Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

New Astro City ps1 and light gun.

m4me

Question

I have a new Astro City cabinet that I was aiming to connect to a ps1 and use a light gun.

The cab currently has a wei-ya C31291A chassis which connects via vga (d-sub) to my Namco 256. The chassis is capable of 15/24/31khz but doesn't seem to get video from jamma, only vga. I have tested this with a 60 in 1 pcb.

Would it be as simple as getting a composite to vga adapter to connect the ps1 to the monitor? As I don't need to switch or upscale the resolution. It is also possible to get an s-video output for ps1 if it is easier to go from s-video to vga.

The light gun connects through rca between the ps1 and tv using an adapter to get video.

There is a bit of information out there but it is usually for connecting to a 31khz monitor. I will need to retain15khz from the console.

guncon-b.gif

10 answers to this question

I'd recommend Dragonlee's suggestion just below, instead of mine, which i'll leave here for posterity ;)

A composite-to-VGA adapter is not going to work. A composite-to-VGA converter will, but will output 31kHz. And will lose video quality to boot. It might be the simplest option, however. Especially given the Video breakout needed for the lightgun. Do you really need 15kHZ? (S-Video would be nicer, but I don't think it will work with the lightgun adapter).

The PS1 outputs RGBS natively, that's as nice as its video output gets, and if possible you should just feed that straight through the VGA socket of the chassis - if you're sure the chassis will take 15kHz that way? Use Luma as sync if you want to, it might make a tiny difference.

The best way would be to get a PS1 RGB SCART cable lose the SCART plug and rewire that end to a VGA plug and audio breakout, and a Video breakout too. Even cheaper is a PS3 component cable for like $4, just for the fully-populated Playstation AV connector - split that carefully with a hammer and go from there. Just don't assume the PS3 component cable is an RGB cable. Eviltim's site has the extra components for a PS1 RGB cable detailed. The other pinouts are all online and easy to find, you just have to work out if your chassis would like C-Sync delivered to VGA pin 13 or 14 (prob 13, via Luma or composite video, here).

If you're not comfortable doing that though, I would recommend the first route above. But if you really wanted to you could use something like these 4 in a chain: (I'm willing to bet the lightgun breakout only has the 4 pins it needs and not one more. So no RGB or Luma from it. And also why you can't use S-video.)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-METRES-SCART-Cable-to-SVGA-VGA-15-PIN-Female-Socket-2m-/361521312063?hash=item542c59713f:g:SUYAAOSwxcRW-RbB

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOP-Scart-Coupler-Joiner-21p-Female-to-Female-Socket-Connecter-Adapter-Convertor-/111450844431?hash=item19f2fced0f:g:vQ8AAOSwQItT~aOE

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SCART-to-SCART-with-Passthrough-Breakout-Female-RCA-Phono-Audio-Connectors-/302113880997?hash=item465763fba5:g:czgAAOSwPCVX-myN

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GA52284-T114H-SCART-ADAPTOR-AV-BREAKOUT-IN-OUT-PLUS-S-VIDEO-/131795212356?hash=item1eaf9b5844:g:ByMAAOSw2s1UrQZg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RGB-SCART-Cable-TV-AV-Lead-for-Playstation-PS1-PS2-PS3-Slim-Line-Game-Consoles-/142152604996?hash=item2118f49d44:g:68oAAOSw-CpYBZ8O

Note that the length of cable there is not ideal, and neither is the number of adapters in the middle. (I couldn't find a female-Scart to Male VGA on ebay.) You'll also need to make sure the SCART wiring is right - male to male cables are always crossover, so I assume the female-female adapter would be as well. Lastly, ebay is full of PS1 RGB scart cables that are not RGB at all but merely AV. There are expensive, top-quality sources, but I'm not sure of your budget. The one I linked says it's RGB, so you can get your money back if need be, but you lose a month each time waiting.

EDIT: If the Lightgun adapter has all 12 pins in the AV connectors on each end, I'd assume you can use RGB through it, and lose the 4th item in the list above. Or use S-Video with the first option. You might want to confirm that though. Just because the pins are there doesn't mean they're wired.

Edited by buttersoft

Run the Ps1 guns direct to the console not through the timer board..

if you going to run the controllers then you need to bridge a wire from pin 27 and 28 to pin 1 on the Jamma harness or block pin 27 and 28 on the timer board ...if you don't then you joystick and button won't register at all..

Thank you so much for all the information, definitely gives me a lot to go off.

After dragonlee's post I tried to think if I had seen any dip switches (at work so can't check) and saw the chassis pictures here, turns out there's a switch on my control board. You think I would have seen it after fiddling hundreds of times in the cp. Whether it still needs other dips changed I'm not sure yet but it solves a major issue and gives me a lot more options.

I tried searching why I had no jamma video before and thought I came to the answer it was just wired vga. Can actually test my cps2 board now.

Really appreciate you taking the time to post.

Does that PS1 board have a video breakout? If not, you need to check if the lightgun-adapter has all 12 pins on each end. If it doesn't, then you can't use the board without adding a video breakout.

Still the easiest option going though.

EDIT: Looks like the official SCPH-1160 breakout does RGB, so you should be all set.

A little update on this project. Plus a little help would be great.

I went ahead and got a fat PS2 instead and set it up with games on a HDD, bought a few light guns etc. All the cables are interchangeable.

Instead of the timer board i decided to make the Saturn to Jamma Project using the LM1881 circuit to create video sync.

IMG_20170212_112145.jpg

It turns out my arcades only take video over VGA, but it is auto 15/24/31khz according to the chassis (wei-ya C31291A). I traced the video wires from the jamma harness and they end up at a 15 pin amp-up connector not plugged into anything. The only dip switch i have is the impedance switch on the control board for 75 ohm and 1k ohm so looks like i can manually switch modes.

Can i just solder a d-sub to my box (having the video running to both jamma and vga for future use) or attach one to the 15 pin amp-up and run that to my monitor? With the LM1881 circuit i have Red, Green, Blue, Ground and Composite Sync. I'd need to have the jamma connected anyway as it takes +5v and ground from the harness for the circuit. Seems like this is back to what buttersoft was saying originally about wiring the vga.

I can't find my chassis manual but another wei-ya has this:

DSUB.png

So I'd use 1-R, 2-G, 3-B, Ground, 13-CSync.