Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Virtual Reality (VR) Pinball is the missing link between Virtual Pinball & Real Pins

ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

Question

Update: If you're new to this thread, just skip to post #47 as we're not using the Remap board as discussed up until then.

I just got a PS VR and am enjoying Pinball FX2 VR on my PS4. I must say it's a real game changer.

I own 2 real pinballs (and am/was(?) in the process of building a VP - long story) and I've heard others say that VP is crap because it's just not the same as real pinball (being 2d and all). Now with VR pinball, I personally feel that 'just not the same' feeling has been removed. Playing tables in VR feels like you're playing at a real pinball. Having played the tables in Zen Pinball, I must say it's amazing playing the same tables in PBFX2 VR, going from a flat 2d playfield to a fully immersing 3D playfield.

And now with the PinSim (http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/569647-how-build-pinsim-virtual-reality-pinball-machine/) you can make it feel like your standing at a real table while playing VR pinball.

The above link is for an Occulus Rift/PC version, but with this PS4 remap board (

) you can build your own PS4 PinSim.

I've ordered a remap board and @hotty's gonna help me build one (and thanks to @DallasJ for steering me in the right direction to find the remap board).

Watch this space for more details in the (hopefully) near future... Now, if only Pinball Arcade went full VR on a PS4!!

Edited by ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma

• Answers 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

OK jitter tilt problem resolved for Pinball arcade plunger action with sliding linear pot works perfectly, but still want to try a few more scenario's and see if the circuit can be simplified or eliminate the analogue controllers and substitute for other switch combo's. It's been a challenge but finally starting to work as it should.

Ok. More progress on my "PS Pinsim".

Here is v3.0 of the test rig.

IMG_3150.thumb.jpg.a9d0f3407123a98aa3b91912c195e50b.jpg

Massive thanks again to @hotty who, as you can see below, has now setup a temporary nifty little test sliding potentiometer and got rid of the juttering issue we had last time (he can explain what it was as I didn't understand the explanation).

IMG_3151.thumb.jpg.2cc35c5ad59f327ba5675c8bab89aa42.jpgIMG_3152.thumb.jpg.c9ac019c08ee430a535be78f42ba2269.jpgIMG_3153.thumb.jpg.89cf4d25f1e33c3533007327df3d94d5.jpg

Hotty was able to test using The Pinball Arcade on his PS3 and got it all working.

We're now one step closer to building the real deal, but when I went to test it tonight on a PS4, I got the following results:

- The Pinball Arcade works flawlessly, plunger works like the real thing on both PS3 & 4. All buttons work (nudging to come later)

- Zen Pinball 2 - there's an issue 'launching' games. I couldn't get to play a game :cry. Usually with the controller, you press X to 'launch a game', but for some reason when you press the X button on the test rig (at that point), it doesn't register. Get out of that part of the game, and X works as normal for all navigation within the games menu's. And this is on both PS3 & 4 :realmad:.

- Pinball FX2 VR - exactly the same issue as Zen PB2

So I wasn't able to test the slider in zen and pbfx2 vr yet, but if it ends up working like it does on TPA... Happy Days!!

I've yet to tell hotty what's happening with X. Will update the thread if/when we work it out.

Plug it into windows and check that all the inputs buttons work then check your game config. or did you touch something again? If all fails throw it out and buy a real pinball machine. This is like fitting a square peg into a round hole.

well you have TPA working and that's the main thing!

Zen and FX2 are both rubbish anyway, more arcade and kiddie than trying to sim pinball.

It's a pity you can't use Visual PInball 10 with your PS4. As that is easily the best Pinball sim around nowadays. big leaps and bounds with version 10.

i've read you can use your PSVR on PC these days with something like Trinus or Riftcat ?

i bought a $15 "VR Box 2" and use my Galaxy S4 and stream content and games from the PC and it's actually not bad at all for some of the VR-specific apps and watching VR videos. especially when i've only spent $15.

naturally i had to check out VR p0rn too, but it was rubbish you only seem to have a 180degree view of goings on :D

I think your problem can be fixed with a sledge hammer. But there is one other option Id like to try before I burn it and that's putting a double pole or even dual action button with X button and series up the slider VCC in series with a N/C contact. As X is always N/O when you press it to start a game ( your issue with the plunger slider pot and X as described you cant start a game) you will close X and open the plunger but might have to open the plunger contact first ever so slightly before activating X and I think that will solve your problem with Zen and FX.

If not stay tuned for the next pic or video of @ ItsUrFeminitzNYImNietYoma wearing his VR in a very unusual way I give him the 4D experience.:laugh:

Shoot, just realised it's been ages since my last update (life getting in the way).

