Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

PinballX overwriting VP key mappings

benird

Question

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of help. After tweaking my VP cab all weekend and installing, finally, my IPAC without it clashing with my DMD I'm up to getting all my extra buttons to work, mag saves, extra ball buy-in, F3 to reload PInMAME to fix sticky flippers, pause, etc, etc.

However what I've noticed is that PinballX likes to dictate to Visual Pinball what my keys are. This isn't usually a problem for the standard buttons but since the keyboard I've got installed doesn't distinguish between L & R Ctrl I've mapped my mag saves to different keys. And I've noticed that every time I set analogue nudging on in VP and change the Tilt Sensitivity from the default 400 to another value PinballX turns back off Analogue Nudging and resets the Tilt Sensitivity to 400.

Does anyone know how to stop PinballX from resetting VP key binds/settings to the default?

I use both VP 9.9.2 and VP 10.2. I prefer PinballX to Hyper Pin due to it's ease of config and it's menu system.

8 answers to this question

Are you sure it's Pinball X changing those settings? Doesn't sound like something Pinball X would do to me.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I'm pretty sure. To test, from Windows 10 I:

• Started VP9
  • changed the key mappings in VP9
  • loaded a table and ran it
  • Exited VP 9 and started VP 9 again
  • checked the key mappings were still right
  • loaded a different table and played it
  • Exited VP 9 and loaded VP 10
  • set the key mappings
  • Exited VP 10 and loaded VP 9
  • checked that the VP 9 keymappings were still et
  • exited VP 9 and loaded VP 10
  • checked VP 10 mappings were still set
  • loaded a VP 10 table
  • Played it and exited table
  • exited VP 10 and re started VP 10
  • checked key mappings wer still set in VP 10
  • exited VP 10 and loaded VP 9
  • checked key mappings were right in VP 9
  • exited VP 9
  • loaded PinballX
  • Exited Pinball x
  • Loaded VP 9 and checked kaymappings they were changed back to default
  • exited VP 9 and loaded VP 10
  • VP 10 key mappings were also back to default

This is what lead me to think it was PinballX so I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar issue ad how they got around it.

Having a look around it seems that PinballX does override VP key mappings but I can't find how to prevent it doing it or set PinballX analogue nudging.

Hmm.... it still seems a weird thing. Just to cover the basics though.... you don't have a different VPinball.exe that Pinball X is using do you?

Yeah it is odd and no I run c:\visual pinball\vpinball992.exe both from desktop and PinballX. PinballX has its launch table parameters though.

I had a thought over night that I might check the Override Default Layout option in VP to see if that helps, but I'm not sure, I can't find a lot on what that checkbox actually does (besides override the default layout, but what does that mean?)

That is really odd - the settings for VPinball are written into the Windows Registry file, so how is PinballX changing those settings when it should be storing its own??

It may be worthwhile getting onto Tom Spiers (authour of PinballX) and letting him know what's happening. It may well be something he's stumbled across before and can suggest a fix for.

I can update and add that this has now been addressed in PinballX by Tom - as of v2.32 it now uses Magna-Save instead of Nudge for Page Left/Right. I'm just now downloading v2.36 and will report back to confirm if it is indeed fixed. Edited by OzStick