Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hello Gamers!! Looking for advice.

Hi All

This is not my usual section, so please be gentle.

A quick background, if you will bear with me.

I am, lets say middle aged, (more like 2/3 aged), I don't play games, I am not a gamer, I know almost zilch about modern consoles.

HOWEVER, years ago I bought my young at the time sons a brand new N64. They loved it, I thought MEH!

Bought them lots of games as time went on. Weirdly I started playing one called Banjo Kazooie, and I swear I didn't put it down for a month!

No interest in anything else until I started hanging out for Banjo Tooie. Again hooked until I finished it. Many allnighters.

Years later, I heard about Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, so I went straight and bought a XBox 360 and the game (utter crap).

I never played a single game, but my now older boys loved the Xbox and many games over the following years.

However I HATE those stupid FPS kill everything and everyone in sight games, so no interest whatsoever.

Cut to now, about 2 years ago I heard about a Kickstarter fund for a new game Yooka Laylee, by the same design team as BK & BT from Rareware.

So ponied up my $200 for the game and a bunch of goodies. The Kickstarter was a massive success and now it is coming to the pointy end and I need to make a call.

As part of my package I will get a PC version of the game (curious but probably will never use it, BUT I need to decide on a console format.

My dilemma is this. My boys have grown and moved on, so they aren't really into new console games that much any more, so no advice from them.

So, I guess my question is, What is the best console to get, XBone or PS4, and which model of those is the best to get.

Remember I am starting from a base of near zero knowledge about these and will probably not use it for many other games (unless one of my boys gets interested again) but will use some of the other features.

I realize it's subjective, but I haven't kept up with developments so don't know what features I should look out for. Will be playing on a 10 year old (but good) panasonic 40" plasma, or a 4 year old middling 50" lg.

Gut feel is towards a XBone, because I think the older 360 games will run on it? but I want future proof as much as possible. Is there a new wiz-bang model coming soon I should wait for? Elite model ? SSd model"?

Price guide? Best place to buy? (not a great fan of EB Games, but if that is how it has to be!)

Any advice / guidance is much appreciated.

Wolfy

In terms of standard models, the PS4 is arguably more powerful and more successful (it sold more). Therefore the market is potentially larger. If you're not a big gamer then I wouldn't bother with either pro model. Heck, I game and even not going to bother with the pro models.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Nothing but Xboxes here. My boys play all the versions. The 15 year old is on the 1TB Xbox one most of his life. Had to go up to the 1TB version because he downloads a lot of games that need to be stored on the machine. He had a 500Gb but it maxed out pretty quickly. You can run external USB HDDs but not suitable for his use having an external hard drives hanging off them.

My 21 year old has all the Xbox models as well. He uses his original Xbox mostly because it is chipped with about 30 of the games and heaps of videos he plays. Things like music views and movies he likes are all on that machine.

I have found the original classic Xbox pretty much bullet proof reliability wise. 360s are a bit fragile. The Xbox ones, no major issues yet. The disc player is the weak link in all of them so always check the quality of it if you grab something second hand. I have bought both new machines and EB reconditioned units and found the recos better value as they have the same warranty but EB will straight swap where as new MS requires the machine to be sent off.

The recos are also about 1/2 the price of the new machines.

I'd go with the PS4 500gb or 1TB version. Wouldn't bother with the PRO version unless you're sure you want to use PSVR. I'm quite happy with my standard PS4 and don't feel like I'm missing much not having an XBOne (Xbox exclusives don't interest me as much and ones that may will likely get PC releases nowadays).

But as you're not that big a console gamer in general I don't think it will really matter which console you get. If you can manage to get a XBOne for significantly less than a PS4, I'd say go for it.

As to the backwards compatibility of 360 titles on XBOne, that's a specific library. But it is growing as support is developed for more titles - which might have interested me more if I were a bigger console gamer and had invested more in the 360 than the PS3 during that generation.

Where to get them? EB or JB are both fine, wherever you can get the better deal. Or you could get one 2nd hand from a fellow AA'er, just keep an eye out in the console section of the sales board.

Both consoles are having 4k revisions done with the ps4 pro out already but the xbox version the scorpio yet to be released, in terms of which will be more powerful most likely the scorpio it would seem http://au.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Scorpio_vs._PlayStation_4_Pro_Comparison_Chart.

For the currently released models in your situation I'd be more likely to recommend the xbox one, it does retain backwards compatibility with 360 games and the amount of titles increases as time goes on, also given your enjoyment of rare titles you would probably enjoy the xbox exclusive Rare Replay which includes the Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie titles that you enjoyed and you may like Conker's Bad Fur Day.

There are various models with different hard drive sizes but you can upgrade the hdd yourself and they are on sale more often and cheaper then a ps4. The Xbox One S is the latest revision that is smaller and added 4k blu ray support http://au.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_S_vs_Xbox_One_Comparison_Chart but the original models will work fine for you and be $100 cheaper. At Christmas times there were heaps of deals for $300 with games to clear older models, not sure what is out there now.

No point in buying current gen consoles, as there are new versions coming soon.

The casual gamer will not be able to pick differences.

Choice probably would be decided by exclusive games, content or controller preference.

• Administrators
My 15 year old daughter saved up and bought a PS4 about 6 months ago? Got about 12 games, played it haphazardly on and off for a bit and just sold it. Promptly bought and Xbox One. She plays it more than the PS4 but how long will that last :unsure

My 15 year old daughter saved up and bought a PS4 about 6 months ago? Got about 12 games, played it haphazardly on and off for a bit and just sold it. Promptly bought and Xbox One. She plays it more than the PS4 but how long will that last :unsure

She might have switched consoles because her friends have an Xbox?

My neighbour's 17yr old daughter just uses an Xbox to have party chats with their friends (cost is free) and watch Youtube celeb & make up videos.

While chatting with her girlfriends while the boys in their group play games.

She might have switched consoles because her friends have an Xbox?

My neighbour's 17yr old daughter just uses an Xbox to have party chats with their friends (cost is free) and watch Youtube celeb & make up videos.

While chatting with her girlfriends while the boys in their group play games.

I have to admit I find that both hilarious but also kinda cool. I wish I'd grown up in a world where you could hang out and game like that.

• 2 weeks later...
It really is personal preference and game exclusivity to the console. I have both, but one thing that frustrates regarding the XBOX ONE is that every game installs to the hard-disk and downloads additional data....(ie. buy a game today, and be able to play it 4 days later (due to my slow internet connection)).

Afraid day one patching is fairly standard nowadays with fixed release schedules by publishers it's usually out of a developers hands to say we need more time. Instead they press the master copy for release and during the months it takes to press and distribute the retail copies they finish as much as the bugs as they can and have a patch ready for launch, which as I understand it you get one free patch with a game release on PSN / Xbox Live and then its something like $10k to release a patch after that. Which is why it can take months / a new content update to fix some bugs.

I have to admit I find that both hilarious but also kinda cool. I wish I'd grown up in a world where you could hang out and game like that.

It's cool in some respects but I dunno, in the same vein online multiplayer has killed the social aspect of getting together with your mates to play games.

I remember spending whole weekends in the late 80's playing Ebonstar on the Amiga with friends. 4 people on the same keyboard flying little ships around in deatchmatch ! And Lugging your big heavy PC and monitor around to your mates and setting up all on the lounge room table for LAN parties. it was so much fun. And you could still get drunk together :)