It looked like my X button issue was being caused by the slider, so @hotty added a button that sits in between X and the Plunger/Slider. The idea was (hopefully I don't stuff this up. He can chime in if I get it wrong) to temporarily disconnect the plunger and press X all at the same time, then go back to normal when the button is released.

This seemed to work, but then I noticed it still won't work in PBFX2 or any of the Zen games on the PS4. Hotty seems to think that it could either be a ps4 issue or a coding issue in the zen games on ps4.

So... I was meant to take my ps4 to his house so we could do some more tests, but... long story short, I accidentally dropped the test rig while the usb cable was plugged into the brook board and I ripped the usb port from the brook board. Hotty's not sure how to fix it so I've just ordered another board and am waiting on delivery (may take a few weeks from o/seas).

So sorry for the crappy update.

Fab means to say a slight time delay between the plunger and the X button is whats required so when X is pressed the plunger is disconnected momentarily prior to X closing. Issue seems to be with PS4 only all other versions are OK

It's been a while but @hotty and I had some time this afternoon to get together and work some more on this project.

I'm happy to say that we (hotty!!) finally, with a lot of tinkering, got the X button and @OzStick's plunger to work together. Hotty tinkered with some switches (circled) and found a way to get them to work together (the up pointing arrow is pointing to the temporary X button).

What he did is proprietary and we don't want to tell what he did yet in case someone decides to steal it :lol:

ejZfftZ.jpg

Here's the heart of our test rig that is making all this possible on a PS3/4 (Brook board circled):

bwy4ZlB.jpg

As you can see hotty has gone to a lot of trouble making and wiring up this test rig.

So now we have a real plunger working on the PS4. Tested and working on:

- Zen Pinball FX2 VR

- Zen pinball FX3

- Zen pinball FX2

- Pinball Arcade

- Stern Pinball Arcade

As I write this I haven't tested it on the PS3 but it should work as it did in previous tests.

Next on the list is to tinker with some mercury switches for nudging by piggy backing them to the up/left/right d-pad (you can set Zen tables to nudge by either left stick or d-pad. It's going to be easier piggy backing to d-pad than to use them with the left stick).

So we're nearly ready to build something similar to these:

HasQPTX.png

ITAeo5m.png

KDKmKoH.png

@Martymainframe are you watching...?

It's been a while and although it looks rough as guts with that jungle of wires and ancient buttons it finally works! Stay tuned it can only get easier from now on. The real achievement is with the VR interfacing working properly.

It's been a while since the last update but @hotty was finally well enough to pick up my empty Flintstones cab and start working on it. Seeing as I couldn't sell it as a VP Project, we decided to cut it up and use it for this build.

F0vFW70.png

We thought it would be a good idea to use an existing cab as the holes, locking mechanism, lockdown bar, coin door, leg mounting brackets etc etc were already there and all these items would add weight to the thing, therefore hopefully feeling more like the real thing (fingers crossed). The top is going to be hinged and open upwards like a school desk, therefore hotty's going to stick the side rails to the top instead of the sides of the cab so they lift up with the panel when opened, but still be flush with the sides when closed.

More build pics to come asap.

Stay tuned it can only get easier from now on.

What an under statement:unsure But it's finally coming together, a little bit more tweaking a couple of cosmetic things i'm not too happy with but this is no real pinball either so his eyes will be covered any way when he's playing. Some pics to follow.

Edited by hotty

Some great progress on this. After hotty's tinkering and building the cab, the artwork is all done and on. All that's left to do now is the wiring and it's finished.

Remember this was a Flintstones cab so the lock down bar and mech, the side rails, the front leg bolts and coin door were already there to be used and to add weight.

Here's are pics of artwork. The top, sides and back was artwork I found on Deviant Art. The front was Zen Pinball artwork I downloaded from their website. I just added logos and a few extras.

Note: I've blurred out the coin door sticker I made as I'm not happy with it atm and am going to change it asap. (spewing the lock down bar had rivets put into it :realmad: but it still looks great)

Top & Front (need to find a pink button for the square button).

Vnu5lSc.jpg

The back (if you zoom in (sorry not the bet quality pic) between the PFX3 and Stern logos you can see the Brooks daughter board that you plug the usb cable into to connect the 'controller' to your PS3/4 or PC. Unfortunately it's not wireless.)

u38jjq9.jpg

Sides

ZCa3HSl.jpg

du1kvrJ.jpg

Here's how hotty tackled the side rails

Closed

NSNaRKD.jpg

and open

ePXRnE3.jpg

Again, I can't thank Hotty enough for all the work (and especially R&D he's put into this project)