfield does without it.

How meany games before you would think about replacing one ?

Are they flexible? I.e. for shooter lanes?

Nope. Most have a branch off to the shooter lane which ends with an inverted v just above the top of the groove. You would think it would start curling but seems to work, stay flat and do it's job.

I've not heard this before. Does this relate just to the V2 protectors?

How meany games before you would think about replacing one ?

In my opinion, you wouldn't. It's job is to protect the playfield. It also happens to make a game look better. The time taken ripping everything off and removing it wouldn't be worth replacing it with a new one. As long as it's still there, it will protect the playfield, so I wouldn't worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope. Most have a branch off to the shooter lane which ends with an inverted v just above the top of the groove. You would think it would start curling but seems to work, stay flat and do it's job.

This is correct. They don't so much act as a shooter lane protector. They are not terribly flexible once on the playfield.

Cool, thanks for all the help and info guys. And the tip about getting any swarf off before, good thinking! I'm almost ready, couple more days and I'll be there ....http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/b75d71b66831ed93cca88074f37404c6.jpg